Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: What Book Are You Reading?

Hi All,
    Having now read The Secret Hunters and especially Mr Fienes epilogue I am tending to think that the book is based on an actual account. Some of the descriptions given I have read similar accounts or watched in documentaries, even if fictitious still a very graphic great read as there has obviously been a lot of research done to write the book even down to finding actual people mentioned.....

Just about to start:- Antarctica (1997) is a science fiction novel by American writer Kim Stanley Robinson. It deals with a variety of characters living at or visiting an Antarctic research station. It incorporates many of Robinson's common themes, including scientific process and the importance of environmental protection. (Courtesy of Wiki)

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 22nd April 2018 at 19:18.

Just ordered this.

I love a good bit of fantasy and make believe.

http://unmpress.com/books.php?ID=20000000008622

Name:  9781934491607.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  23.7 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5ae2359505a1f.image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	260259

Moggy
    Last edited by Moggy C; 30th April 2018 at 19:33.
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Hi All,
    SSGB by Len Deighton:- SS-GB is an alternative history novel by Len Deighton, set in a United Kingdom conquered and occupied by Germany during the Second World War. The novel's title refers to the branch of the Nazi SS that controls Britain. (Courtesy of Wikipedia)

Geoff.

Hi All,
    The Ultimate Insult by Maria Leach. Every memorable insult that has ever been thrown by the rich and famous is included in this book. Arranged thematically, it includes sections on politics, relationships, television and sex......

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 8th May 2018 at 11:48.

"1864", Tom Buk-Swienty, Profile Books Ltd. £8.99.

1864 refers to the date of the last of the wars between Denmark and the Germans over possession of the two Duchies of Schleswig and Holstein that lie across the southern part of the Jutland peninsular.

German aggression, Danish intransigence and British acquiescence all played their part in this quite savage and largely unknown military conflict.

The Danes had the support of the British public but, Queen Victoria, one of whose relatives was married into the German monarchy, wished to remain on the side lines.

I wonder if anyone knows why the Danes did not claim back their territorial losses after 1918 or possibly 1945 ?

Hi All,
    One Foot In The Grave by David Renwick, two chapters in and it's easy to see why it was a funny series... Victor's life is far too complicated, with a python in his luggage, a body search at the airport, a dead tomcat in the freezer, the charred remains of a neighbour on the kitchen table and then there are the 200 garden gnomes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123456.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	260469

Geoff.

Hi All,
    Darwin And The Barnacle By Rebecca Stott. Pairing Charles Darwin and a rare species of barnacle as her unlikely protagonists, Stott has written an absorbing work of history, a book that guides readers through the treacherous shoals of 19th-century biology. 32 illustrations.....

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 14th May 2018 at 21:08.

I was a little young when the Harry Potter phenomenon came around, but only started reading it now On book 2 atm, and I finally see why it's such a success. Going to read the books and then watch the movies!

Re. "1864", Tom Buk-Swienty, Profile Books Ltd. £8.99.

I remamber watching a TV serial based on the evnts in this book. a few years ago. I think it was made in Denmark, and dubbed into English.

It was shown on BBC4, if i remember correctly.

cabbage

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Air Battle for Dunkirk - Norman Franks

Only just started reading it.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Neptune's Inferno..by James Hornfischer
    The story of the naval battles of Guadalcanal...
    Coming soon after the U.S. victories at the battles of Midway and Coral Sea, it taught the USN that the Japanese were still a force to be reckoned with. At the end of the various battles, each had lost 24 ships, plus the Japanese lost the contested island and thousands of soldiers and marines.

While the U.S. (and to a small degree the RAN) lost more more sailors than the Japanese, who decisively won the first battle, it became a strategic Allied victory. The difference was the U.S. could make good its losses, not so the IJN.

Prompted by my reading of Harm's Way by James Bassett...the source for the 1965 John Wayne film In Harm's Way
    which is a fictionalized account of similar sea battles. The author was on the staff of Admiral Halsey, so he knew how to portray high ranking naval officers. Early chapters give a good psychological profile of the main characters so it's far more than the "stiff upper lip" and "aren't our boys so good" military fare.
    Last edited by J Boyle; 20th May 2018 at 01:35.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Thread Information