Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Stirling Project Update

The comments were much appreciated by the membership, general consensus was that Radpoe wins!

It was our AGM yesterday and the attached photos are of our newly constructed Co-pilots seat. This was made by one of our members John Levey and I hasten to add that he says he doesn't want to make another:diablo: As you can see Shorts didn't under engineer anything and we are very happy with the finished result.

Notwithstanding John's sterling work we have decided to refurbish the pilots seat. This is beginning to suffer a bit as it's made from mag alloy so this will have to be stripped back, surface corrosion removed and the structure made good. The difficult part will be to arrest the internal corrosion, I shall look at the recent corrosion thread to see if that can give us some ideas unless anyone on here has some thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0657.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	177807   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0659.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	177808  
    Last edited by 12jaguar; 1st September 2011 at 12:38.

It is heavier but not by much.

I'm currently fabricating the lower seat chassis side beams, I'll give you the jig when I'm finished with it

John
    Last edited by 12jaguar; 12th October 2009 at 22:28.

Great work on the new seat John. Who's going to make the other side!!!???

Quote Originally Posted by 12jaguar View Post
    As promised I've posted the photos of our latest acquistions here:

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/sho...t=90313&page=9

Below I've belatedly posted a photo of one our members Sqn Ldr Ron Lunney looking at the remains of the bomb aimers escape hatch surround recovered from LJ628 in 2005. This item has been extremely useful in creating our CAD model thus far. This would have been the last view that Ron would have had of 'his' Stirling R9278, from which he baled out over France in April 1945. Suitable captions please.....:diablo:
    Bums away !!!!!!!!!!!
    when you have excluded the impossible whatever remains however improbable must be the truth
    Baz owns the second best Spitfire Replica in the World.

As promised I've posted the photos of our latest acquistions here:

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/sho...t=90313&page=9

Below I've belatedly posted a photo of one our members Sqn Ldr Ron Lunney looking at the remains of the bomb aimers escape hatch surround recovered from LJ628 in 2005. This item has been extremely useful in creating our CAD model thus far. This would have been the last view that Ron would have had of 'his' Stirling R9278, from which he baled out over France in April 1945. Suitable captions please.....:diablo:

"OK Lunney, explain yourself son!......
    , didnt you hear the skipper ordering?.....
    "last one out remember to shut the door behind you"!!!!

Regards

Mark Pilkington
    "Never has a Country so Big!, owed so Much!, to those who Flew!"

Or...

'Shut the door lad there's a draught in here!'

Quote Originally Posted by dcollins103 View Post
    Great work on the new seat John. Who's going to make the other side!!!???
    Are you offering?:diablo::diablo:

Photo caption.

'...i know she's made by Shorts.. but this is ridiculous'.!

12Jaguar,
    If all the tubes are connected and hollow inside, could you not drill into one of them at the and fit an adapter and fill the tubes through or flush them out with anti corrosion treatment?
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Hi Peter

the tubes are hollow and it should be easy to flow some form of fluid through them. First measure will be to bead blast the paint and corrosion products from the external surface, then treat the interior, then I'd probably fill the tubes with an inert fluid eg lanolin. Finally make good.

I've just dug out our copy of AP119A-0200-1 (Corrosion Manual) which recommends the following after removal of as much corrosion deposits as possible:

Swab the affected area with a chromic acid/sulphuric acid solution.

Wash with clean water and dry

If necessary repeat until corrosion deposits are removed

Apply Alocrom 1200
    Last edited by 12jaguar; 13th October 2009 at 16:25. Reason: clarity

At last some new build structure to report. the first of 4 seat support beams wet assembled with the welcome assistance of my son Andy

Name:	seat structure 004.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	177919   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat structure 002.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	177920  

Good to see some newbuilt structure. Keep it up.
    Cees

A bit of a way to go to catch you up Cees, but we're getting there

Hi John,

Well, you have to start somewhere, don't you?

About the Micke Fell bits in store for the RAFM. What are the plans they intend to do with them. Is there a chance that any future restoration plans will be carried out? A major museum like RAFM should strive to have a representative airframe of part thereof on display (my opinion mind you) but if they are unable to do so at short notice, wouldn't it be agreeable to combine your efforts with the available parts for restoration (tailsection for instance) to have at least something on display in the near future? Keeping them in deep storage doesn't do anything for the Stirlings legacy and former crewmembers are getting few by the month.

Cheers
    Cees

Been there, tried that I'm afraid Cees. We approached the RAFM with a view to having the sizeable remnants on loan, but they weren't prepared to let us have them. all they did loan us was the u/c and lower nacelles structure which has now been returned.

At the moment we seem to be getting a head of steam up and whilst it appears that we're only just making a start, a lot of material and info has been accumulated over the past few years so I'm hoping that you should now see some steady progress, with new parts being amalgamated with original items.

Fingers crossed that we're left where we are for a while

I for one would love to see the rear section with fin and tailplanes/tailwheels restored with a rear turret fitted. It would make a very imposing display item!
    Cheers,Peter

It would be nice to see the rear fuselage restored, but I'm not sure how much of the surviving portion would be original by the time it's finished with. If it could be re-assembled and conserved with the empennage attached it would be an imposing exhibit in it's current state

And it wouldn't the effort needed to fully restore it. Even unrestored it would look impressive. The Hampden is also being rebuilt half and half IIRC.
    But as you say, been there done that.
    I have been in contact with Pino the last few days and I know all the hard work anyone in the Stirling Project have been doing and still are doing to be certain that in a decade or so something very substantial will emerge. Perhaps Barrage Balloon will see that effort too and informs us about the section he had been discussing.
    Cheers
    Cees

Quote Originally Posted by CeBro View Post
    Perhaps Barrage Balloon will see that effort too and informs us about the section he had been discussing.
    Cheers
    Cees
    One can but hope

Wants List

Hi all,

Obviously with all the structural work that is now taking place, we are actively looking for items to populate the various crew stations. As a starter for ten please see the following list of items that we need. This will be a living list and will be added to or have items deleted on a regular basis. We do have a number of items that can be used for swaps to avoid the evils of money:diablo:

5C/372 (2 off) Identification switchbox (early metal type)
    5C/1588 (2 off) Dunlop type rheostat AHO16130
    5C/1749 Undercarriage indicator
    5C/2003 or 5C/2084 (4 off) Prop feathering buttons
    5D/659 Selector switchbox Type G
    5D/664 (?) Automatic bomb distributor Type VII
    5D/1062 Interlock Firng Switch
    6A/1439 Direct reading air temperature thermometer Mk 1

Will try and post some pictures later

TIA

John
    Last edited by 12jaguar; 27th October 2009 at 10:41. Reason: clarity

Some more progress:

All four seat support structures have been assembled and a jig has been constructed to keep everything square. The first stage of our cockpit is now a distinct possibility as we have the information we need and with any luck we'll be able to show something similar to the attached archive photo. A lot more work before that event though

Name:	IMG_0685.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	178271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0686.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	178272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StirlingControls.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	178274  
    Last edited by 12jaguar; 1st September 2011 at 12:39.

Congratulations to the Stirling team. This is really going to highlight the engineering design of the Stirling. Can't wait to see it first hand..

I would like to see the large sections in storage handed over to you chaps before it is too late.
    Cheers,Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I would like to see the large sections in storage handed over to you chaps before it is too late.
    More work...... (groan)

The difficult part will be to arrest the internal corrosion, I shall look at the recent corrosion thread to see if that can give us some ideas unless anyone on here has some thoughts?

Yup, use ACF-50 as this will kill corrosion on contact, preserve what is there, drive out any moisture, and will not attack the structure.

Its designed for the aerospace industry and I have used gallons of the stuff for corrosion proofing aircraft that I work on.

Needless to say you can get it from me but its not cheap although I can do a bit of discount.

Regards
    Mark
    " If a Test pilot tells you something that's so bloody complicated you can't understand it, then its all Balls "

R.J Mitchell

Thanks Mark

PM inbound.....

John

Stirling Projects wants list

With the kind permission of Alan Hulme, please see a revised list of wants for the project, hover over the image for description and qty required. As stated previously we do have a number of items available for swaps etc, PM me for further info

ta

John
    Last edited by 12jaguar; 5th November 2009 at 14:26. Reason: Thumbnails deleted and added to later post

John,

Some of these items are availble from milrecs.com. I have seen them or purchased some of these in the past, but at a price.
    I know I know,

Cees

Thanks Cees

Don't often look on Milrecs, should do more often.

Just missed out on an ASI on E-**y last night but was too busy scoffing my dinner

John, PM sent

Thread Information