Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Dambuster's artifacts on the market

Dambuster's artifacts on the market

A friend of mine says he has been offered Guy Gibson's mess tankard/mug - apparently with his name on it. He then went on to tell me he has also been offered Guy Gibson's dogs bowl, which apparently has the dogs name on it too. This made my antennae twitch somewhat, but he is adamant these are genuine items coming from a reputable source.

He told me they originated from the defunct Dambuster's Museum at RAF Scampton.

Does anyone have a view on this, or perhaps saw the above artifacts in the museum? I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole.

Sounds like the dealer who fleeced a Dambuster enthusiast for many thousands and was taken to court. The Scampton museum was an endless source of original artefacts for him, most, helpfully, with stores labels. I'm sure it has been discussed on here recently. You were entirely right, Elliott!

I concur. The smell of BS is overwhelming.

Anon.

Don't worry. I have a container load of each coming into Felixstowe next week. How many does your friend want, Whitley_Project? I can offer him an attractive price for a bulk purchase!

^

Amateur!!!

I have for sale the actual bomb that destroyed the Mohne Dam. It comes with Guy Gibson's actual signature and a damp stain from where his dog blessed it before take off.

Malcolm, you Amateur!
    I have the original Mohne Dam!
    : )
    Ian
    Last edited by Ian Hunt; 13th May 2018 at 21:33.

I've got a dog who's an exact replica of "N".
    Another friend says his is a relation.....
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

I've got some genuine dambusters water from the Mohne dam, just let me know how much you want and I will fill some bottles for you, Fifty quid a pop and a bargain, I've even cleaned it and added a dash of chlorine and some fluorine to it

Last edited by TonyT; 13th May 2018 at 01:08.

Does anyone have any more information on the old Dambusters Museum? When did it close, was there a curator and is he still around?

Woof

There wasn't a dambusters museum at Scampton, when I was stationed there, 1978 to 1982, or in 1968 to 1970 (my Dad was stationed there), or in 1985 when I was there on my promotion course.

cabbage

As far as I'm aware the Scampton Heritage Centre is still open and here is a recent web listing for them https://www.visitlincoln.com/things-to-do/raf-scampton

Where the 'aretfacts' have come from who knows. I understand that there were some items displayed at the 'Dambusters Inn' (?) public house in Scampton village, which I believe did close and I heard rumours that some items may have gone missing. I also understand that this pub has since re-opened under different tenancy arrangements.

Another 'Dambusters' location that has also closed is the Derwent Dam Museum in Derbyshire; I am aware that NAM has recently recovered some items that it had on loan to this particular site.

I hope this information might assist!
    Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
    Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Thread Information