First Solo

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 2 months

Woo hoo Today i flew my first ever solo in a Grob 103 (Viking Glider), it was unbelievable, the feeling is so great being on your own up there and having absolute control of the aircraft. Im on a high now. yeah yeah :) :) :) :D :D :D.

Well that my 2 cents, if anyone want more info about it just ask,

so what about others, what was your first solo in and what was it like?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well done heyphil! It's an accomplishment in life that you'll never forget.

Grob Viking, eh? So presumably you're on a Gliding Proficiency course with the Air Training Corps? That's the course I did when I got my first solo, a quick circuit in a Slingsby Venture in... (thumbs through his old 3822) August 1987. God now I feel old!

Anyway, many congratulations, and I hope it's the first of many flights to come.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Yep i sure am. Altough it is called a gliding scholorship nowadays. It was great. Only a 5 minute flight on my own but it seemed so much longer. Now ive got one solo under my belt, there will be many more where those came from. Cheers for the congratulations

Member for

24 years 3 months

Many Congratulations, my first solo was in March this year in a Cessna 172 in California. However I am now back and taking full advantage of the current weather, logged 5 1/2 hours in the last week and am due to fly again tomorrow for a couple, lets hope the weather stays fair during the week.

Enjoy yourself heyphil

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well done Heyphil. I did a bit of gliding last year at Husbands Bosworth, it was great fun, but was unable to continue just because I don't really have the time at the moment. I will hopefully start again but would really love to do my ppl.

Neal

Member for

24 years 3 months

Brilliant! Well done that man.

Me? A still, warm evening in June 1988, flying the trusty PA38 G-BKCY from Wellesbourne.

I can still remember every second of the flight, and somewhere I have the photo of me grinning like an idiot afterwards.

Where's your pic?

Moggy - Still grinning after all these years :D

Member for

24 years 3 months

there will be many more where those came from

There won't be another one quite like it! No more reasons for doubt - nobody else was there, and you have become, without argument, a pilot. Congratulations!
The thing I remember most about my first solo was falling into a common C152 trap - putting on the parking brake at the hold with the nosewheel turned to one side - you have to get out and straighten it by hand! A blunder brought on by nerves, but never mind - still a magical moment impossible to repeat. :)

Member for

20 years 2 months

Which squadron are you from, and which airfield did you solo from?

Im from 1924 sqn, in surrey wing, L&SER. I soloed from 615 vgs at RAF Kenley. Well done on getting the micro light course, im gunna apply soon

There won't be another one quite like it!

I dont doubt that for a minute. Wow, it was so cool!

Member for

20 years 8 months

Great stuff.. well done! My first solo was in a Cessna 150 at RAF Akrotiri in 1995. You will never forget the first solo. Took me a week to climb down from the high it gave me :)

On my return from Cyprus I flew with 616 VGS at Henlow for about a year. The Vigilant was a lot of fun to fly.

Member for

24 years 3 months

First solo was in a PA-28, 31-12-97 @ BAe Prestwick. Even had a birdstrike to make it more exciting. The best way to begin my New Year celebrations.

Almost 3000 hrs later I still get a buzz every time but you never ever forget that first one - I was still "flying" 24 hours later! Never mind a can of Red Bull, the real thing is the only way to go.

Well done, and here's to more for you.

Member for

20 years 4 months

Well done and all that, just wait until you get to the Nav, the smile soon turns.

Regards

R.weaver

Safe legal flying

Member for

20 years 4 months

Woo hoo Today i flew my first ever solo in a Grob 103 (Viking Glider), it was unbelievable, the feeling is so great being on your own up there and having absolute control of the aircraft. Im on a high now. yeah yeah :) :) :) :D :D :D.

Well that my 2 cents, if anyone want more info about it just ask,

so what about others, what was your first solo in and what was it like?

Well done old chap! Mine was in 1992 (I think - haven't got the log book with me) at 611 VGS when they were still at Swanton Morley. I remember the PLF vividly. Just past 250 ft on the wire when the instructor told me, in very unflattering terms to "sort that one out!" and pulled the plug........ several anxious minutes later, after having staggered rounds the circuit at just over 60 knots, I landed, to be told "If you ever do that to me again you b*stard, I'll kill you...!" (I was not a cadet, I would like to point out, but an RAFVR(T) Fg. Off at the time...!). At that point, I swore blind I would never get in a glider again. Three hours later after a coffee and lunch, I went solo!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well done and all that, just wait until you get to the Nav, the smile soon turns.

Regards

R.weaver

Safe legal flying

Can you please tell me what is wrong with the Nav exam? I took mine recently (as I did all the others) and had no great problem with it at all. Have others had major problems with Nav? Am I just odd in being able to read a map, draw lines on it and operate a whiz wheel?

Member for

20 years 4 months

Can you please tell me what is wrong with the Nav exam? I took mine recently (as I did all the others) and had no great problem with it at all. Have others had major problems with Nav? Am I just odd in being able to read a map, draw lines on it and operate a whiz wheel?

If you check some previous threads you will see that young R has had all sorts of problems with this including, apparently his examiner. Kev35 and I had comments to make on that, but I don't know how well (or not) they were received. Mind you, without being unkind, if you look at the current thread about flying clubs/school, which is causing hell and all confusion (!), I wonder whether young R has difficulty in expressing himself coherently. That comment is not meant in a derogatory sense or intended to cause offence, but it does make you wonder.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I suspect that his brain is working too fast for his fingers to keep up.

That could also be the problem he has with exams, though he swears that he was right up against the clock on his last Nav exam.

Funny. I always loved Nav. Still do. :)

Moggy

Member for

20 years 4 months

Funny. I always loved Nav. Still do. :)

Moggy

I must admit that one of most enjoyable, if intense courses I have done with the ATC is the RAFVR(T) Nav Course at RAFC Cranwell at the Nav School (45(R) Sqn, previously 6 FTS). After a week of intensive tuition, we spent an afternoon in the Dominie simulator doing a real time Navex using VOR, DME etc from St Mawgan to Leuchars, with a last minute diversion to Lossiemouth due to "bad weather". It was hard work, but immensely enjoyable and I was like a wet rag after it finished!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Odd.

'Flying Club' thread just disapppeared

Moggy

Member for

20 years 4 months

Back to the thread . . .

Well done, there is only one other thing that you do for the first time that leaves a similar smile on your face (and it can work out just as expensive in the long run!).

Mine was 2 June 1992. Rollason Condor G-AVOH from Thruxton. Simon Cottrell was the instructor and it was about 7pm when I got back. Simon opened the cockpit and said "You look like a dog with two d*cks!"

Went to France for the La Ferte show the next morning and had to buy champers for the guys there.

Melvyn Hiscock

Member for

20 years 9 months

That sunset looks the perfect end to a very good day for you. Congratulations and good luck with the rest of your flying.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Well done!

Gosh, those wings are very smart ;) They never looked like that when I flew Vikings. How long have they been painting them day-glo? And does it help you see them a mile off?

Member for

20 years 2 months

That sunset looks the perfect end to a very good day for you.

It was. What a great end!

How long have they been painting them day-glo? And does it help you see them a mile off?

I'm not sure how long they have been painted like that for. And it does help you see them, Apart from when they are at certain angles they are almost invisible.

Thank you very much everyone, for the congatulations that you all have given me.

:) :) :)