Hawker P.1224 - a Ramp launched, tail-sitting recovery unmanned fighter !

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 4 months

Just found somewhere out there in the www ... sorry :mad: but I dont't know the link anymore !

Seems to be a Hawker/BAe Project called P.1224 !

All I found more () is this:

- Ramp launched, tail-sitting recovery unmanned fighter
- Rolls-Royce Viper, Adour, Spey or General Electric CJ.610/J.85
- 1983-87
- Various configurations

... but this one looks a little bit like the Italer/Testors F-19 kit ! ;)

Does anyone have some more information ???

Deino :)

Original post

Member for

24 years 4 months

if you look its got two absolutely huge (in comparison) missiles on it...or is it 4?

am looking tony butlers british secret fighter projects since 1949 and I can only find up to P.1216 and that line of aircraft had nothing to do with ramp launched uav's

hawker, on their own dont get past the 1150's

so is this a windup?

:rolleyes:

coanda

Member for

24 years 4 months

Originally posted by coanda
if you look its got two absolutely huge (in comparison) missiles on it...or is it 4?

am looking tony butlers british secret fighter projects since 1949 and I can only find up to P.1216 and that line of aircraft had nothing to do with ramp launched uav's

hawker, on their own dont get past the 1150's

so is this a windup?

:rolleyes:

coanda

I did the same thing - but if you look in the appendix at the back - the Hawker list goes up to P.1226 - but skips from P.1221 (IIRC).

No mention of P.1224 though.........

Member for

24 years 4 months

Originally posted by Flanker_man
I did the same thing - but if you look in the appendix at the back - the Hawker list goes up to P.1226 - but skips from P.1221 (IIRC).

No mention of P.1224 though.........

Hmm ... that's the most complete list I found so far !

Sorry that I forgot to add that link in my first post:

http://www.harrier.org.uk/history/projects.htm

Regarding the missiles they look renarkable simmilar to Sky Flash !? ... but I'm not sure

Member for

24 years 4 months

Deino

would it be possible to post the drawing in a much greater size so that we can see some details written on it. I think we would understand more about that project.

Thanks!

Werty

Member for

24 years 4 months

Originally posted by Werty
Deino

would it be possible to post the drawing in a much greater size so that we can see some details written on it. I think we would understand more about that project.

Thanks!

Werty

Sorry no !!! This is the original size in which I found the drawing !

By the way I found the link again !

http://groups.msn.com/TSR-2ResearchGroup/miscukprojectdrawings.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=123

Sorry !!

Deino :cool:

Member for

24 years 4 months

thanx for the link.......the TSR2 is my fave aircraft.....ever!

flanker_man is correct the appendix skips from 1221 to 1226......i think that this is because of the way tony has decided to include designs......doesnt look like this one made it very far at all........

coanda

Member for

20 years 3 months

Deino

The missiles are AMRAAMs.

Where'd you get the picture? Not off my website, Harrier.org.uk. I have seen a copy of the original GA though, at Brooklands Museum.

The other configs looked very different, with regular wings etc. The idea of the P.1224 was that it would be used to clobber a first wave of MiGs coming from East Germany (as a prelude to Armageddon!). This would preserve NATO fighters for later on in the battle. It was later re-numbered P.1243, but looked the same as in your post.

More info on this project can be found in a paper I did for the Society of Automotive Engineers, available at:
http://www.sae.org/servlets/productDetail?PROD_TYP=PAPER&PROD_CD=2003-01-3050

They make you pay, but I don't get a penny - they have the copyright.

Mike

Member for

24 years 4 months

Hello HarrierEditor !!
thanks for Your reply ... I found that drawing "somewhere out there in the www." .... see two post before there's the link ! It's a "what-if" modelling forum or news group !

Regarding Your other informations thanks a lot and I deeply regret that there are still some P.XXXX numbers in Your list and Tony Buttler's book which are still secret !!!

Best regards,

Member for

20 years 3 months

Deino

Second attempt at posting reply. Damn 'puters!

The link was dead but I know who runs that site so will get in touch with him.

Regarding other P. numbers, I have a complete list but it is very messy. If you want to ask about stuff, I will try to answer. Only a few are still secret in that there are no pics, but what they were is known. The article I did has the P.1240 & '41 'stealth' fighters in it - one of which is like a V/STOL of that old F-19 model.

If you are serious about finding out you can visit/get in touch with Brooklands Museum archive. I could spend a year in there looking at all the stuff they have.

Mike