Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Stirling Project Update

Simply amazing
    "If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.
    http://spitfirea58-27.blogspot.com.au/

can't agree more, excellent work going on there. Will the project concentrate on the fittings
    before starting on the cockpit structure? are those drawings already finalized?

Exciting times to see what progress has been made in recent years by the stirling project.

Cheers

Cees
    Ultravox at Lokeren 08.08.09, I was there!

I second that! Well done chaps

DS
    Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Broere View Post
    can't agree more, excellent work going on there. Will the project concentrate on the fittings
    before starting on the cockpit structure? are those drawings already finalized?

Exciting times to see what progress has been made in recent years by the stirling project.

Cheers

Cees
    Hi Cees

A fellow Forumite is making steady progress in producing a CAD model that is already confirming some of the hardcopy drawings that we have produced in the past, most dimensions coming out less than 1/32 of an inch apart which is pretty accurate/reasonable in my book. Once the model is developed we can then start on producing jigs and templates to allow frame manufacture to proceed.

We are making some of the fixtures and fittings as:-

a. we have original drawings and/or items
    b. They are more readily transportable allowing us to display them in a cockpit context (see previous posts)

John

Stunning work there guys.
    It is a shame that such lovely work will be hidden away.
    Best of luck with the rest of the project.
    It is only kinky the first time...

Quote Originally Posted by Arm Waver View Post
    Stunning work there guys.
    Best of luck with the rest of the project.

Well you know what they say, 'The devil is in the detail'

At least at the end of this we can sit in the seats and play hangar pilot:diablo:

Quote Originally Posted by 12jaguar View Post
    . . and the use of some parts that Pondskater has leant us . .
    Delighted to help - and especially seeing the quality of the parts you are getting made. The bits on loan are from the floor of a Sunderland given to me years ago. It turned out have castings that were missing from the Delft column. Just shows, Stirling parts turn up in the strangest places. I didn't know I had some under my bed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arm Waver View Post
    It is but it is also marvellous to know that under the floor or behind the panels everything will be in place and right. Painstaking work but well worth it. Well done to all involved.
    "Writing is easy - all you have to do is stare at a blank piece of paper until your forehead bleeds." - Douglas Adams

Hi all

Just a quick note to explain why I haven't updated this thread for a while. Work is still progressing on the project aim of reconstructing the forward fuselage section, but unfortunately we've had to put our plans on hold for the time being as we've been temporarily evicted from our workshop due to the revelopment of RAF Wyton. We lost our previous workshop as it was required by the Station although we were able to operate from a couple of small rooms that still had light and power.

Unfortunately we were then evicted from them as well as the rest of the Hangar refurbishment was brought forward, this has necessitated everything moving on to the hangar floor and has stopped all major work as we have no power in the hangar and we can't even use a portable generator.

That said the MOD have been very supportive and we will be moving into new, fully refurbished accomodation within the same hangar that will actually be much better than our previous workshop. The only downside is the disruption to our progress just as we were getting up a head of steam and we have lost a certain amount of storage space which has meant exploring the loaning out some of our sizeable relics.

The FN5 Nose Gun Turret is now safely located in the warm and dry of the Wyton based Pathfinder Museum. Work is progressing on the fabrication of items such as the control column bottoms and various other small items so we're not idle.

With any luck we will be back working in earnest by the end of Feb/March.

cheers for now

John

Thanks for the update John,

Well if this minor set back will result in better accomodation then it will have to be part of the process won't it? A good outlook for the future at least.

Good to hear that you have so much support at Wyton, totally the opposite happened to Russ Snadden and his cew whil restoring Black Six.

Keep it up

Cheers
    Cees

Hi Cees,

The MOD have been very supportive of our project over the years and have asked very little of us in return. We always support the Wyton Families day and have a very good relationship with the resident Pathfinder Museum. There are currently a lot of changes happening to the infrastructure at Wyton and it will cease to be the recognisable Bomber Station it once was. In fact I think that in time it may cease to be an RAF establishment as it is being given over to Defence Intelligence (a contradiction in terms if ever there was one!:diablo So we'll hace to see what the future holds in the long term when the new lords and masters take over.

In the meantime, we have continued support and the RAF has given exactly the accomodation that we'll need to take forward the Project.

Belatedly I must extend our public thanks to MarkG for helping us to get the large control column items cast. (shown above).

regards all

John

Will you be displaying at Cockpitfest this year?

It’s always nice to see your Stirling items displayed on former site that operated the type.

I'm not sure if we'll be taking any Stirling items this year as the enforced break has hit our plans somewhat. I am hoping to take my Chippy and if we have some new completed Stirling items I'll try and bring those along as well

It’s a shame about the disruptions that you’ve suffered. Still new pieces and the Chipmunk cockpit would be nice to see.

Newark’s Chipmunk project seems to be more or less complete, I think it looks rather swish – although I would have preferred something other than the red, white and grey scheme that was chosen. The one down at Bruce’s haunt is much nicer!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinOtter23 View Post
    I would have preferred something other than the red, white and grey scheme that was chosen.
    Ah you'll be pleased with the colour scheme that she'll be in when she's finished then! Silver with yellow trainer bands, but that'll be some time off yet as she's very much a work in progress.

Wrt the disruption, I can't complain really as the RAF have been very good to us over the years, and to be honest it has given us a chance to take stock and to finalise some plans and acquisitions. The downside is slightly less space for storage, although we have had a good sort out of some of our eqpt which should actually make for a less cluttered workshop

Hopefully will have something new to show Stirling wise even if it is still work in progress.

John

Silver and yellow sounds good for the Chippie, although my real favourite is light grey and dayglo!

Anything Stirling wise is always good.

I've chosen silver and yellow as I don't think she ever wore anything other (save for a short spell as G-ATJK at Hamble). I have one pic of her in that scheme and despite looking everywhere I can think of I haven't come up with any other photos to prove otherwise.

I will endeavour to bring something new on the Stirling front, even if they're only small widgits

John

Quote Originally Posted by TwinOtter23 View Post
    It’s a shame about the disruptions that you’ve suffered. Still new pieces and the Chipmunk cockpit would be nice to see.

Newark’s Chipmunk project seems to be more or less complete, I think it looks rather swish – although I would have preferred something other than the red, white and grey scheme that was chosen. The one down at Bruce’s haunt is much nicer!

I thank you ..

Jobs for this year are to swap the engine for a runnable one, and to finish the Birmingham UAS crest on the fuselage.

Err, sorry, gone OT. Light grey Stirling anyone?

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I thank you ..

Err, sorry, gone OT. Light grey Stirling anyone?
    Not Lt grey, but there are silver Stirlings although not with yellow trainer bands

John

A Stirling with spin strakes and chippie wheels?

Shall we keep this thread purely Stirlingish please?

Cheers

Cees

Guys can we please stick to the original topic of this thread ?
    Last edited by Peter; 29th January 2009 at 13:34.

Sorry for the thread creep guys – but at least it has resulted in some progress possibly being made for one of 12jaguar’s ‘other’ projects!

Also perhaps for Newark, the former location of significant Stirling operations!!

To stay on topic,

John, what about the Stirling canopy, are any of these about or
    will that one have to be reconstructed as well? Recentely an
    escape hatch was sold on e-bay, so parts are possibly around.

Cheers

Cees

We have got an escape hatch and some canopy structure. With the able assistance of David Collins we are constructing a 3D CAD model to enable us to manufacture the Coupe assembly. If there are any other canopy parts out there we would be very grateful for the loan of them so that we can reverse engineer.

Work currently ongoing in the background can be summarised as follows:

Pilots seats
    Control Columns
    Rudder pedal assy
    3D CAD model

Once we're back into our workshop we can commence with proper fabrication work

cheers

John

As promised here are a few pictures of some new items that we've made over the last few months whilst we've been without our workshop. On that front the MOD have really done us proud and given us 2 fully refurbished rooms within the same hangar. We've had a lot of sorting out to do and we're finally getting sorted although it'll still be a few weeks before we're up to speed again. Anyway the pictures are of the Pilot/Co-pilot seat adjusters and assorted castings for control column base shroud, rudder pedal adjuster housing and seat rails. I've also posted a few photos of some of our artefacts on Hindenburg's Stirling Bits thread if you're interested.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rudder pedal adjuster casting.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	173211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seat adjuster mechanism.JPG 
Views:	221 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	173212  

Not strictly a work update, but here's some photos of a very nice Mk VIIc Bombsight that we've got. Not really a Stirling item, but very nice nonetheless and is available if anyone can trade some suitable Stirling Items in return
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 12jaguar; 1st September 2011 at 12:34.

a very nice Mk VIIc Bombsight that we've got
    Looks lovely but be aware, they are very "hot" and not all of it is under glass!
    The garage that keeps on giving.

Thanks for the warning, it's safely tucked away in store at the moment

A quick update to keep you all in the picture. Due to the almost total lack of drawings our Drawing Officer has been panistakingly, reverse engineering those items that we have and gaining an insight into the original design rationale. From this he has plotted the frame stations and profiles. This has allowed a CAD model to be produced and lo and behold everything fits. Whilst I'm no CAD engineer I do know that a considerable amount of work has to be undertaken to get to this stage and the CAD Model proves the drawing and would show up any inaccuracies or anomalies.

Also we have just picked up the seat chassis members which were machined from extruded section. These are now accurate to drawing (we have that one) and assembly of the chassis can now commence.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sept09-1.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	176861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sept09-3.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	176863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seat Frame 1.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	176864  
    Last edited by 12jaguar; 1st September 2011 at 12:35.

Excellent. I can't wait to see more progress pictures and especially the finished article.

Quote Originally Posted by G-HUEY View Post
    Excellent. I can't wait to see more progress pictures and especially the finished article.
    I can't either although I expect to older and greyer

Thread Information