Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Best French and Italian fighters?

Best French and Italian fighters?

What were the all-around best French and Italian fighters of World War II? I'm guessing Dewoitine 520 and Reggianne 2002, but I'm looking for more knowledgeable opinions, for an Aviation History article I'll be writing.

The Italian 5 series fighters: Fiat G.55. Macchi Mc.205 and Reggiane Re.2005 were pretty much able to compete with later allied fighters.
    But its was a case of too few and too late.

They were good enough to raise interest, and even be operated, by Germany after the Italian armistice.

"Best" as of when? The Macchi 202 was perhaps the best in its time.

"Best" as of when?
    . Jeez, how specific do you need to be? I don't need to know which fighters were "best" for a few days in 1940. If a fighter was that limited, forget it.

Graham, I thought your query was quite reasonable. Quite a lot changed over six years.

Mr Wilkinson gets crabbier by the year. Curious way to illicit assistance.....

You raised the question - you are the one who needs to be specific. Just what do you mean by "best"? By itself it is a pretty meaningless term.

The best performing can easily be found by looking in a few references - the Fiat G.56 and the Macchi C.205N. Simples. Of course, neither of those actually saw service. Behind these are the important three 5-series fighters, of which the G-55 is generally considered the best but appeared a year or so later than the Macchi C.205V and the Reggiane 2005. However being available in 1943 (if only briefly, as with the Re.2005) is significant compared with what doesn't appear until in 1944. The opposition has raised its game, as indeed it did in 1942, as has Germany.

In 1942 the Macchi 202 was as good as those it fought alongside and against; the Bf109F, the P-40, the Hurricane, and even the Spitfire Mk.V. It was another matter when the P-38 and Spitfire Mk.9 appeared, as with the Bf.109G. Use of the Re 2001 was insignificant. Before this, even the better early Italian fighters were outclassed by the Hurricane and early P-40s. Of course the Fiat CR.42 looked pretty good against Gladiators and Furies.

So until you come up with a somewhat tighter definition of "best", I'd suggest the choice lies between the MC.202, the MC.205V and the G.55. Only the first two can be considered as equal or close to the best in the world (as opposed to just their theatre) at the time of their introduction. Only the first actually saw significant service in terms of duration of service, number of units equipped and hence number of combat missions. And, I would fairly safely assume, successes.

Italian World War II flying aces LINK -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...II_flying_aces
    Its not the always the aircraft, but the pilots skill that can determine the outcome.

Thread Information