Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New MiG-35 (in flight) photos

New MiG-35 (in flight) photos

With a nice view at what that curious bump was we were all wondering out a few weeks ago!

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...d.php?t=104538

(some sort of optics)

The trademark , black smoke can be seen
    "A map does you no good if you don't know where you are"

Great looking bird!!! Does anybody know what the bulges are under the engine housings? The one under the left engine appears to be some sort of optical device whilst there is a much smaller one under the right engine bay???

It seems that this aircraft still does not have the TVC engines which is interesting, we know they work becouse we all saw the OVT video a few months back, and we know that the IAF seems to like TVC engines, so I wonder what the reason is?

This aircraft could easily be one of the worlds premier A2A platforms, with AESA radar and an AAM loadout of 2xAA-11 4xAA-12 and 2xR-27EP, combined with the AESA radar and possibly TVC.
    Last edited by sealordlawrence; 7th February 2007 at 15:46.

What about a DIRCM (Directed Infrared Counter Measures) system?

I remind to have seen some curious optical apertures on the wingtips of MiG-35...maybe a MAWS?

Did we have any information if MiG-35 prototype is powered by RD-33MK or RD-33 Series-3?

Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post
    What about a DIRCM (Directed Infrared Counter Measures) system?

I remind to have seen some curious optical apertures on the wingtips of MiG-35...maybe a MAWS?

Did we have any information if MiG-35 prototype is powered by RD-33MK or RD-33 Series-3?
    That is certainly one possibility, another might be that this is a second IRST designed to operate in conjuction with the nose mounted one to provide a larger picture for the A2G role?

What I can say for sure is that this is one fantastic aircraft- I think Mig may have their hands on a winner here.

Wow! What a beautiful airplane!

I'm now reminded as to why the MiG-29 is my favorite Russian fighter.
    Fox-4!

Picture of radar size. I think it is using series 3 engines.

To quote Tom Clancy: "Say what you want about the Russians...they do build 'em pretty."

That's what a fighter is supposed to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomII View Post
    Wow! What a beautiful airplane!

I'm now reminded as to why the MiG-29 is my favorite Russian fighter.
    No, I thought its the MiG-23!
    pb::

Quote Originally Posted by star49 View Post
    Picture of radar size. I think it is using series 3 engines.
    What radar might this be???
    In Search Of Consciousness

Zhuk-A if I am not mistaken.

Phazotron FGA01-01 Zhuk-MAE.

Last edited by flex297; 8th February 2007 at 12:07.

Thats an AESA right???

Never did get their designations

Quote Originally Posted by raids13 View Post
    Thats an AESA right???

Never did get their designations
    Yes, that is an AESA. Currently using COTS T/R modules, that is the last thing Phazotron still has to finish..

The designations Zhuk-xxx are pretty understandable.

M stands for Modernized
    S stands for Su-27/30 series (larger antenna diameter)
    F stands for PESA
    A stands for AESA
    E stands for export

So, if you got Zhuk-MSE and Zhuk-MFE, then it is clear that both come from N010M Zhuk-M modernized series (slotted), both are clear for export. The only difference is that MSE is slotted version for Su-27 while MFE is PESA version for MiG-29. Now it won't be that hard to solve Zhuk-ME, Zhuk MSFE or Zhuk-MAE, will it?

Quote Originally Posted by flex297 View Post
    Yes, that is an AESA. Currently using COTS T/R modules, that is the... will it?

Thanks flex That surely clears it up.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by sealordlawrence View Post
    Great looking bird!!! Does anybody know what the bulges are under the engine housings? The one under the left engine appears to be some sort of optical device whilst there is a much smaller one under the right engine bay???

It seems that this aircraft still does not have the TVC engines which is interesting, we know they work becouse we all saw the OVT video a few months back, and we know that the IAF seems to like TVC engines, so I wonder what the reason is?

This aircraft could easily be one of the worlds premier A2A platforms, with AESA radar and an AAM loadout of 2xAA-11 4xAA-12 and 2xR-27EP, combined with the AESA radar and possibly TVC.

Seems that the device under the right engine duct is a kind of target illuminating device. According to itsd shape, it is designed for the MiG-35 / MiG-29M2 it's the same ircraft which have been resprayed, indeed, just for the Indndian AFD market, I guess). It does not seem to be fitted with TVC, but it is very hard to see on such photos.

Arrow

Seems that the device under the right engine duct is a kind of target illuminating device. According to itsd shape, it is designed for the MiG-35 / MiG-29M2 it's the same ircraft which have been resprayed, indeed, just for the Indndian AFD market, I guess). It does not seem to be fitted with TVC, but it is very hard to see on such photos. TAZZ

I tend to agree with Pit. If you want the ability to scan for and see targets below and behind the aircraft it is just as easy to fit a SAPSAN like pod facing backwards than to build an optical port there.
    So near the undercarriage, there must be a very good reason to fit it there, and I am guessing it is to prevent attack by IR and optically guided anti aircraft missiles.

The MIG35 is a damn site prettier then the f-35.

I guess stealth ain't pretty.

Some hard data as per Russians at Aero India

- crew - 1 or 2
    - take off wt 17500 kg normal
    -maximum-23500kgs
    -max landing wt - 16800 kgs
    -max combat load 6500 kgs
    -max speed at sea level-1400km/hr
    -at high altitude- 2100km/hr
    -max altitude- 17500 mtr
    -max g load - 9.0
    max range 2000 km
    with 3 drop tanks-3000km
    with 3 drop tanks +one mid air refueling - 6000 kms

Engine RD 33 MK or thrust vectoring RD 33 MKV WITH 9000Kgf
    life engine - 4000 hrs
    1st overhaul-1000 hrs

quadrapole redundant three axis digital fly by wire control
    Zhuk AE muli mode active phased array radar detection range more than 140 km ( 250 km??) with upto 30+targets on track while scan mode operation

integrated in flight refueling system

OLS UEM forward looking optronic search and track system with IR TV Laser range finder cum target illumination channel

cockpit information management system

upper air intake eliminated

fuel capacity 1.5 times compared to mig 29

10 weapon hard points and may come with Kh 31 anti ship missile,RVV AE,Integrated Gsh 301 with ammo 150 rounds,KAB 500TV guided bombs,KH 35 anti ship missile,Kh 31P anti radiation missile,

three multifunctional colour LCDs and wide angle HUD,four MFDS in second cockpit if incorporated.

VK 100 turbine starter

MIL STD 1553 B compliant multiple data bus

Full HOTAS capability

OLS UEM forward looking IRST SYSTEM

OLS K 360 degree look down IRST

thrust vectoring plus/minus 20 degree all aspect (more than su-30 mki)

Who know the specification of Phazotron FGA01-01 Zhuk-MAE?
    Je pense, donc je suis.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by franc View Post
    Who know the specification of Phazotron FGA01-01 Zhuk-MAE?
    I have obtained a 40 page Phazothron information & analytical journal on that very radar. I'll post a scan shortly.

For now, i only have a terribly taken pic of an infoboard of the radar :

Last edited by Stealth Spy; 12th February 2007 at 06:50.

What's this red circled?
    Last edited by franc; 12th February 2007 at 13:23.
    Je pense, donc je suis.

As I posted before (can't find now ), it seems to be a pod for navigation, detection, sighting and reconnaissance.

The following part of a press report from Mig was posted by someone before, either in the Aero India 2007 thread or in Mig-29KUB, Mig-35... threads

(...)A revolutionary feature of the MiG-35 is the integration of the most advanced optic-electronic sighting and targeting systems. The developers utilized unique technologies from the Russian space program when creating these systems. The MiG-35 is equipped with in-built multi-channel surveying-and-sighting optic-electronic system which has an extended range. The multi-channel optic-electronic station to be fitted to the aircraft in a pod allows for round-the-clock navigation, detection, sighting and reconnaissance.(...)
    Source: RAC "MiG" presents its latest MiG-35 fighter at AERO INDIA 2007
    Slán, fightingirish
    Avatar: Ho-Yeol Ryu, Flughafen (Airport), Hannover [HAJ / EDDV] 2005

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish View Post
    As I posted before (can't find now ), it seems to be a pod for navigation, detection, sighting and reconnaissance.

The following part of a press report from Mig was posted by someone before, either in the Aero India 2007 thread or in Mig-29KUB, Mig-35... threads

Source: RAC "MiG" presents its latest MiG-35 fighter at AERO INDIA 2007
    Sounds kind of like the EOTS system on the F-35?

I would be interested to know what if any efforts have been made to reduce the aircrafts RCS?

Sounds kind of like the EOTS system on the F-35?
    A bit, yes. It doesn't quite have the same spherical coverage though and is probably draggier (there are appertures, but they aren't distributed). The closest Western equivalent is definitely the F-16E/F. This podded thing sound like it might be detachable, certainly a good idea on pure fighter missions.

I would be interested to know what if any efforts have been made to reduce the aircrafts RCS?
    Apparently there have been efforts, but I'd say their extent is pretty modest. A better surface finish, some RAM here and there, a treated canopy and perhaps even a frequency selective radome. IMHO that would be about it, though.

It is the 680 module version currently installed. still less than a $1m
    Russian fighter with active phased array radar first shown to public at Indian exhibition

BANGALORE, India. Feb 9 (Interfax-AVN) - The MiG-35 fighter jet, featuring an active phased array radar, made its first foreign public appearance at the Aero India 2007 aerospace show in Bangalore.

"The radar added new combat characteristics to the fighter, and enhanced its effectiveness dramatically," Yury Guskov, the First Deputy Designer General and the Chief Designer of the Fazotron-NIIR Corporation, told Interfax-AVN on Friday.

The active phased array radar has the effective range increased twice. Digital scanning allows it to simultaneously operate in air-to-air and air-to-surface modes, track group and single targets, identifying their type and class. For instance, such radar can easily distinguish between the F-16 and MiG-21, MiG-29 or other fighters.

According to Guskov, there are two such radars now, based on monolith integral circuits. "The main advantage of such radars is that they have transmitters built in every emitting element, while the passive phased array that also features a capability to digitally control the beam has only one transmitter, which affects its reliability significantly. Its guaranteed service life varies from 60-120 hours, while active phased arrays with 680 transmitters remain fully operational even when 10% of them are out of order," he said.

He added that this raised the guaranteed service life of an active phased array radar to 10,000 hours. "We officially guarantee only 600-900 hours now, because the technology still needs to be proven in operation," he said.

He added that the active phased array radar employs a high-speed computer, capable of 50 billion simple operations, which ensures radar signal processing with high resolution, so that targets become visible even if they are located 35-50 meters one from another.

Guskov also said that the radar installed in the MiG-35 also has 680 emitting elements. Later on the number may be increased to 1,064, while the radars of Su-30 will have more than 2,000 of them. "As of now the price of one emitting assembly is $400. When we start mass-production, it will cost far less," he said.

He noted that the active phased array radar of the MiG-35 is based fully and entirely on Russian microelectronics. "Our radar is not inferior to any foreign analogies, but costs less. As a matter of fact, only France and the U.S. could afford having active phased arrays on their planes. Now Russia joined the club," he said and added that the array is designed so as to be easily assembled and disassembled in the manner of the Lego play sets.

According to him, the array is fully integral with the power supply system and the cooling system of the fighter. "This is of paramount importance, because active phased arrays may be incapacitated quite simply. If no cooling is provided, the element's temperature will immediately rise to 300, 400, 500 degrees Centigrade and it will simply burn. An active phased array radar at a price of several million dollars can burn in mere seconds," he said.

He added that the production version of the active phased array radar to be installed into the MiG-35 fighter will be ready next year.

Thread Information