Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: F7F Tigercat flight at the 2018 Planes of Fame airshow

F7F Tigercat flight at the 2018 Planes of Fame airshow

Stewart Dawson flying the Grumman F7F Tigercat at the 2018 Planes of Fame airshow.

Jason
    Jason Schillereff

Thanks Jason, another fine video piece. This aircraft is an impressive looking beast and something this size executing loops is great to watch. it’s a pity that bookings for UK shows didn’t encourage one to remain this side of the pond. Massive props and if I’m not mistaken slight forward sweep on the leading edge?

Yes, I certainly miss them leading the "Balbo" at Legends.

No forward sweep on the leading edge. Pretty much straight if I recall Stephens examples correctly.

Yes, I can see that now looking at scale plans but I can also see that the engine nacelle is about 1/3 wider than the fuselage - remarkable.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Next to the Essendon Drome, Under South End, North/South Runway!
    bloody ripper vid mate, love the tiger thank you for putting it up
    Cheer's all far and WIDE!! , Tally Ho from Phil in Oz!

WHAT GOE'S UP MUST COME DOWN

I don't think TFC sold their Tigercat due to lack of airshow bookings, think you'll find it was sold along with the other twin engined machines like the B-25 and Mosquito due to insurers not allowing the Boss to fly twin's.
    Shame either way as it was an impressive beast, especially the sound it made on take off .

I'm not surprised it sounded sweet on t/o - with two 2500hp R-2800's shoving it along!

Anon.

Thanks for the correction Keefy. The source of my comment was an article or online comment some way back.

Wonderful display flying. Spectacular but safe. Why is the place strewn with so many power cables? Must represent quite a hazard.

I saw a radar nosed Tigercat in the graveyard at Chino in 1997. It looked quite restorable. Does anyone know what became of it?

I saw a radar nosed Tigercat in the graveyard at Chino in 1997. It looked quite restorable. Does anyone know what became of it?
    Still on static display/unrestored - in need of sponsorship/money source if it were to be restored.

At present there are 6-7 flying Tigercats - two owned by Rod Lewis ("Here Kitty Kitty" and "La Patrona"), two owned by Jim Slattery (N379AK and N7629C), one owned by Dan Friedkin ("Bad Kitty" - previously owned by John Sessions), and one owned by Joe Clark (N909TC - previously owned by TFC). There is a 7th (N7195C), owned by an heir/family member of the Walton family (Lawrence Classics), considered airworthy by some sources, but is said to currently be undergoing extensive work/will be a regular flyer once completed.
    Last edited by JohnTerrell; 13th June 2018 at 14:01.

Thread Information