Hi Matt any chance of posting a linky, I can't seem to find them

cheers

John

pm sent

Hi Matt

Thanks for that, not the right one though I'm afraid

ta muchly

John

12jaguar, thought I had a U/C idicator but it is the wrong type sorry.
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    12jaguar, thought I had a U/C idicator but it is the wrong type sorry.
    Thanks for looking anyway Peter

John

John, I cant remember if my airspeed indicator is the same though will have to check.
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Forgot to add a picture of the the 6A/1439 Thermometer , again if anyone has one it would be much appreciated

John
    Last edited by 12jaguar; 5th November 2009 at 14:27. Reason: Thumbnail dleted and added to later post

Hi Martin

we have the external shield for the thermometer so might be able to make you one up. I have seen the ones on Milrecs but they're a tad expensive so they may have to be a last resort, swapsies are much better.

It looks like we should be getting the type G bomb selector in return for one of our Type F's so a positive result there.

John

Stirling wants (Revised)

A slightly revised combined list, thanks to Binbrook74 we now have a ASI. Have seen that Milrecs have a single rheostat for sale but hoping that someone out there might have one a bit cheaper or for swap. The Type G selector switchbox is pending so I've left it off for the time being.

Thanks for your continued support

John
    Last edited by 12jaguar; 13th November 2009 at 16:41. Reason: wants list moved to dedicatedthread

I've just emailed John L to tell him I've found a couple of downward id lamp switch units and will take them to Newark aerojumble tomorrow. Will anyone from the Stirling Project (or a courier) be there?
    The garage that keeps on giving

Quote Originally Posted by Air Ministry View Post
    I've just emailed John L to tell him I've found a couple of downward id lamp switch units and will take them to Newark aerojumble tomorrow. Will anyone from the Stirling Project (or a courier) be there?
    Hi Alan,

Yes, John Lathwell and myself!!! See you tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Ministry View Post

Hi Alan

PM sent

Will update wants list soon, but thanks to Air Ministry the requirement for 2 off 5C/372 switches has now been met. Also got an oxygen economiser at the Newark aeroboot. Thanks to all the people who have sent offers in so far, please keep 'em coming

John

Stirling Project wants list moved to it's own dedicated thread

here: http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=95679

More updates soon......

Posting a few pics of our latest acquisition:

The control column bases and support structure from Stirling IV LK567, kindly donated from Denmark

The good news is that we should be able to incorporate most of the structure into our build, the bad news is that we'd already paid a considerable amount to cast up the bases utilising Pondskaters' Sunderland one.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat structure 012.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	179306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat structure 013.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	179307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat structure 014.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	179308  

John,

It'll be really useful to have this assembly for reference, if nothing else.

Leave it with me Martin, I'll get back to you....

Quote Originally Posted by 12jaguar View Post
    the bad news is that we'd already paid a considerable amount to cast up the bases utilising Pondskaters' Sunderland one.
    Oh, the irony!

There is a rule of course which says that you can wait for years for a real part to come along to no avail, but the second you spend a lot of time/effort/money replicating it then one will appear as if by magic!!!

I think we've all been there!
    "Don't tell him Pike!"

Hunter FGA.78 QA12

Quote Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
    Oh, the irony!

There is a rule of course which says that you can wait for years for a real part to come along to no avail, but the second you spend a lot of time/effort/money replicating it then one will appear as if by magic!!!

I think we've all been there!
    It's happened to me too. I always console myself in the knowledge that at least I now have an original to use.

Same here
    Remember that Halifax throttle box on ebay?
    Cees

Quote Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
    Oh, the irony!

I thought it was actually a bit aluminiumy:diablo:

I'll get me coat

Seriously though, this will allow us to incorporate some original structure into our cockpit, which I think is a good thing. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and get things made, some you win and some you lose

John

Ah, the old "wait for years and two come along at once" gag.

But it is a really nice find, all the more so because it looks as if it has pieces not in the Sunderland section - hopefully a lot less interpretation will be needed.

I came across this just yesterday, illustrating a contemporary article on how to build a Sunderland. I've spoken to a gentleman who fitted the controls in this assembly but this is the first photo I've seen of it outside an aircraft - Sunderland again unfortunately. But if the Stirling has a similar assembly it would make a cracking display piece to raise publicity for the Project.

AllanK

"Writing is easy - all you have to do is stare at a blank piece of paper until your forehead bleeds." - Douglas Adams

Hi Allan

Unusual and interesting picture

Surprisingly considering as the Sunderland and Stirlings were contempories there is very little commonality between the two, except for the control column bases. Luckily we will be doing something similar with our seats and control columns etc as they can be assembled outside of the aircraft. See post 117 to this thread.

Thanks again for the loan of the Sunderland structure

John

Only surprising when seen from the modern "mass production" view point. Short Brothers were somewhat prone to using the ship building approach of designing one-offs and making everything different. Commonality of parts was one issue that led to their big falling out with the Air Ministry.

I'd forgotten about the pic on post 117 - that will look just as cool.
    "Writing is easy - all you have to do is stare at a blank piece of paper until your forehead bleeds." - Douglas Adams

Hi all

last update of 2009. This has been a very busy year for us, not helped by the fact that we were evicted from our workshop for 6 months due to the hangar being refurbished. thankfully this is all behind us now and we're getting back on track

Notable advances for this year were the donation of 2 control column bases and support structure from Denmark, the manufacture of a co-pilots seat and the purchase (yesterday) of almost a complete installation for the TR1154/1155 radio including D/F equipment. We've also been lucky in getting a lot of eqpt for the other crew stations and a special thanks here to all the fellow forumites that have assisted us with this.

Structure is coming along apace as can be seen from the attached photos of one of the pilots seat chassis assys. the basic structure of this is now complete having been abley assisted by my son Andy on Saturday. really pleased with how this has turned out as it is the first major piece of structure we've built (apart from the FN5 turret). the corresponding chassis is the next on the 'production line' and hopefully should be finished early in the New Year.

Best wishes to you all and hopefully the New Year will see progress in all your various projects and endeavours

best regards

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat structure 021.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	179850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat structure 025.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	179851  

STIRLING NOSE TURRET ON EBAY (sort of! - smiles)

found this while surfing the net!

jonny2madd page
    about me
    Well I started useing ebay after having a car crash ,in which I fractured my neck . and because I couldnt move much I bought a computer to pass the time . Im much better now. I sell stuff that I think is interesting and I believe in recycling so like secondhand stuff. I like stuff to do with the counter culture ,hippie movement.mainly I buy books .I dont really collect stuff much anymore used to collect old flying clothing irvin jackets flying helmets that kind of thing have a nose turret of a stirling bomber in my garage . interested in science and democracy making the world full of flowers and peace.

http://members.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayIS...rid=jonny2madd

Regards

Mark Pilkington
    "Never has a Country so Big!, owed so Much!, to those who Flew!"

Hi Mark

Interesting.......

No news on the Middle East Stirlings though I'm afraid

regards

John

Thread Information