Swordfish

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Okay people....time to get this board going. Now this is one of the coolest planes of WWII. Lets discuss this great warplane and its accomplishments. (Bismarck, Taranto, etc.) One of my favorite British WWII aircraft! (My fav probably being the Hurricane...the REAL hero of the Battle of Britain.)

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Swordfish

The good old "Stringbag", always held a place in my heart! One of the last Biplanes ever, replace breifly by the Albacore which was the last Biplane IIRC and the last ever to serve the FAA.

The best story I ever heard was of one in Norway in the last days of the German invassion. An Airfield up in Bodo was being evacuated and the Hurricans flew out all except one, the CO. A Stringbag was sent to find out what had happened and if nessecary destroy the plane lest it fall in the wrong hands. When the Swordfish arrived, they saw that the CO was still there but with a broken leg. The pilot, with some quick thinking, landed the plane. Not on the runway, it had been damaged by He-111's, but on the roof of the main building where a telegraph wire was crossing over the roof. The pilot used this wire like an arrester wire on the carrier and landed safely with a couple of feet to spare. The nav and gunner helped turn the plane around and the CO got into the Navs position, the Nav flew the plane back to the carrier. Mean while the Pilot jumped in the Hurri and used a road to take off just as old Herman was coming down the same road in the opposite direction. Back over the carrier the idea was to land the hurricans using the barrier. Needless to say, the whole thing worked and the Pilot got a comendation and the FAA got new monoplanes soon after!

I always love hearing that story! But now I'm telling it, wow I am getting old :(

"We the unknowing who have been doing so much for so long with so little, now attempt to do the impossible with nothing"!

Member for

24 years 3 months

That is acutally true?

Member for

24 years 3 months

1) the swordfish outserved thier replacments by a year

2) i know that up in norway we landed a squadron of huricane on a carrier

3) this plane is what i'ld call a perfecet example of what the whole UK aviatio nscene is about. it dosen't amtter how old , underinvested and shite! it is if it still fly's we can pull of huge coups with it (taranto, etc, etc) and outserving its replacemnets is just the best

i have the Navy News poster pull out on it (stolen from the school's copy of the paper - shhh!) and its on my wall below the gripen calander from AFM.

rabie :9

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-03-02 AT 10:31 PM (GMT)]Here's the info I've got on the definitive version.

Aircraft: Swordfish Mk. II
Company: Fairey
Type: Two/Three-seat torpedo bomber
Powerplant: One 750-hp Bristol Pegasus XXX nine-cylinder radial piston engine
First Flight: 1934 (T.S.R.II prototype)
Dimensions: Length- 35 ft. 8 in.
Height- 12 ft. 4 in.
Span- 45 ft. 6 in.
Weights: Empty- 4,700 lb.
Max Take-Off- 7,510 lb.
Maximum Speed: 155 mph-(wheels) / 135 mph-(floats)
Cruise Speed: 105 mph
Maximum Range: 1,030 miles
Maximum Rate of Climb: 1,000 feet per minute
Armament: (Fixed) One Browning 7.7-mm (.303 cal.) machine gun firing forward.
(Flexible) One Vickers K 7.7-mm (.303 cal.) machine gun firing to the rear.
Warload: Up to 1,610-lb. of ordnance on three external hardpoints.
Weapons List: (1) 1,610-lb. (18-inch) torpedo
(1) 1,500-lb. mine
(4) depth charges
(8) 60-lb. HVAR's (High-Velocity Aircraft Rockets)
(4) 100-lb. bombs (4) 250-lb. bombs (3) 500-lb. bombs

NOTES: The torpedo or mine was carried under the fuselage hardpoint. The depth charges and 100/250-lb. bombs were fitted with two under the centerline and one under each wing. The 500-lb. bombs were fitted with one under the centerline and one under each wing. The rockets were fitted on special rails with four under each wing. If I remember correctly, the Mk. III was actually the variant that used rockets, in the U-Boat killing role, and the centerline hardpoint was replaced with a podded radar to detect the U-Boats. Interesting that an old biplane was fitted with "modern" radar and rockets and used in a role it was never designed for. The Old Stringbag is definitely one of the neatest aircraft of the whole war! Here's a picture of a Swordfish Mk.II looking like it is almost factory fresh. I'm sure this an aircraft from the Royal Navy Historical Flight. It even has a big-ass 18-inch torpedo. Battleships beware!

http://www.compass.dircon.co.uk/swordN.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes PII, it's true. Otherwise the old man that I met who told me the story is off his rocker.

A few years ago I was working in a shop selling clothes, this company had been around for a long time and still had much the same clothes as what they did back during the war.

It was nothing unusual to meet someone who had served during the war in one way or another, I met a B-24 navigator who was writing a book about his time in the RAAF, I met a Beaufighter pilot who loved to joke about every thing and I also met a man who happened to serve in the FAA as a gunner on a Stringbag!

This was nothing unusual, people here in Oz went to mother England to fight during the war, but he's the one who told me this story. No it wasn't him in the gunners seat of the Swordfish that did the neat little landing, but it was his best friend. This guy actually downed two Me-109's, three Ju-87's and a He-111 from his gun. If you're ever down this way, I know where he lives. He's always happy to talk about the Stringbag.

"We the unknowing who have been doing so much for so long with so little, now attempt to do the impossible with nothing"!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I was about to ask also if anyone knew if the Swordfish had any kills to its credit. I realize it isn't really a fighter, but it does have a forward firing gun, as well as the gunner obviously. How did he shoot down an He-111? I mean where would a Swordfish see Blitzbomber?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sorry Phanthom meant to put my message on the board,but being new to all this sent it direct to you. Appoligies.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I haven't receive anything? You sent it by e-mail? What's your address?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sorry Phantom having troublr with my e-mail at the moment.
Content of message.
First came across the Swordfish many years ago when I was in the A.T.C
Had a flight in one at Donibristle Fife Scotland at that time and still remember being fastened in the rear cockpit with something that resembled a dog lead!
Years later during my service with the Royal Navy I watched Swordfish take off and land on carrier H.M.S. Vengeance,together with Albacores,Barracudas,Seafires etc.
Much later as a member of the Strathallan Aircraft Sosiety when the Museum was up and ruuning (now defunct) I was there when they were in the process of renovating a Swordfish. It never was finished there ,but eventually was bought by the Fleet Air Arm Flight and restored by technisions at Brough I think. There is an excellent video of this restoration.
It seems that the Swordfish has cropped up in my life a few times!
Great plane. Saw one flying at Elvinstone last year!
Sorry for the ramble.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hopefully this particular Stringbag will be flying again after 40 years on the ground within the next couple of years...

Mark
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3ca382462b182d0d.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

...and this one back in the air next year after its corrosion problems...

(c) unknown

Mark
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3ca382f52c7e861b.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

Wow....wonderful pics and info guys! The Swordfish gets more interesting every day for me. Anyone know about the radar on the Mk.III? How did it work and what type of scopes did the pilot or whoever have? How did a typical U-boat hunting mission pan out?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Does anyone know?

Member for

24 years 3 months

I took the time to look it up in a book and all I found was : "... the Swordfish Mk III (320 built) also of 1943 carrying ASV Mk X radar with its antenna under the forward fuselage ...". That's it.

----------------------------------------
U.N. Representative: So, Mr. Evil -
Dr. Evil: It's Dr. Evil, I didn't spend six years in Evil Medical School to be called "mister," thank you very much.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I believe I've seen those exact words in some books somewhere. The world is small afterall. :) Seriously though, I wish we could located someone who knows about the Mk.III and its radar and such. On another note, did you know there was an Mk.IV variant. It had an enclosed canopy which was fitted for protection against the bitter cold of the North Atlantic. I belive the Mk.III and Mk.IV variants were created from modifying the Mk.II, though I could be wrong on that.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think the RAF Museum have a Stringbag IV in storage either at Cosford or Wyton.

Mark

Member for

24 years 3 months

That sounds interesting. Is there any possibility that they can get it in good condition, flying maybe if possible? Say, do you know if the Mk.IV retained the rear gun? Was there room for it with the new cockpit canopy? If so, how was it fitted? Also, do you happen to know how much the canopy helped? Did the aircraft gain some type of AC and heat system? Oh yes, and for anyone that didn't know, I found out today that the rear gun was loaded with 582 rounds. I'd never been able to find that before today. I only wish I knew how many rounds the forward firing gun could carry.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The RAFM won't rebuild theirs to fly. Their policy is static only. Besides, imagine the outcry from the Black 6 lobby if they rebuilt a Stringbag to fly after blocking the Me109's rebuild to airworthiness! ;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

What other theaters was the Swordfish involved in other than the North Atlantic? I know it operated in the northern Med, at least during the Taranto raid anyway. Any other infos?

Member for

24 years 3 months

must ahve been on all our carriers.

therefore indian ocean, proable replaced by te time we got round to the pacific proper.

rabie :9