Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: 75 years ago tonight 16-17 May 1943

75 years ago tonight 16-17 May 1943

Hats off to one and all who had part in the Dam Raids no matter how small a part you took and to spare a thought for all the innocents caught up friend or foe.
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Absolutely agreed.
    Martin

A quiet thought tonight at 2128, also a thank you.

regards,
    jack...

Hi All,
    Both a memorable and sad memory for many RIP all who perished.

Geoff.

I shall be at work but will try to remember for a minute

Dad saw them on treetop-height cross country flights.

May they sit far above the salt in Valhalla.

Adrian
    "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Precision, timing and determination, everything missing from the dams Flypast today in memory of those brave people.

Remembering Astells crew, seconds from death at this precise moment all those years ago

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/...-unfolded.html

01:54 - Dinghy! They've got the Eder too!

Squadron Leader Henry George Melvin 'Dinghy' Young got his nickname, in one memorable account (or is it a line from the film?), because apparently 'he lands his plane in the sea and paddles home in his rubber boat'!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinghy_Young

Killed tonight, seventy-five years ago, three days before his twenty-eighth birthday.
    Last edited by Creaking Door; 17th May 2018 at 06:22.
    WA$.

"Precision, timing and determination, everything missing from the dams Flypast today in memory of those brave people."

As you seem able to point out what was missing yesterday from the current RAF (from the comfort of your own armchair?) I'm sure OC BBMF who has responsibility for his aircraft and his people in the same way as GG did 75 years ago would have found find your obvious flight planning and operational experience useful yesterday then.....

Lancaster flew over the Dams this morning with 'Johnny' Johnson on board.

https://www.facebook.com/BBMF.Offici...57090384345968

Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    DfG on Facebook

How fitting. one very happy man and well deserved.
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

https://studiegroepluchtoorlog.nl/mo...sugar-onthuld/

New monument revealed May 4th, for the crew of S-Sugar, by the son of P/O Burpee. Aircraft and crew lost today 75 years ago en route.

Video of PA474 at following link. Congratulations to all!

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/new...nt-dam-1576808

Agent kays

I wasn't referring to the Lanc, that was already down on the web as doubtful, simply the Tiffie.

Bethesda, North Wales, Burtonwood & Bromley, Kent
    "Proudly with high endeavour,
    you who are young forever,
    won the freedom of the skies,
    you shall never die"

At school in music lessons almost every week in the 60s we sang these words.

It has become very fashionable, and no doubt profitable, to take a second world war event and, in hindsight write a controversial articule/book which then gets them airtime. Obviously they have every right to do this and I fully support that right. What I find tasteless is the BBC choosing to broadcast a program last night , the 75th anniversary of the raid, airing such views. This was a time when family, friends, comrades and the public were remembering the sacrifice made by those who gave their lives as part of the fight for freedom. They did not question their orders but carried out the raid with daring bravery overcoming all obstacles to drive home the attack which was largely successful as a mission.

Shame on you BBC.

"They did not question their orders..."

I never like to see that as a justification for anything; it absolves far too many of the guilty!

I hope, internally at least, that the crews of 617 Squadron did question their orders before the operation seventy-five years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by ericmunk
    New monument revealed May 4th, for the crew of S-Sugar, by the son of P/O Burpee.
    This video is quite good:
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Precision, timing and determination, everything missing from the dams Flypast today in memory of those brave people.
    You've been (rightly...) taken to task on Pprune for your facetious comments regarding yesterdays flypasts.
    The Typhoon pilot couldn't get past a bank of cloud down to the ground 12 miles away.
    He called the flypast off, and in the process of diverting spotted a route through.
    Unfortunately some comms issues precluded a second shout that the flypast was back on.

I was under the impression the flypast was all about remembering the events of 75 years ago, not massaging the egos of a bunch of anoraks out to take a few snaps...

And as I pointed out I was simply conveying the comments from those around me. there were quite a few dissappointed veterans there, several of which were being interviewed, not simply anoraks, as a postscript, I do hope the old lady I helped to her feet is okay after her dogs pulled her over.

I was under the impression the flypast was all about remembering the events of 75 years ago, not massaging the egos of a bunch of anoraks out to take a few snaps...
    Then why advertise it... it could have been done as it was today, and those that would visit the memorials around the site as I and several others did, would have anyway, flypast or not. It does also begs the question, if you think everyone attending such things are aviation anoraks, then why the heck are signed up to here?

Last edited by TonyT; 17th May 2018 at 15:19.

What's wrong with aviation anoraks? I've been one for 65yrs, and enjoyed every minute... and those you mention at least made a effort and turned up.

regards,
    jack...

Just back home from my local Odeon cinema after watching 'The Dam Busters With Dan Snow' , the 75th Anniversary screening with a live link to the Royal Albert Hall .
    Good value for £10-50 with a 7:15 start and finish at 10:45 with the added advantage of Dan Snow being in London and not up here in Darlington ! Very enjoyable and quite a few people in to see it too .
    Last edited by David Thompson; 17th May 2018 at 23:31. Reason: Spelling !

It was on Film4 yesterday (4.10pm), could have watched it for free.

Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    DfG on Facebook

Was at the Albert Hall, awesome to see it on the big screen & even better having the place shake with the sounds of those Merlins.
    Now just need 50th anniversary of Battle of Britain given the same treatment.

Thread Information