Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Donald Campbell's Bluebird K7

Thanks for the latest update/diary Mike - the boat is looking really nice

Thanks Mike, fantastic work thanks for keeping us updated..........Martin
    pb::

It's looking a lot like a complete (or almost complete) blue boat again. Looking very good!
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Another video...

This is an incredible restoration. Well done to all the team.

Really lookin forward to seeing her

Hi All,
    Ditto what TempestV, the complete restoration when done will be an honour to the team for all your hard work from low to the boss and all of you
    should be proud of the achievement that you will have made, also it is a true memorial to Donald Campbell that his family can look upon with pride thank you.....

Geoff.

A photo posted by the team showing the canopy in place really sets off the look. Hopefully Bluebird Mike may share it? Stunning job. Cannot wait to attend Bute.

Re. attendance- we'll be on site from 4th August, and anticipate that the single road to our base at the fisheries will be closed to avoid chaos. We'll have a temporary boat shed for the boat and will be working in a cordoned-off area with a pass system. During down time, we'll see if we can accommodate guests but aren't making any promises. People may park at the nearby school and walk down to find vantage points around the Loch to watch. Remember this is our crew training exercise, not 'the main event'; the boat won't be totally finished!

Name:  Canopy.jpg
Views: 2322
Size:  224.5 KB

Looking very like herself now...

Really makes a difference. Awesomeness

What!!!

No rant!!! ;-)

Great diary entry.
    I love hearing about little bits of unobtainium showing up, seemingly out of nowhere, just in time to help such an interesting project.

Well done folks.

Andy

An extraordinary project, in the hands of an extraordinary team!
    Listening out for something interesting approaching...

For anyone interested...
    Bluebird on Bute

Press Release

Donald Campbell's Bluebird K7 is about to take to the water once again, right here in Scotland.
    It's been over half a century since Donald Campbell became the only person to hold both the world
    land and water speed records simultaneously, the latter set in his jet-engined hydroplane, Bluebird
    K7, which crashed so tragically on Coniston Water on 4th January, 1967.

It has taken 17 painstaking years and a small army of dedicated volunteers to restore Bluebird to her
    former glory and from 4th to 16th August, this iconic craft will be undertaking crew training at Loch
    Fad on the Isle of Bute.

The Loch, usually better known for its outstanding trout and pike fishing waters, will see Bluebird's
    team work out how best to handle a craft which can reach speeds of up to 276 miles per hour.

Bill Smith, the project leader, has had a love of Bute since his fishing trips here as a teenager, but as
    well as the breathtaking scenery and a laid-back welcoming community, Bute also has a proud
    history of engineering design, well-fitting with the Bluebird project:

* Andrew Baird, the blacksmith who built a plane, undertook Scotland’s first heavier than air
    flight on the island and would no doubt have nodded approvingly at the Bluebird team’s
    efforts.

* Thomas Lipton, freeman of the Burgh of Rothesay regularly raced his famous Americas Cup
    Shamrock yachts in the waters around the island – and boat building still continues today in
    the highly successful Ardmaleish Yard on the island.

* Speed was also the key for ex-formula one driver Johnny Bute who has also long sponsored
    visits of classically engineered fast cars to the island through events like the Mount Stuart
    Motorsport Classic.

A proud part of Scotland’s Adventure Coast, Bute looks forward to welcoming the Bluebird team
    for what promises to be a once in a lifetime experience.

Information

Background – everything you need to know about the Bluebird Project background can be found on
    the Bluebird Website www.bluebirdproject.com

Key tourism website for Bute is http://www.visitbute.com/ and for the wider region
    http://www.exploreargyll.co.uk/index.php

There will be no fixed day to day itinerary because the team have to approach and solve problems in
    a methodical way but there will be regular day to day updates @bluebirdk7 and @visit_bute

You can also follow the action via hashtag #bluebirdonbute.

Key Dates

3rd August Arrive on Island | Arrival ceremony to include Rothesay Pipe Band and
    local children.

4th – 10th August Training days on Loch Fad

11th August At Bute Highland Games | Bluebird will attend as a static display with
    some of the team on hand to answer questions.

12th August At Mount Stuart House | Bluebird will be displayed on the lawn in front
    of Mount Stuart with some of the team on hand to answer questions.

13th - 16th August Training Days on Loch Fad

17th August Leave Island

Other Events on Island during this time

3rd – 5th August Bute Noir Crime Writing Book Festival www.butenoir.co.uk

3rd – 5th August Bute Bikers Weekend

8th August Bute Agricultural Show | includes 'Field to Fork' local producers |
    http://www.visitbute.com/2018-vb/event/ ... ural-show/

11th August Bute Highland Games http://www.visitbute.com/2018-vb/direct ... and-games/

12th August Isle of Bute Sailing Club Raft Race | Fun raft race in Rothesay Bay with a
    member of the Bluebird team presenting prizes.

Parking and taxi drop off for Bluebird: From 6th – 10th August use Rothesay Joint Campus car
    park. From car park entrance, exit campus on foot and take immediate right turn (past Bute
    Produce) and walk uneven track for just over ¾ of a mile. Not suitable for vehicles.

Key Contacts
    For Bluebird related information and media enquiries/opportunities: Bill Smith: 0191 2964295
    For Isle of Bute related information and media enquiries/opportunities:

Visit Bute: Alison Cross - Marketing@visitBute.com

Mount Stuart Trust: Ricky Harrison ricky@mountstuart.com
    ###END###

I can only wish everything involved good luck and look forward to a successful outcome!

What will be the final outcome for Bluebird, once she has proved herself again?

It would be nice to see her run annually, as a commemoration but fully realise that this may go against the Campbell family wishes!
    Tony

...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugg*r all down here on Earth!

Excellent Mike, thank you.

Sunbury,Australia...just down from Murphy the wonder dog.
    Stunning.

Hi All,
    Many thanks for the latest update BM, all involved from bottom to the top should be commended for this project as I imagine it's been a hard fought for
    long road from the start and now the finish line is just in sight.....

P.S. I thought Wayne Rooney had gone to the US (Ref:-02:18)....

Geoff.

Truly a work of art. The effort put into this has been astounding, the result is glorious. I have, however, a question.

The team rightly used as much as possible of the original craft - this is certainly a restoration not a re-creation. However, the forces involved in the original crash were significant and and imparted stresses and deformation - cracked and torn metal and subsequent corrosion will play havoc with material strength and integrity . In straightening and re-forming the original metal, what structural analysis has been completed on the individual components and the structure as a whole to ensure that she is strong enough to take to the water again at speed?

I am in no way trying to detract from the result of this restoration, indeed I look forward to seeing it in the flesh on a future trip to the UK.

The space frame is steel and is the load bearing structure. The corrosion on it is minimal I believe. The Sponsons are new material. I would have no doubts in my mind, it is strong enough to plane and the teams only plan is get the craft up to a speed that it can do so.

There's a massive amount of work gone into ensuring we have more than enough strength. The frame was x-rayed end to end before repairs began, we've doubled up where necessary, used heat treatments, modern day surface protection, sealants and rivets. We've stiffened, pinned and sleeved - the list is endless. Not worried about that at all.

just in case anyone has missed the run up to our crew training on Bute we're putting out info by the hour on our Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/bluebirdk7

https://twitter.com/bluebirdk7/statu...52294973202432

Short piece on BBC News Scotland tonight.

Lot's of good coverage on BBC Look North from Newcastle and the lead story on this evenings programme ;
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-news-03082018
    and from the BBC website
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-45037080
    Last edited by David Thompson; 3rd August 2018 at 23:16.

Stunning photo of her afloat on their twitter feed

You're not kidding, Black Knight. She looks gorgeous! The loss of K7 is one of those things that was shown enough when I was young - like the Blue Peter elephant - that I'm half convinced I remember it even though it was actually before I was born.

Funnily enough I have travelled on the same pice of roas as the last Bluebird car - just at 90 degrees to it's path! It was being demonstrated at RAF Debden and failed to stop at the end of the runway, hurtled across the road, and ended up in a cornfield. I'm pretty sure there's pictures *somewhere* on this forum.

Adrian
    "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Thread Information