Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chaz Bowyer

Chaz Bowyer

With regret I would like to report the death of my father, aviation historian Chaz Bowyer. He passed away peacefully yesterday (18th June) at the Norfolk and Norwich hospital aged 81, after a brief illness. His immediate family were all with him.

I am Chaz's daughter and would like to thank all the well-wishers for their e-mails of condolence which are a great comfort to the family at this time. Dad lived and breathed aircraft and the brave airmen that flew them from a very young age and his interest and passion for the subject never diminished. I know he would have been touched at some of the tributes we have been sent.

If anybody would like to contact me please use my e-mail address at - lisajhoare@hotmail.com

Please feel free to pass this information on to any forums you feel may be interested in Dads passing, I would like to let the wider Aviation community know.

Thanks - Lisa

Extremely saddened to hear this, he was an aviation legend during my growing up, with my face usually deeply buried in his books he allowed my interest to grow.

My condolences to you and your family

James

Absolutely - my very first Aviation book was written by Chaz Bowyer, as was the book that spurred my interest in the Spitfire, and led ultimately to my working on them for a living.

Lisa, I am sure I am not alone in expressing my condolences to you at this sad time.

With very best regards

Bruce Gordon

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure we've all read at least one of your father's books over the years!

My condolences.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Blue skies, Chaz.

Another one who read his books... You'll be missed, mate!

Adrian
    "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

It was only a couple of weeks ago, that I was trying to contact your father in regard to a documentary film being made. I was so sorry to hear from you of his passing yesterday in your email to me.
    Sincere condolences to you, and your family, Lisa.

To Chaz? ..thank you for your inspiration. Blue sky to you Sir.
    Hertfordshire Airfields Memorial Group
    http://hamg.co.uk

Hunsdon, Sawbridgeworth and Matching Green airfields..
    http://www.wartime-airfields.com

Lisa,

My condolences. I not only have found his books to be enjoyable and informative but, when I needed help for one of my projects, he went out of his way to help me track down a particular photograph. A real gentleman.

I reach for his books regularly and there is a well thumbed copy of his Short Sunderland book open on my desk right now.

Kind regards

Allan King

Lisa,
    My sincere condolences to you and your family. Chaz was an inspiration to all of us in the aviation community and will be greatly missed.

Kidest Regards,
    Peter

Hard to add anything further to the tributes above.

Chaz Bowyer inspired so many of us and his work will live on.

I hope that will be of some small consolation at this sad time.

Top man.

A name that has echoed through the aviation related parts of my life.

I never knew him. I wish I had.

Commiserations Lisa. Even at that respectable age it's hard to lose a loved parent.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

A gentleman, we exchanged a few letters when I was in my late teens, I was doing a project on politics and aviation at 6th form, and he was always polite, helpful and enthusiastic about my interest in aviation. I can see 8 of his books from where I sit now.

I lost my father 18 months ago and as Moggy says, its hard so condolences from me, but also if appropriate a "thank you"- certainly I have had endless pleasure from his work and I will do for years to come.
    You can teach monkies to fly better than that....

Dust jacket of Wellington at War -
    "Chaz Bowyer is the successful author of a number of titles in Ian Allan's acclaimed At War series, and in Wellington at War he provides a remarkable portrayal of a remarkable aircraft"

and written by a remarkable man.

As a schoolboy and later, as my interest developed, Chaz Bowyer's books were always an inspiration to me. Each one was devoured with avid interest, and each one remains in my library today. He chuckled when I told him, years later, that I revered his writings and yearned for his depth of knowledge. Blue skies, Chaz. You will be missed by many.
    Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

A great enthusiast, and prolific author.

I hope that someone can rustle up some sort of a flypast, preferably historic, and give him a good send-off.

Lisa

Very sad news. One of the dwindling band of hardcore trailblazing aviation historians to whom we all owe a great deal.

RIP

Lee
    The views I express are PURELY my own. Please respect that.

Thanks so much

Wow, thank you all for your kind and sincere messages, it means so much to know he is still so highly thought of by the aviation community. Yes I am, and have always been, very proud of him both as a person and for the achievements in his lifetime. He was a individual that's for sure (as I am sure anyone that met him can testify!) but also an inspiring Father, helping me to be the independent and creative person I am today.

I will miss him very, very much, but your kind words will remain with me and the rest of my family as a great comfort - thank you all.

my Condolences

I am so sorry to hear of the Loss of your father
    Chaz Bowyer,a great man who worked tirelessly for aviation,

I personnally lost my dad in 2003, it was devastating, I understand as do many others who have lost such close loved one,

But remember your dad will allways be with you in your heart, and your happy memories, Chaz also will be Fondly remembered for many many years also for the wonderful work he completed,

My Condolences to you and your Family,
    Kindest regards
    Chris C
    coke cans a bottle tops

Well what can i say that hasnt allready been said

I to have read one of hes books and i hope to read a few more

Ive heard abit about him when talking to people and he sounds a wondeful man, and someone i would aspire to be.

The aviation community will be deeply sadened by this but im sure hes spirt will live on in all of us

My thought are with you and your family and best wishes for the future

Matt
    ________
    Honda Type R
    Last edited by XH668; 19th April 2011 at 18:54.

I'm sorry to hear of Mr Bowyer's death. My condolences to you and your family Lisa.

His books are also popular here in New Zealand and so I have posted your message onto my NZ aviation forum here
    http://rnzaf.proboards43.com/index.c...al&thread=6386

RIP

Like many others on here and in the UK, my first book on aircraft was by the great man himself....it was a huge book on the RAF History and was full of great photos that really got me into aviation heritage. Condolescences to family and friends.....Blue skies Chaz

In my early 20s, back home in Hyderabad, southern India when I had just joined in my first job, I remember going to a top end book store and coming across a hard bound book on a topic i loved. I just had to have it but was too expensive at that time and I didnt have the moolah. So began a period of wait and watch where I would go to the book store every other day to confirm that the book was still there. It was more like I was stalking that book for a period of time! Finally when I was able to save the money, I went and bought the book. It was "Hurricane and Messerschmitt at War" - bought for a princely 15$ equivalent in Rupees which was roughly almost all of my discretionary income for that month. (No parties, no eating out :d).

I still have that book - occupying a prominent place in my library.

Thank you Mr. Bowyer, for providing us with years of wonderful reading pleasure . May you R.I.P.

Please accept my condolancies too, my childhood aviation passion was fed by several of Chaz's books, they hit the mark and were much loved and read.

As has been said one of the great aviation writers and historians.

Lisa, my condolences.............

Planemike...........

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Next to the Essendon Drome, Under South End, North/South Runway!

Unhappy R.I.P. Mr Chaz.....

WOW, that's a real shock Lisa!

Your's father has had me stuck in book's since i was a tot I reckon.

He was a great Man among men, and seemed to have had a very full on and amazing life!

My condolences and kindest regard's to you Lisa and family from down here in Oz!

I can imagine Chaz flying off in to a setting sun, in a Spitfire

R.I.P. mate

Lest We Forget another fallen hero.
    Cheer's all far and WIDE!! , Tally Ho from Phil in Oz!

WHAT GOE'S UP MUST COME DOWN

Close to the last operational 11 Grp 'B of B' airfield
    Condolences from me too.

And like others have said, it was a Chaz Bowyer book that was my first ever aviation book bought when knee high to a Spitfire with saved up pocket money.

Mosquito at War, bought from the shop at the RAFM Hendon about a month after the museum opened.
    I was with it all the way until letting the brakes off..........

West of the Jordan, East of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Sincere condolences on your sad loss. And thanks to Chaz Bowyer for all the enjoyment he brought to me through the many books of his that I own.

RIP

Sad news, I have his excellent "Albert Ball VC" and " Wellington At War". His work paved the way forward's for alot of todays aviation author's.
    Fly with the eagles,or scratch with the chickens.

Chaz Bowyer

From yet another admirer of your father's contribution to the broad sphere of aviation literature, and in gratitude to a writer who encouraged my interest and love of aircraft, I offer humble thanks for what he gave, and what he will continue to give to new readers who have yet to discover the enduring legacy of his books.

Condolences to you and your family Lisa, thank you for thinking of us at this time.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Tangmere1940 View Post
    As a schoolboy and later, as my interest developed, Chaz Bowyer's books were always an inspiration to me. Each one was devoured with avid interest, and each one remains in my library today... Blue skies, Chaz. You will be missed by many.
    Well put, Andy. I have similar thoughts on my earliest memories of Chaz Bowyer.

I remember thinking as a teenager, 'What it would be like to do that for a living, write books on planes..' Chaz actually did it. What a great legacy he has left with his aviation literature.

Not much I can add to what's already been said, but to anyone like me growing up in the 60s with a burning interest in aviation he was a much-valued guide. I'm sure you must miss him terribly. RIP.

Thread Information