Cost of PPL medical?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

Just trying to get an idea of the usual cost of this examination, which I believe will also have to include an ECG.

My last one was about £70, but I seem to be in the 'old crocks' division now,
with consequent added expense.

Berks, Bucks or Herts ideally.

Original post

Member for

19 years 3 months

Costs vary widely depending on age, class of medical and any particular checks that this might entail. Expect around £100.

Member for

19 years 7 months

I had my Class 2 renewal with Dr. Bob Collett at Twyford, Berks. in April this year and the charges were £90.00 for the medical plus £42.00 for the ECG, total £132.00.

My last renewal - two years ago as I am over 40 - cost me £155.00 (including the ECG) in Reading, Berks. but that particular AME has now retired.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Dr Feltwell in Felixstowe - £105 inc ECG

Rob P

Member for

20 years 1 month

Very helpful, many thanks.

I think there should just be time to shed a couple more pounds before the big day.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Rumour has it that the secret is to select an AME who is... er... bigger boned than you :D

Moggy

Member for

20 years 1 month

Depending on how far you are in to the "old crocks" division, Propstrike, could I suggest an NPPL? Get signed off by your GP and my last one cost a pint of Greene King Abbott Ale in the Rose and Crown as a gesture of thanks. Not sure that's what the CAA had in mind but it works for me. One-off initial issue for the NPPL is about £120 I think.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Ozplane,

Yes, NPPL could be an option, but I understand that you cannot fly with passengers, or am I mistaken? I have swarms of adoring groupies who simply demand to be taken to heaven and back- half an hour each, at least.

Member for

19 years 1 month

My last one inc ECG was £125, seems to vary a fair bit depending where you are? Gone are the good old days of Doc Robertson in Northampton, cost you £25 for a good old chat "have you been flying anything interesting lately?" A tunning fork in the rear and a tap on the knee with a rubber hammer!!! Think he went on the theory that if you managed to drive there you must be fine :D

Member for

20 years 1 month

Propstrike, your groupies needn't worry. If you can meet the requirements of the HGV drivers licence, then you can fly passengers in a 4-seat aircraft up to 200 hp, day VFR in the UK. In my case I'd had an angioplasty so initially I could only fly solo or with a licensed pilot. I then had to pass a stress test which was not helped by a very pretty cardiologist wearing a tight white uniform on a very hot day! Anyway I passed and my GP then signed me off for a year (I'm over 60). No further ECGs reuired and a once-only fee for the issue of the NPPL. It matches my requirements exactly so I'm an enthusiast for the system. Google NPPL and all will berevealed.

Member for

20 years 6 months

£150 incl ECG - Chester area 16 months ago.

Feeling somewhat ripped off as just found out my mate has just paid £105 incl ECG in Wrexham area - will be changing AME at that differential!

Member for

18 years 8 months

I have been quoted £60 for a renewal in Warboys, Cambs, but I need to check whether that will suffice after a 21 year gap since my last one...I will settle down with LASORs tonight to try and find out....

Member for

20 years 1 month

Ended up costing 120 pounds (inc ECG) with a very pleasant Doc near Henley-on-Thames.

His ECG machine does an instant readout, so there is no messing about sending stuff to the CAA, which I believe some do.