Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack Malloch's Mk 22 Spitfire PK350

Jack Malloch's Mk 22 Spitfire PK350

This aircraft crashed in the early eighties and was the only airworthy Mk 22 Spitfire in the world at the time (nothing has changed sofar).

Does anyone know the story about him acquiring the Spit and the restoration or was it in such a good shape that it was fueled, serviced and took off?

Cheers

Cees
    Ultravox at Lokeren 08.08.09, I was there!

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Broere View Post
    This aircraft crashed in the early eighties and was the only airworthy Mk 22 Spitfire in the world at the time (nothing has changed sofar).

Does anyone know the story about him acquiring the Spit and the restoration or was it in such a good shape that it was fueled, serviced and took off?

Cheers

Cees
    Cees - there was a video documentary made of the whole story (shown on TV many years ago) - the final sequence sadly filmed on his final flight. Not sure how to get a copy but no doubt someone will know.
    www.warbirdcolour.co.uk

Funny i was talking to a friend of a friend last saturday who was in the air force at the time, knew Jack well & helped get it back in the air. Apparently it was well known that Jack had heart trouble but nothing was said about it at the time. The aircraft disappeared into bad weather after the camera plane returned to base & the next thing was a phonecall the next day from a farmer to say he had a plane wreck on his farm & it turned out to be Jack & the Spit. The throttle was found to be wide open. This is just a tiny part of what i was told last week.

from www.jackmalloch.com

1979 to 1982
    Jack is very involved in the SAS bridge-blowing ‘Operation Cheese’ in north-eastern Zambia – September 1979
    Jack makes the first flight in the renovated Spitfire Mk 22 – March 1980
    Jack’s CL-44 is destroyed by fire at Salisbury airport – February 1982.
    Jack is killed while flying the Spitfire Mk 22 on the last day of filming the documentary ‘Pursuit of a Dream’ – March 1982.

DVD link there as well. First I had heard of him, sounds an interesting man to say the least !! The WWW site says that a biography will be out soon plus it has some snaps of the MK22.
    Last edited by BSG-75; 6th May 2009 at 17:31. Reason: extra detail & WWW link
    You can teach monkies to fly better than that....

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    That link doesn't seem to be working for me. Anyone else?
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by BSG-75 View Post
    from www.jackmolloch.com

1979 to 1982
    Jack is very involved in the SAS bridge-blowing ‘Operation Cheese’ in north-eastern Zambia – September 1979
    Jack is killed while flying the Spitfire Mk 22 on the last day of filming the documentary ‘Pursuit of a Dream’ – March 1982.

DVD link there as well. First I had heard of him, sounds an interesting man to say the least !! The WWW site says that a biography will be out soon plus it has some snaps of the MK22.
    I think the link would work if you spelt his name correctly

Try www.jackmalloch.com

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark12 View Post
    I think the link would work if you spelt his name correctly

Try www.jackmalloch.com

Mark
    I hear and obey sorry ! what a life story though.....

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Funny i was talking to a friend of a friend last Saturday who was in the air force at the time, knew Jack well & helped get it back in the air. Apparently it was well known that Jack had heart trouble but nothing was said about it at the time. The aircraft disappeared into bad weather after the camera plane returned to base & the next thing was a phonecall the next day from a farmer to say he had a plane wreck on his farm & it turned out to be Jack & the Spit. The throttle was found to be wide open. This is just a tiny part of what i was told last week.
    If you saw the size of the hole in the ground and the size of the remnants...etc.

Mark

Coincidentley we recently got his story sent to us at the Classic Wings office with a load of detail and photos which I have yet to study. A future article there no doubt, although the ending puts me off a little

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM2 View Post
    Coincidentley we recently got his story sent to us at the Classic Wings office with a load of detail and photos which I have yet to study. A future article there no doubt, although the ending puts me off a little

Dave
    Sounds like a story that should be told - I'm certainly intrigued by it from what I've read on the website.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DazDaMan View Post
    Sounds like a story that should be told - I'm certainly intrigued by it from what I've read on the website.
    Same goes - a varied life to say the least, not sure how you would classify it (assuming it needed it) an adventurer ? Certainly, but a story to be told for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BSG-75 View Post
    from www.jackmalloch.com

1979 to 1982

Does anyone know if this DVD is actually the "Spitfire pursuit of a dream" programme or different as it looks to be called "Jack Malloch - Tango romeo" which is the title of his biography and implies that it is a DVD version of this.

"Spitfire pursuit of a dream"
    See http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...62#post1975662 now for a Youtube version !
    http://www.airnieuws.nl updated per 31 July 2018. Fokker aircraft and more...

1 precious minute of Mk22 video here...

http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/vi...1fae9c66b01773

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM2 View Post

Dave
    Did it ever get published Dave?

No - still sitting. Not sure if it will.

Dave
    Last edited by DaveM2; 3rd June 2017 at 07:02.

Just watched it on YouTube - fascinating, but what a sad ending. Especially as you get to see the actual weather conditions shortly before the accident.
    Last edited by Seafuryfan; 15th January 2013 at 23:11.

PK350 film

The documentary broadcast in (if I recall) 1986 on (I think) BBC2 was different to the one you can get a copy of today, "In Pursuit of a Dream" I believe is the one available these days.

If I remember correctly the 1986 one was narrated by David Lomax and included interviews with Ian Smith (former Rhodesian PM and Wartime Spitfire pilot) and was the better of the two. The two programmes were very similar, but slightly different in content.

I'd like a copy of the one broadcast on TV in the 80s if anyone has one. Mine gave up the ghost many years ago (the joys of VHS!).
    Last edited by chippie51; 15th January 2013 at 23:02.

Ok thanks for the reply Dave,shame really because I'm sure lots of people would like to read the story.

Thanks for the Youtube link, I can finally watch this documentary

Jack Malloch was also involved with Bill Armstrong and the whole Biafrian episode
    Interested in what I'm doing? Please visit http://gmsenterprises.blogspot.com/

I think that should read "Biafran".

Jack is held in very high esteem for all he did for Rhodesia.
    Last edited by flyingant; 16th January 2013 at 00:36.

Easy to see why they considered changing the name from Spitfire with the later Griffon birds. What a beast. A beauty too but a monster in the air. Sad that Mr. Malloch and his Spit were lost

I still have a scrapbook of Spit pics clipped out of different magazines from when I first went around the bend about Spitfires and that bird is included.

Haven't managed to watch the YouTube clip fully, but I will this evening.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

I have just had a message from an old friend to tell me that at 26:15, or thereabouts, on the youtube programme you can see John Fairey in his uniform discussing the flight.

Finally getting to see this film is wonderful, but so sad knowing the outcome. It reminds me somewhat of the Kee Bird documentary.

Thanks for sharing, I may have to watch it again. She was a beautiful aircraft, and the paint work looks immaculate to my eyes.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

JM.

I don't know about his 'dodgy ticker', but a pal who was there said that JM flew right into a TS. That's a fact, I don't think that there was any evidence that Jacks health was to blame. A very sad end to an all-round heroic effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy7422 View Post
    I don't know about his 'dodgy ticker', but a pal who was there said that JM flew right into a TS. That's a fact, I don't think that there was any evidence that Jacks health was to blame. A very sad end to an all-round heroic effort.
    I had heard this too.It was the first I'd heard of a ticker problem on this thread.

Jack Malloch's Spitfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy7422 View Post
    Out in Oman (Airworks )in early 1980's, we had a co- rigger (on Omani Hunters) who was in the Rhodesian Air Force and there when Jack Malloch was re-building and flying his Spit. He talked with Jack quite a lot and said to us that Jack had got hold of a Spitfire belly Ferry Tank because he was intending to move to UK before Rhodesia became Zimbabwi. So the intention was there but fate stepped in. This chap never mentioned anything about Jack having a "dodgy" ticker, but did say that he had run into a thunderstorm that either dis-oriented him or drove him into ground and yes it was a full throttle impact.

We did get hold of a manky video Copy of "Pursuit of a Dream", which I think was the one with Ian Smith talking in it. And were fascinated by Jack's and everyone else's efforts to get PK-350 Flying. Shame about it all, but I'm very glad to see this piece of history resurrected in this thread. Great memories--Great man.

Bill T.

Thread Information