Airline Inflight Stuff...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 3 months

Sorry about the terrible title for the thread, if a mod fancies writing a new one then be my guest :D.

Just wondering how many people here have large piles of timetables, maps, cutlery, tickets, baggage labels, inflight magazines from their various flights (or even those things swiped off the desks of ticket offices). Wanted to see if there were any other nutters out there who come back brimming with airline branded things.

My pride and joy was something I found in a second hand bookshop when I was about 12. My parents pointed it out as something "interesting about aeroplanes to read." It's an inflight book, given to passengers aboard KLM long haul flights. This particular one is from a light in 1954 on KLM Connie PH-LDS from Amsterdam to Jakarta. It includes the flight log notes, a ticket, boarding pass, menus etc. Only thing its missing is the writing paper. Bought it for £2.50 it was an amazing find :D.

Original post

Member for

19 years 1 month

Not the like, but my dad has kept pretty much every boarding pass and IATA stuff of the flights he's been on.

Also, I wanted to steal the safety cards and in flight magazines from Alitalia's 767-300 last year, but my bag was a little bit too tiny... :p

Also, whenever my cousins go on flights, they try to bring back cutlery they didn't use.

Baggage labels.. they're too useless to be even considered for collecting.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Why dont we have a freebie contest to see who gets/blags the most stuff from their next flights!!

Member for

21 years 2 months

Have over 150 different airline in flight mags - not sure how rare any of them are but I do have a few from some extinct airlines like Dan Air, BCal,Laker, Courtline etc.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Ye inflight mags are what I collect.
I havnt got a big collection though mainly EI and IB with odd HV,UX,MA thrown in.

Member for

20 years 9 months

I have a fair number of safety cards. The most interesting of which is probabaly a BA 1-11. Also got Malaysia 747-400 and Fokker 50, Australian Airlines 767, + about 25 others.

Member for

18 years 8 months

I have a collection of overwing, emergency doors which is taking up most of my back garden, as well as several hundred life-jackets and a wide variety of telephone style announcement microphones. Examples from most popular types of aircraft are included and no reasonable offer will be refused.

Mike

PS Buyer collects

PPS just kidding :)

Member for

24 years 4 months

I salvaged a pile of material when our airline was bought out, everything from timetables, to press cuttings, promotional videos, manuals to a seriously large photo (approx 5ft by 3ft) of a company aircraft. I believe the photo was taken my Norman Pealing.

It was all heading for the skip, so I salvaged what I could.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Ahem.... can I remind some of you chaps that removing chattels and impedimenta from an aeroplane without permission of the owner or a representative thereof is rather on the naughty side?

You scamps, you....

Member for

24 years 4 months

Very true Grey Area, we have to keep spare safety cards on board our aircraft, to replace those that 'walk off' the aircraft. We've even had pax take lifejackets off the aircraft.

However, it isn't always passengers who take safety cards. A couple of years ago, new 'issue' safety cards ended up on Ebay, before they had been issued out to the aircraft. I know of at least one director who used to keep a close eye on Ebay to see what company branded items appear, including safety cards.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Ehm a few meals scavaged from an aircraft last nite :D

I've got an old lifejacket from an aircraft not sure what but, an aircraft dataplate but dont know where it has gone to and various other bits and bobs the old man has picked up along the way

It is really annoying though that the aircraft dataplate has been lost :(

Member for

20 years 9 months

Oh, I've also got the outside window of a 737-300 (I wont say exactly who it flew for) :p :D

Member for

24 years 4 months

Ahem.... can I remind some of you chaps that removing chattels and impedimenta from an aeroplane without permission of the owner or a representative thereof is rather on the naughty side?

You scamps, you....

Im sure all of us ask the Cabin rew before removing anything from the cabin. (Where is that halo similey)

Member for

20 years 1 month

Oh I doubt it not, Andrew....... :diablo:

Member for

19 years 3 months

When I flew in the jumpseat of an Air 2000 757 from Manchester-Faro and back, I asked if I could buy a model, due to regulations they had locked the duty free stuff..

...so they gave me a mint condition safety card, barf bag and inflight magazine! :D

Member for

19 years 9 months

You shouldn't feel guilty about taking in-flight magazines, after all most say "Your copy to keep" somewhere on them anyway. Magazines are my favourite item, I don't really see the point in taking safety cards (Although if its a rare aircraft I might!). Cutlery doesn't really appeal to me, although I did save some on my Thomas Cook flight! :D

Flex 35

Member for

24 years 4 months

The wierdest place I found a Safety Card was in our school. In our main Hall used for Drama Productions there is a Sound Box at the back at the very top. It also contains shelving units with lots of paint and spare sound and lighting equipment. Hidden behind all the equipment selotapes to the wall I found a Boeing 737-300 mind Go safety card!! Needless to say it left that day in my bag (finders keepers)! Lol it took me 5 minutes to stop laughing when I found it, dont ask me why!

Another wierd thing - A guy in the boarding department of our school lived in Hong Kong and 2 summers ago went home on Cathy from Frankfurt to Hong Kong. I joked with him saying to get me a Life Jacket, Magazines, Safety Cards and Life Raft. I was only joking but a parcel arrived from Hong Kong with 2 battered Cathy safety cards and a childs life jacket. He had actually asked the crew for all of these and they gave him them as they dont store childs jackets under seats! I think we blew it up at 2004 Group Flight but the dog wouldnt let us keep it around her head whilst doing so. I still have the full unflated jacket. It only needs topped up every 4 months or so and came from RFD Beaufort on the Lisburn Road in Belfast!

BTW Post 3k :D

Member for

21 years 1 month

Hidden behind all the equipment selotapes to the wall I found a Boeing 737-300 mind Go safety card!!

*Cough* Which conveniently seems to go missing every time its promised to me! :D

Member for

20 years 11 months

A couple of years ago, new 'issue' safety cards ended up on Ebay, before they had been issued out to the aircraft.

I've seen a few of our new style safety cards on ebay already and they aren't onboard for a while yet.

I know of at least one director who used to keep a close eye on Ebay to see what company branded items appear, including safety cards.

Our security department do the same thing.

1L.

Member for

24 years 4 months

*Cough* Which conveniently seems to go missing every time its promised to me! :D

I didn't say I know its current whereabouts. If anyone has any information about the whereabouts of the safety card please phone Strandtown Police Station on 028 90 650 222. Ask to speak to Constable Rob Berry.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Thereis a boat-load of PIA related memorabilia at this "History of PIA" website.
PIA Memo...