Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Shiny paint? Pah!

Shiny paint? Pah!

Came across this on an FB Group that posts colourised Fighter & Bomber Command images. I'm not convinced colourising always works that well -
    But I think this one is fabulous: sniff it , and you can actually smell the fuel and the leaking oil...

Name:  35970144_662110747459111_6716269230972469248_n.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  89.6 KB photos

It's captioned: "Hawker Hurricane Mk I (VY-K P3408) flown by Sgt Geoffrey 'Sammy' Allard of No. 85 Squadron RAF, hooked up to an accumulator trolley possibly at Castle Camps during July 1940. "
    https://www.facebook.com/rafcommand/
    Last edited by Mahone; 22nd June 2018 at 11:33.

That is superb.We get used to seeing pristine preserved aircraft ,yes there were that at times but they were also killing machines operating in all conditions on the ground and in the air,battered ,beaten worn out and thrashed.I used to like the Old Warden Spitfire and the one in the IWM when hey still had that used look.

I'm with Trumper- the OW Spit had great patina, the Sea Hurricane has now. There is someone at OW who has a lovely attention to detail, I remember wandering round the hangars a few winters ago and someone had left a chute on the Hurri's wing root - a lovely little touch.

TT
    Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
    Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
    www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
    Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

I think this applies beyond military aircraft. As an example, I recall seeing Norman Giroux's Fox Moth in the 60s
    (before it was destroyed at Old Warden and then rebuilt.) It had a very distinct well worn, used look to it.
    Quite a number of aircraft of that era sported various patches and redopings.

Maurice Kirk's Cub has a very well worn appearance. :}

A bit more saturation on the red and I could almost believe that was a period Kodachrome.

My Dad could well have seen this aircraft - not far from Castle Camps or Debden. If only I could show him...

Adrian
    "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Also the interiors of many types were dirty and lots of bare metal and scuff marks.Engine exhaust soot was awful stuff to get of coveralls or anoraks etc!!

I think sometimes people mistakenly think that when you colourise a photo, everything has to have a colour. Block-filling the sky a uniform shade of blue is pretty lazy. Likewise the wheels on that unit sitting under the wing probably wouldn't have had nice walnut-brown tires. The attention to detail on the Hurricane is very nice, however!

Thread Information