Vulcan XM612

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 4 months

Vulcan XM612 is looking a bit worse for wear lately. I understand that the costs of looking after such a huge exhibit can run high but hopefully they can get her sorted and repainted...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/vwhdkh/sets/72157647141842571/

Original post

Member for

24 years 4 months

They are a fantastic museum. Their constitution even has it mapped out where the airframes will go in case of closure.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Thanks for the link. I wonder if the elevons couldnt be repaired by apprentices like say BAE or something as a training scheme?

Member for

24 years 4 months

Looking at the site -repairing elevons with expanding foam is different ! The simple fact with this aircraft is that its falling apart ! If this is the scale of corosion after thirty years -maybe its time to think long and hard about her future.

Member for

18 years 6 months

When I visited CNAM this summer, the staff member who took me on the cockpit tour said they have a planned program of restoration for XM612 which includes the elevons getting attention in 2015.

The jet pipes were being repaired earlier this year, the ones I saw that had been completed looked like new.

Norwich's main restoration project for 2014 was their unique Fokker F-27 Friendship which was off site for a complete respray when I visited in August.

I agree with Sad Shack, CNAM are extremely organised, everything works to a plan. I was luck enough to be able to see part of their archive, I was amazed at what they hold. They were very busy when we visited, but the young guy who dealt with us took time to answer all my questions and has a real pride in his job. I am sure that he said he was one of three employees which is fantastic for a medium size museum.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Just read the Twitter post relating to XM612.

From what I was led to understand on my visit, they had had to part company with one of their members who had been involved on the Vulcan restoration and I think that this is the poster of the Twitter comments which are not taken from CNAM's own Twitter account. So the idea of foam filling left with the departed member, I understood the plan is for a full rebuild and re-skin.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Is there magnesium in the skin? Looks pretty bad :/

Member for

12 years 6 months

XM612 has been outside at the museum since arriving in 1983.
Probably also spent most of her previous life outside too apart from major servicing.
As any museum with an Aircraft the size of a Vulcan will know , looking after such a thing is a major task .
The museum is run by volunteers and everything you see has been achieved with very little other than very hard graft and determination, for many years without mains electric or water !!!
And believe me , it can be very bleak on an open airfield in winter.
I know this , I was a member for many years.
XM612 has been repainted before , it's a big lump to repair , prep and paint , awkward too in places.
The Jet pipes and trailing surfaces have always been a problem .
Please give the museum a look if your in the area , and I'm sure any support is welcome too.

Member for

24 years 4 months

...for many years without mains electric or water !!!

Funny you should mention that, the last time I tried to visit (2 or 3 years ago) they couldn't open the museum that morning as they couldn't get the electricity on!

Member for

24 years 4 months

Thanks Keefy and Mizpah, I was very sceptical about the foam filling.. fine for tires not so much for flight control surfaces...

Member for

24 years 4 months

As you go in there is a cabinet of models on your left. Some of them are mine :)

Member for

12 years 6 months

I have several up there in cases too.

Member for

14 years 8 months

If you keep an aircraft outside is it inevitable that it will be scrapped at some point?
Or can the effects of the elements be kept at bay indefinitely?
To me it always seems inevitable that an external exhibit will one day be chopped up.

Member for

24 years 4 months

If a small group can continue with basic mtce inspections, regular airing out or better yet keeping the electrical system operable then it will help in the long term. Externally, if the paint and metal are regularly looked after and any signs of deterioration dealt with early one that will be cheaper than having to do extensive repairs later on.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Glad to say Hampden that outside display does not always spell doom,i can think of several that sat outside as gate gaurdians and are now flying and a fair number of museum ones, from Blackpool the Seafire,Mew Gull are airworthy and the Lancaster is being restored to fly.

Member for

24 years 4 months

The former Spitfire guardians were rebuilt . As a part of that various skins would have been replaced . The Mew Gull was rebuilt after Blackpool to the extent
that it was a new aircraft.

Certainly anything that has been outside can be rebuilt - however when we start talking chemically etched skins and complex castings it gets difficult .