Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Spitfire Instrument panel MK II questions

Spitfire Instrument panel MK II questions

I'm trying to finish off my MK II Spitfire instrument panel but could do with a little help from the forum.
    Nothing exciting just a few questions.
    I'm going to mount the double toggle switch unit for the magnetos from behind the panel. Question is -
    Do you still keep the original face plate from the unit and simply attach the whole thing using the four mounting holes. Its just that it seems a bit of a waste using the original plate with the lettering on it. The panel has lettering on it anyway. If you remove the original plate, the panel needs 2 extra holes drilled or the box section of the unit won't attach to the panel. Also the 4 larger mounting holes become redundant ???

What is the switch unit used for the landing lamps location which is to the right of the triple brake gauge ??

Also, do you mount the two dimmer switches at the bottom of the panel from behind or would you surface mount them ??
    Please see the attached photo of my panel to date as reference

Finally. Anyone got a reasonably priced triple brake gauge AHO 4040 for sale
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sunbury,Australia...just down from Murphy the wonder dog.
    The Mag switch is meant to be behind the panel. I also had the same experience as you, and found the toggles would not clear mounted from the back with the face fitted.

I cut a hole and fitted it from the front ! (I wish I had not , as it is not correct !)As you say holes in all the wrong locations. Anyone able to enlighten ?

The two way switch is 5C/623, you remove the brass top and the mount becomes obvious.

The Dimmer switches are mounted from the rear (There are ALWAYS exceptions.).

The Air pressure gauge is flush mounted.

A very slick looking panel you have there.

Kind Regards Mike

Thanks for asking that question FB, as I am working on my Mk II panel as well.
    Cheers
    Cees

Thank you for the reply
    I can only think of removing the faceplate and using the 2 screw holes used, to mount the box section to the panel. The 4 mounting holes which would have been used to mount the unit if fitted from the front will have to have 'dummy' screws inserted.
    Will have to see if I have a 5C/623 lying around

Have tried fitting a 5C/622 switch as I haven't got a 5C/623 unit. Once you unscrew the brass dome you are left with a threaded 'column' in to which the toggle sits. I assume the column shouldn't sit proud in the panel and the collar at the top of the column should just protrude slightly. If thats the case you still have to use spacers for the rest of the fitting at the rear unless the 5C/622 unit I'm using is different to the actual 5C/623. Hope this makes sense

The panel I'm using is a repro one which I sourced from this website www.spitfireparts.co.uk which is different to the other spitfire website.

Mike. Do you know when it became common practice to fitt the Mage switches from the front. I have the original panel from MJ730 which was a Spitfire LF.IXe Spitfire and that has the 4 large holes for front fitting.

Hi Flyingblind, spacers are required for the switch and the air pressure gauge.

As far as the front mount Mag goes, it appears in the Mk V Pilots notes onwards. (Again there maybe people who can let us know.)

Cheers Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The 622 and 623, if I recall correctly, different profiles. The 623 is a lot squatter, the 622 being the same size as the two position 551.

As to the Flap Warning Speed, the 160 is only correct after August '42 before that it should actually be "140".

Nice panel!
    In Memory of:
    Flt Lt Tony Hill who successfully photographed a small "Würzburg radar" at Bruneval. 5th Dec 1941

The Mag switch mounts behind the instrument board for the Spitfire I and II for definite, most Mk V's (probably) and at least some of the early Mk IX's (perhaps those built on Mk V "conversions" in process of manufacture).
    The early Mk V I've seen (built from a Spitfire II fuselage at factory) has the mags behind. The VII and VIII are ambiguous but the XVI seems to have had the mag mounted over the panel from inception.

Based on photos, pilots notes and the General Assembly Drawings for the panels. What happened in practice is often different!!
    In Memory of:
    Flt Lt Tony Hill who successfully photographed a small "Würzburg radar" at Bruneval. 5th Dec 1941

Is that your panel Mike? They look like stainless fasteners - is that right? If so can you say where you got them?

Cheers

Yes its my Mk I panel and it should have all stainless fastners, I am slowly exchanging my original ww2 brass fiitings, but the quality DOES vary.

There are people/ companies , selling them on ebay, and on the net, you just need to know sizes and lengths.

I bought some 4BA x 1 3/4" inch Bolts to mount the dimmers, to find that my repro panel has 4BA holes drilled...but the dimmers are 6BA holes. So it helps to check.....

Cheers Mike

PS Tony Hill , has on Excellent site for early Spitfire informaton and restoration.

Is it possible to see the whole panel Mike? I am putting a Spitfire I panel together so am very interested. Is yours painted or anodised? How did you go about the lettering?

Regards
    Elliott

Hi Elliott, I bought my panel ex England about 18 years ago, its painted black and not totally correct and modified by me.

With the rebuilds of the various flying Mk1s, more accurate information became available ( Dont mention the flap gauge!) I would love to get an anodised one....

The lettering was done by chap I worked with after I enlarged the plans to full size and he used a machine that engraved post boxes and alike .

I dont have a updated photo, will try and get one tomorrow morning

Kind Regards Mike

Thread Information