Dealing with NIMBY's.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 4 months

Niederrhein/Weeze/Laarbruch/Dusseldorf Regional Airport (take your pick, it's all the same) has opened about a year or so back. No news here. Prior to the opening a lot of NIMBY's where complaining about the noise, depreciating house values, fumes... the usual complaints.

Some of these NIMBY's even went so far as to go to court. In order to make their claim seem more important it was signed by lots of people. In fact, many NIMBY's decided to enlist their children as well.

The court order has now gone through trial, and the judge declared the NIMBY's claims false.

Now the fun part... in Germany anyone that files a lawsuit they loose has to pay an administrative fee. This fee is a fixed rate of 75 euros per person (+/- 50 pounds). Many parents now have to pay not only for their own complaint, but also for that of the children they enlisted. Some of the children that where on the list where as young as 5 years old.

The local NIMBY group has adviced their flock not to pay the children's fees. The reason for that is because the children are minors, and as such not allowed to petition for a lawsuit in the first place!

Personally, I hope this goes to court so that the NIMBY's will get a double (or should that be tripple?) bill!

http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?id=7315

Original post

Member for

20 years 7 months

ha ha ha ha!

Great news

Member for

20 years 11 months

They were either very confident or very stupid when they made their claims.

NIMBYs and airports do go together though.

When they were looking at the possibility of another runway at LGW (only a couple of miles from my house) I had the local noise nimbys at my door asking me to sign an objection. Needless to say in my position I wasn't going to do that, but I did have an interesting chat with the chief nimby.

I asked how many of his group had lived in their present homes before LGW opened. Answer NONE. At the risk of stating the obvious, you can't buy a house near an airport (with the benefits it brings the area) then ask it to keep quiet.

He also told me that about 10% of his members worked at LGW! A conflict of interests if ever I heard one.

1L.