Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Crash site, Dunbar Common, East Lothian.

Crash site, Dunbar Common, East Lothian.

Many years ago, early 1970s, I recovered a fish tailed exhaust manifold from an aircraft crash site at Dunbar Common, Lammermuir Hills, East Lothian. Over the years I have made a half hearted attempt to try to identify the aircraft type and even with the help of Mr. Google I have had no success.

The manifold is in good condition despite the impact damage and was fitted to an engine with circular exhaust port. I thought it might have been off an Allison V-1710 but a check has shown that this is not the case.

The exhaust outlet end of the manifold does contain some markings as follows;

3 x circular Inspections Stamps of which only one is partially readable. The circular stamping has E.1 on the top row and 123 on the lower row.

There is also the stamping GA3294/1.

Other than the exhaust manifold, the only mark at the impact site was a circular water filled hole in the ground.

If anybody has any knowledge of this crash site or can advise me as to the engine and/or aircraft type then please let me close this chapter in my life.

Thank you.

FITD

A pic might help.
    Cheers
    Cees

Possibly Blenheim Z5871 which crashed in the Lammermuirs 3.7.1941. From 60 OTU at East Fortune.

Didn't a Heinkel III crash there too? Some types had fishtail exhaust.
    Cheers
    Cees

Name:  DSCF0757.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  962.7 KB

To my knowledge two Heinkel 111 crashed in East Lothian during the war, one near North Berwick which was recovered and flown briefly by the RAF and the second at Humbie, East Lothian, a few Kms away from where I recovered the manifold.

Sabre Exhaust stub ,Typhoon or Tempest?
    WANTED FAIREY FIREFLY parts!
    Griffon74@btinternet.com

Thanks H.M.S. Vulture for the suggestion. No recorded Typhoon or Tempest crash site in the area BUT manifold outlet could have been rectangular prior to impact, similar to Sabre manifold. Making further inquires.

I take it that this was a bit further away?
    https://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.c...aseny-cottage/
    Martin

Hello Martin.

Yes, DN366 went in a few miles away from the crash site I visited. A good walk was involved over heathland/heather from the nearest road. Until I can positively identify the manifold I am only surmising it is off a Sabre engine based on examining photographs.

Thanks.

Thread Information