SPOTTED 2024, what have you seen, on the ground or in the air

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

3 months 3 weeks

Well another year starts, 2024. imagine 100 years back the excitement of spotting an aircraft, I still get that today when something flys overhead.

Have a great season everyone I look forward to the new sightings.

Original post

Member for

4 years 6 months

I will open the batting with a Wasp helicopter, 3 miles south of Bovingdon, heading east at 12.40,  very likely to North Weald, if it is the usual ferry flight from Yeovilton.  Usually it returns later in the afternoon, sometime with the Navy Wings Harvard, or Reliant- we'll see !

Maybe due to the very still, cold dense air, but I could hear that thing coming literally three minutes before it came overhead! 

Member for

3 months 3 weeks

Merlin engine powered aircraft, didn't see it only heard it over Essex about 11am, any ideas?

Member for

3 months 3 weeks

I am answering my own post. It was Marinell heading down to the south coast from Duxford

Member for

4 years 6 months

Mustang just now ( I can still hear it ! )   against the sun,  but looked red Tail.

1,000 ft over Little Chalfont ( Bucks)  northern edge of Heathrow zone,  heading west.   Peter T off to lunch, I imagine.

Member for

4 years 6 months

...and back again, just now, home to North Weald.

Great to see, in a brittle blue January sky.

Member for

3 months 3 weeks

Double Mustang, cant be bad  PS

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes, I've seen it for the first time this year, trundling porcinely towards Weston on the Green. 

Short Skyvan.

Member for

24 years 3 months

It's obviously the season for jumping out of perfectly good aeroplanes again,  as it's back again today. I'll try not to clog this thread up with Flying Shed sightings,  I promise...

ETA definitely the season,  I've seen it trundling by this afternoon as well. 

Member for

24 years 3 months

To my surprise, as it can't be "one of ours",  a Herk flying into Brize. The last time I was on the allotment I also got buzzed twice by you-know-what, obviously dodging London Oxford Airport as it heads for WotG.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Then you,  Professor M! 

Member for

20 years 7 months

Hawker Hurricane North of Cambridge yesterday 

Attachments

Member for

3 months 3 weeks

Wonderfull, R4118?

Member for

4 years 6 months

Scout helicopter 800 feet heading east, south of Hemel Hempstead. Not quite as noisy as the often-seen Wasp, but having a good go !

Member for

20 years 7 months

I thought i saw a P51 this morning but couldn't get a photo in time.North of Camb again.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Saw the P51 again yesterday , managed to grab this one  

Attachments

Member for

9 years 1 month

Spitfire G-ILDA has been flying from Lee-On-Solent this week. It has been repainted in an early war green/brown scheme with no codes. For film work maybe?

To-day it has been joined by Spitfire G-TCHI. Both from Goodwood. Operating from Lee has the benefit of a hard runway.

Member for

24 years 3 months

That could explain the Spitfire(s) I saw last June. We were on holiday, virtually on the beach, towards the western end of the Isle of Wight. On two consecutive mid-week days a Spitfire flew over mid-morning, heading at a guess somewhere in the general direction of The Needles.

Member for

19 years 6 months

It is finally turning Spring which means the local general aviation and warbirds will start to come out.

I did see something new today....a Cirrus Vision single engine jet. That's not too rare, there are 2-3 at the local GA field, but this was flying at 2000 feet,  just flying around like a 172. 

Usually, they take off and their on their way somewhere at altitude. A friend has one, he uses it for serious criss country travelling.