Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who invented C/N?

I gave you a link that lists literally thousands of examples. This thread is like pulling frigging teeth.

I'm done.
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

ZRX61

I'm done.
    Done listening apparently.

Mark

Thanks for that document. Can you read the form number at top left? If the form number incorporates a printing date I expect it may predate 1928.
    Ron.

It appears that the original British Civil Register was re-written in 1939 on a document with form number dated 10/38.

Mark

"...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

I seem to remember that the CAA was rewritten in 1939 so the authorities had an idea what was really out there and current and available for being impressed in the event of war

Which is of course what happened

Paul

Thanks Mark for the card for G-EAAA which clarifies the illegible stamp on the card for G-ACTF posted by Consul in post #6. That somebody went to the trouble of preparing a rubber stamp seems to confirm that there was a mass movement from a register to cards on 1 January 1939.

Rgds

Although it does not answer the question of 'who invented c/n', I have attached the original article that Trevor Boughton wrote and published which discusses c/n versus msn, etc. Thanks to Trevor for providing permission to scan and share from Man and Aerial Machines. Not sure if you managed to dig up your copies of this, Ron - I noticed you contributed later on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Man & Aerial Machines 44 extracts OCR.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	299.9 KB 
ID:	261177
    I will add some more soon - will just concentrate on showing some of the ID plates.
    Let your soul stand cool and composed before a million universes – Walt Whitman
    http://vhjet.com

Name:	Man & Aerial Machines 45 extracts 1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	447.0 KB 
ID:	261178

Name:	Man & Aerial Machines 45 extracts 2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	273.6 KB 
ID:	261179
    I hope people find these interesting enough not to worry about the size of them...
    I think it would be great if we had a thread where people just shared aircraft data plate images.

Nicko

Thank you for going to the trouble of posting those items from "Man and Aerial Machines". You have prompted me to refer to my copies and it appears that the discussion continues over 10 parts. This discussion concentrates mainly on the presentation of serial numbers on aircraft data plates from a range of manufacturers and does not attempt to address the origins of the term "Constructor's Number". Thought by some to be a latter day construct by aviation enthusiasts/historians, it now seems that the term has legitimacy dating from before WWII. I am in discussions with Trevor Boughton (author of MaAM) and it's beginning to look like the term could have been introduced as early as 1919. The search is ongoing but I do not expect to find anything that will invalidate the optional use of Constructor's Number or Manufacturer's Serial Number to define the same numerical identity.

Rgds
    Regards

Ron

"History should always be studied in the morning, before anything else can happen."
    Charles M. Schulz 1923-2000

Thanks Ron.

Thread Information