Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: "Spitfire" documentary air-to-airs...how were they done?

"Spitfire" documentary air-to-airs...how were they done?

I'm reviewing the new documentary film "Spitfire" for a U. S. magazine, and I wondered how the superb air-to-air footage was done. Obviously some of it is from helicopters, since the helo operators (and Steadicams) are listed in the film's credits, but were any of the shots from small drones? I also assume I'm correct in saying there was absolutely no CGI used anywhere in the film, correct?

John Dibbs did it all! He's probably the best air to.aor photographer in the industry! I believe the imagery was done from.helicopters.

Taken during filming at Bicester...

Name:  DSC_7539 copy copy copy.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  317.2 KB

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    I had to laugh at some of the comments on Facebook that I saw, especially one saying that he was "fed up of CGI aviation films" - and would not be going to see this one.

He obviously hadn't paid attention to any of the pre-release stuff about Dunkirk, either....!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Not to get too side tracked from the thread but Dunkirk was a terrible film BECAUSE it had no CGI. The average person would not have learned what it was really like at Dunkirk in 1940 either on the beaches or in the air. The flying sequences in Dunkirk are not a patch on the wonderful footage in the Spitfire film.

Totally agree, empty seas, beaches and air, I cannot understand why anyone raved about Dunkirk, it was a shadow of the one that had come before, I have seen more people on Blackpool beach during the winter, and as for the flying scenes, it needed CGI to fill the skies, I bet the CGI Spits wouldn't glide for miles either

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

Interesting, but treading a well-worn path as far as the Nolan movie is concerned. It has been discussed at length.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Thread Information