Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Ridicilous trolling or real?

Talking Ridicilous trolling or real?

Spotted this on the news thread and it makes me think someone missed their april fools deadline by 6 weeks

The thought did cross my mind but there is also a circumstance why it might be for real.

When aerospace companies recruit new graduate engineers one thing they often do to get them used to company processes and design projects is to give them a 'Blue sky thinking' project. So in this case take the B-1B and put together a concept for mounting a gun system onto it, that way the new engineers can go through the process of a design project within the company organisation. There is a secondary benefit that on occasion that the concepts developed could have secondary applications that could be applied to other projects that could come along. For example lets say the USAF comes to Boeing and asks them to mount some special recognisance antenna system that is shock resistant and deployable out of the B-1B bomb bay, the work done on this gun system mount could be adaptable to that requirement. To that end it makes sense for the company to Patent any ideas that their engineers come up with even if it is a paper exercise.
    Because sometimes in life we need a bit of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXNAp3mKepc

Spotted this on the news thread and it makes me think someone missed their april fools deadline by 6 weeks
    When I first saw your post the first thing to flash in my mind was the Tupolev Tu-2Sh - 88 PPSh-41 submachine guns firing out of the bomb bay:

Name:  mistragiraffe.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  130.0 KB

@fedaykin, that makes sense really. Thanks for that

@Levsha, how much fun would that be? It's like a meat grinder with wings on. Wonder why it didn't catch on ;-)

Man hours even in Stalinist Soviet Union were not infinite. I cannot imagine the reload time. And think how vulnerable you'd be with trying to line up on targets.
    Go Huskers!

And think how vulnerable you'd be with trying to line up on targets.
    Yeah and at very low altitude too! I bet running in straight and level at 50m above the ground made the chance of catching that golden BB rather uncomfortably large!

Any that's the story behind why cluster bombs were invented.

And Vulcan cannon.

I vote troll.

The B-36 had retractable gun turrets an it was a maintenance nightmare. And the B-36 was slow and didn't have the airflow and acoustics problems a fast jet has.

If it's genuine then I'd suggest it has more to do with the carriage, deployment and aiming systems than the weapon itself as it's drawn. As has ben suggested above it cold be for some form of retractable recon unit or thinking further ahead it could easily be a development "Turret"for an air-to-ground directed energy (laser) type weapon

Thread Information