Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Stirling Project Update

Excellent update John,

Good to see progress is being made. Now model companies take note, how about a 1/48 Stirling?
    Cees
    Ultravox at Lokeren 08.08.09, I was there!

CAD

Loved the Cadwork.Great work!!!!Lots of work involved getting the numbers right but it makes life so much easier in the long run.
    Here is our preliminary one using ProDesktop...A students version of ProEngineer.
    Keep up the fantastic work
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.
    http://spitfirea58-27.blogspot.com.au/

Thanks for that QLD. The use of CAD should start to speed up the project now as we have some definitive dimensions to work from and can start to produce a jig fixture for the Fuselage frames.

We intend to start working on Frames 1 to 3 which is the first fuselage break, this will help to prove the manufacturing process and give a chance for the non-aircraft members to cut their teeth on some reasonably complicated structure. A side benefit of this is that it will allow us to provide a mount for the front turret should we choose to.

cheers

John

Well done John - it looks great. Where did the info for the fuselage frames come from? There are some surviving Whitley fuselage frames, plus one drawing of frame 33. We also have some fuselage frame sections extant in recovered wreckage.

Thanks Elliott, I can't take any credit for this work. I think that we had a good GA and information was gleaned from all manner of sources over the last 15 years or so. I'm no designer but the experts tell me that they've got it pretty well buttoned up now to a definitive profile and dimension.

John

Lovely Project

I envy you chaps all that work space , but what a great project this is and I wish you the best of luck. I love that word extruded . Reminds me of " Curly Wurlies "

Quote Originally Posted by hindenburg View Post
    looking good John,You found the correct material in the end then rather than `making do` with that first batch of I section ?
    Not the correct spec, but our friendly local machine shop milled down the extrusion to the correct size for a minimal cost. Haven't seen them in person yet but I understand they look very good and just need a small amount of tidying up

Cad II

Sorry if I,m not turning this into another Spitfire thread but jigs are easy to do..:diablo:
    "If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.

:diablo: Will it be at Cockpit-Fest 12jaguar?

It would be nice to see the CAD files running on a PC to help promote the cause!
    Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
    Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

It would be nice to see the CAD files running on a PC to help promote the cause!
    Animated assemblies look nice that way....Or have an original drawing,the Cad part and then the built part in order..The joining of old and new technollagies is what I enjoy..Yes a Stirling effort guys..

Newark did have a project running with a local college to reverse engineer some badly corroded Gant internal structures and missing wing-pins / pivots for the MiG-27.

They got as far as producing the CAD files but sadly funding changes meant they never got round to cutting metal – nevertheless the integration of technologies is impressive.

There’s an article sat on the desk of at least one UK aviation magazine [not a KP title] about the co-operative scheme, which has sadly not seen the light of day. The pictures show the CAD work done on the wing-pin / pivot and the badly corroded Gnat part [gate guard duties at RAF Valley! ] they aimed to replicate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MiG-27-CAD_5.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	176905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gnat-cutout 1.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	176906  

Quote Originally Posted by hindenburg View Post
    some clot at work thought it was a good idea to put large steel I beam on top of my ally I beams...and now they don`t look too clever " but It was in the I beam section was his explanation" DUH

Oh dear buffoons abound!

Will it be at Cockpitfest?

I suspect that seats, instrument panel and maybe the control column for next year may be the order of the day. could bring the turret again:diablo:

John

Quote Originally Posted by 12jaguar View Post
    Will it be at Cockpitfest?

I suspect that seats, instrument panel and maybe the control column for next year may be the order of the day. could bring the turret again:diablo:

John
    Personally I’m always pleased to see anything Stirling related coming ‘home’ to Winthorpe – just don’t necessarily expect a prize for the turret!

Prizes aren't everything and it is a big lump to shift!

Just hoping that we have some decent progress to show to the punters next year.

John

I'm sure there'll be some progress John and please remember my earlier comment - "It would be nice to see the CAD files running on a PC to help promote the cause!"

Quote Originally Posted by TwinOtter23 View Post
    – just don’t necessarily expect a prize for the turret!
    I wish I had a turret to take.......!:diablo:

Lovely CAD work BTW. Bloomin' great big thing the Stirling innit?
    Last edited by MarkG; 24th September 2009 at 14:55.
    "Don't tell him Pike!"

Hunter FGA.78 QA12

Excellent work - bring it all that's what I say!!

Thanks for the positive comments. It's our intention to update the CAD model with various items to show where they actually fit on the aircraft and to give some perspective on the size of the thing Also a handy way of displaying some of the restored items.

John

Looking great John!

CAD is invaluable tool & I'm quite sure it will work well for a project of this type.

It's neat to see the restored parts incorporated into the model.

Here are a few screen caps from my little CAD project. I had was attempting to reverse engineer the area near the armour plate, so that I could work up some details for the missing economizer cover. I got a bit carried away.

Far from complete.....

Regards,
    Mike

Sweeeet

I got a bit carried away.
    Hmm now where have I heard that before.....Awsome work..I bow to your Cad Jedi Master!!!

Very nice Mike, I'm a bit of a Luddite where computers are concerned but I have to admit that CAD really brings the subject to life (in the right hands...not mine!)

Very interesting to see the CAD work, thanks.

Talking about the Stirling and computers there is a Stirling being made for the IL2 flight sim game thats looking pretty good.

Briyeo,

Could you please pass that one to Trumpter please?

1/48 would be nice.

Cheers

Cees
    Ultravox at Lokeren 08.08.09, I was there!

Hi Cees,

I recntly had contact with a short run model company, they may be planning a 1/32 or even 1/24 scale model

John

last CAD update for a while, this new one shows the pitot probe and a top and side view of the pilots escape hatch. I've also attached a picture showing the seat structure I beams before and after machining to spec. When I can pull my finger out, I'll post some photos of some recent acquisitions

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sept09-DV_TURRET_PITOT_HATCH.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	177344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I beam.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	177346  
    Last edited by 12jaguar; 1st September 2011 at 12:37.

As promised I've posted the photos of our latest acquistions here:

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/sho...t=90313&page=9

Below I've belatedly posted a photo of one our members Sqn Ldr Ron Lunney looking at the remains of the bomb aimers escape hatch surround recovered from LJ628 in 2005. This item has been extremely useful in creating our CAD model thus far. This would have been the last view that Ron would have had of 'his' Stirling R9278, from which he baled out over France in April 1945. Suitable captions please.....:diablo:
    Last edited by 12jaguar; 5th October 2009 at 20:27. Reason: Added info

Suitable captions please.....:diablo:
    "I'd sooner go out the door behind me..."
    Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Nice one Doc, I hasten to add that there are no prizes

Awww at least at WIX they offer a fat pony....
    'Watch that first step"

Below I've belatedly posted a photo of one our members Sqn Ldr Ron Lunney looking at the remains of the bomb aimers escape hatch surround recovered from LJ628 in 2005. This item has been extremely useful in creating our CAD model thus far. This would have been the last view that Ron would have had of 'his' Stirling R9278, from which he baled out over France in April 1945. Suitable captions please.....:diablo:
    "err-I think we may be a wee bit low to bale out at this altitude Skipper!!!!"

Thread Information