Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supermarine Swift move.......

Supermarine Swift move.......

It is anticipated that Swift G-SWIF, ex XF 114 will arrive at the Solent Sky Museum sometime next week if all plans go according to the plan.
    http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.83 times!

Good to hear!

That's great news if true, it really deserves to be in the public gaze. Has it been fully restored or will it be arriving as a project?
    "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

A shame she never made it to airworthiness

Is the poor old Supermarine Scimitar XD332 still mouldering outside there, or has it finally been put undercover?

Rob
    Last edited by Wyvernfan; 6th June 2018 at 07:42.

The Swift was looking pretty complete when I saw it last year at its secret location, but ashamed to say I did not pay it enough attention due to other committments at the time.

The Swift is going to be installed in the new Solent Sky Experimental Hangar.

No information on the Scimitar.

Would have made sense to loan the beautiful example that is outdoors at Doncaster?
    pb::

Swift was unloaded today.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Interesting: the photo doesn't correspond to the comment made at post #6. Looks much as it was when it was in Eric Heywood's care at Hurn.

Agreed, as I said, I did not pay it a lot of attention at that time due to other priorities in the area. At least it will now be under cover with hopefully, an interesting diorama to tell a story.

Before this Swift was in the care of Jet Heritage it was pretty complete. I read that it was dismantled for potential airworthy restoration until corrosion was found in some key parts (windscreen frame I recall?)

Were all of the parts kept with the airframe? Can it be reassembled fully again?

And there I was hopin g to see a fully restored, or atleast painted aircraft. They will have their hands full with that restoration .

Quote Originally Posted by Sadsack
    Would have made sense to loan the beautiful example that is outdoors at Doncaster?
    I'm pretty sure that one isn't outside

Thanks for the pic Newforest, glad she's seeing the light of day again. Is the plan to display her semi-restored as a kind of technical exhibit?

Vulcan, Swift and Canberra have been outside nearly a year now.

Not now being directly involved in the future plans, I assume it will not be completely restored as it is the centerpiece of the new exhibit 'Supermarine's jet prototype workshop'.

Quote Originally Posted by SADSACK
    Vulcan, Swift and Canberra have been outside nearly a year now.
    Swift remained in Hangar 1 when the Vulcan and Canberra moved outdoors. It was transferred back to Hangar 3 for the launch of the book about its history and restoration at the start of November 2017, and as far as I am aware, it is still in there.

Newforest - Sorry for the diversion from the thread topic. Hopefully, G-SWIF will one day be returned to a similar state of beauty as WK275. Does look a long a way to go though

Back in January 2018 a couple of photos were posted on UKAR, in which you can just make out the Swift outside at Doncaster next to XH558 on the right hand side; not sure if it is still in that location!

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtop...caster#p807943
    Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
    Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Hi All,
    Nothing outside on the Google maps satellite so I can only guess they are both indoors.....

While looking for swift images I did come across this image below and shows that although the outer restoration is very good under the bonnet so to
    speak is a very different story and has made me more appreciative of the work restorers even more. Obviously if time and money no object I assume
    all the inner workings of an aircraft would be restored to a reasonable standard for those who would like to see all the aircraft in it's entirety restored just
    short of airworthiness ?

It does indicate the actual amount of work that is required when taking these idols of ours apart then returning them into the varying stages of restored
    preservation whether it be cosmetic or airworthy that sometimes we all forget at times from the smallest of parts to the major parts all in all I applaud
    anybody who takes these projects on especially with ltd time and money, I thank you all.....

Courtesy of:-https://finningleygallery.smugmug.com/
    https://finningleygallery.smugmug.co...er/i-qTVW4p9/A

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 8th June 2018 at 19:38.

There is plenty of documented sightings and photographs of the Swift outside at Doncaster.

I agree David. Every picture that I have seen would suggest so!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinOtter23
    Back in January 2018 a couple of photos were posted on UKAR, in which you can just make out the Swift outside at Doncaster.....
    That must have happened late last year then - the Swift was still in Hangar 1 until July 2017, when it was moved to Hangar 3 (this is fact, not hearsay), and it was certainly still in there for the book launch on 18th November, so can have been outside for less than 7 months. In spite of the very smart exterior renovation, having seen pics of the very corroded state of the nosewheel bay when she was in Hangar 3 with 558 and 163 in 2016, I doubt if a further stay outside will worsen the existing damage from its previous 40 year stay outdoors by much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by plough View Post
    That must have happened late last year then - the Swift was still in Hangar 1 until July 2017, when it was moved to Hangar 3 (this is fact, not hearsay), and it was certainly still in there for the book launch on 18th November, so can have been outside for less than 7 months. In spite of the very smart exterior renovation, having seen pics of the very corroded state of the nosewheel bay when she was in Hangar 3 with 558 and 163 in 2016, I doubt if a further stay outside will worsen the existing damage from its previous 40 year stay outdoors by much at all.
    If this has spent any time outside, I do hope it had a canopy cover fitted! This received probably the last decent canopy in existence.

I'm gutted this Swift never made it to airworthiness. I had a good look at it at Hurn when Jet Heritage were being ripped off. The only issue I recall was with financing & the CAA & the engine.

yes but apart from that......
    Królewska Moc Powietrza nie jest lot cyrku.....

Although there were probably others, but when it was with Jet Heritage i thought the main problem with getting the Swift back in the air was a distinct lack of serviceable brakes?!

Rob

As I've heard it, the Swift had a lot of type-specific components which were very difficult to source for the airworthy restoration. F.7's were built in very small numbers and there can't have been many spares set aside for the fleet, such as it was. Add to that it used reheat, which is usually pretty unpopular with the CAA.

It's interesting to see how the tables have turned regards XF114 and WK275, it used to be '275's condition that drew comment.

To be fair(ish) to The Vulcan lot and Doncaster, WK275 looked far worse latterly while still in use to advertise Sheppard's Surplus; as it did for around fifty years or so. People seem keen to imagine that the Swift, Canberra and 558 already have some sort of advanced rot setting in, simply to advance their criticism of VTTS. Outdoor storage is obviously not the ideal, but WK275 is hardly unique in being an airframe restored to an impeccable standard and then simply left to the elements outdoors. I've not seen anybody criticise the decision to keep XM603 outside at Woodford. Something that big isn't going to stay that white for very long against the ravages of British weather!

Nice to see G-SWIF surface as it isn't very well documented online. Presumably the wings will arrive soon!

IIRC WK275 has a private owner, so if he/she was not happy with the storage at Doncaster they could move it elsewhere

The owners of XM603 are likely to be grateful for the land they have. if they could put her indoors they would. Pretty much everyone had expected the a/c to perish.

Thread Information