Aircrafts with diesel engines

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

Few weeks ago I have glanced across article in “Pilot” magazine about aircrafts with diesel engines in UK. Can someone point me in direction where I can find prices and especially price per hour .If I understood correctly it is much cheaper to operate diesel engined aircraft so that could also mean much cheaper flight training.

Original post

Member for

24 years 4 months

Can't help you with the article, but some of the pros and cons are as follows.

In the UK Avgas is heavily taxed whereas Jet A1 isn't. Since diesels can run on Jet A1 this will show a considerable saving on the hourly rate for operation. I think actual consumption is lower too There is some suggestion that diesels could also be more reliable, hence safer.

The downside is as follows. Diesel engines for aircraft are a fairly new phenomenon, so if you decide to replace your life-expired Lycoming with one you are, to some extent, participating in an experiment.

The engine is considerably more expensive to buy than its petrol counterpart, adding to the hourly cost (but not by as much as the cost you save on fuel). It is generally heavier too.

The real flanker though is that the advantage is artificial, created by tax laws, totally under the control of that nice Mr Brown. At the stroke of a pen he could wipe out that 'loophole' (as it would be called in the budget speech) leaving you having incurred a big capital investment for something that now gives you little or no operating cost advantage.

There was a time when diesel fuel for cars was cheaper than petrol. Now diesel cars are popular the situation has been reversed.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

Ok so diesel engines can use Jet A1, but if I am not mistaken article mentioned diesel fuel obtained from ordinary petrol station. Now if that is correct that would be cheap way of flying because even Mr Brown could not increase taxes on diesel for motorists (unless he invent law that will prohibit using ordinary diesel on aircrafts)

Member for

24 years 4 months

Now you've confused me.

Diesel fuel from filling stations is already heavily taxed. At around 80p per litre it is almost as expensive as Avgas which I think is currently costing me 96p. Jet A1 is hugely cheaper.

Not many filling stations have a 600M forecourt on which you can land.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

Ok you got me , did not know price of Jet A1 :-)

Member for

20 years 7 months

out of interest, anyone know the pricer per litre of Jet A1?

Member for

24 years 4 months

A bit of googling reveals Kemble will sell you a litre at 39.5p as against 99p for 100LL

Moggy

Member for

20 years 9 months

Even with the additives would you not have a problem with diesel from filling stations and the cold temperatures?

Member for

24 years 4 months

Even if it could run on diesel it wouldn't be viable, since you're unlikely to be able to obtain diesel on an airfield. I think one object with these engines is not only to lower costs, but also to cater for the increasing lack of availability of AVGAS 100LL in many countries. With this fuel containing more lead than any automotive petrol ever did and a decreasing worldwide consumption making production increasingly financially uninteresting for oil companies, diesel engines could be the future, given that JET A1 is available almost anywhere. As regards MOGAS, "my" airfield recently enquired with BP whether it would be possible to set up such filling station on the airfield. When they learned that expected sales in a year would correspond to the weekly sale of a garage forecourt station, the answer was no...