Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AVRO hangars for sale

AVRO hangars for sale

If the lottery cooperates, that's my new shed.
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

We actually had Avro hangers on the 146/RJ flightdeck.

Are these sheds not hangArs?

What a nice find.

That would look great at Old Warden, or Brooklands.

It would have looked even nicer at Woodford with the aviation collection inside it.
    Whilst I am sure the old firestation building is very useful having a restored, functioning, period building with a known site history would be far more sensible.
    I assume there is still a chance that the Aviation collection at Woodford could purchase the hangar, and pay to have it redelivered back to Manchester.

We actually had Avro hangers on the 146/RJ flightdeck.

Are these sheds not hangArs?
    Depends on whether you should have got your coat. Or in 2000-ese, "...should of got you're coat". I'd put an apostrophe in there but can't find an unsuitable place.

Would be right at home at East Kirkby...They could use it for their vehicles or as a workshop for aircraft parts etc.
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

I'm always entertained by forum members who seem to only post when the word 'hangar' is misspelled. It is like they receive a special signal or something.

They were at Woodford, until last year.

They were purchased by, or gifted to, someone who came and took them away. What a shame he/she has to try and turn them into a profit so soon. I wonder if, had the Avro Heritage people known they were going to be auctioned off, they would have let someone else have them instead - or was it all part of the plan?

Anon.

I prefer "Flight Sheds"...which has the DIY feel of early aviation, and the place for tinkering...

Whilst it would be great if these ended up back at Woodford the converted firestation there is really impressive, they've done a really good job with it.

Here's hoping we see those hangars somewhere aviation related.

East Kirkby, Brooklands, Duxford, Stow Maries, Old Warden...

I saw a comment by an official of Stowe Maries that they're getting new hangars. That's not to say that these are the ones.

That was my only criticism of Stowe Maries, the current hangars look out of place.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Do you have pictures of Stowe Maries? I really need to visit.
    pb::

Sorry, None that do the place justice. I limited my photos to a couple of the flying aircraft and a Pup replica.

You might try their website or even places like Trip Advisor.

I was very impressed with the buildings and displays. Well dressed and excellent lifelike mannequins are placed in typical situations in authenticity equipped rooms with lights and conversational recordings that come on when you enter. As an example, they have a squadron photo of the pilots. One pilot had the squadron mascot dog at his feet. Taking that as a clue, they have a mannequin that looks just like him in a typical pilot's accommodation. As an animal lover, they have a lifelike stuffed cat resting on his bed.
    The ops room is likewise staffed and furnished.

Other displays discuss the air war and the air defense of Britain.

An aviation museum that has broad appeal.
    Last edited by J Boyle; 12th May 2018 at 16:10.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Although not Hangars, some of the other airfield buildings that have survived and are probably being restored. These images were taken three or four years ago and may have changed considerably since taken.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_185.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	338.5 KB 
ID:	260539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_191.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	339.7 KB 
ID:	260540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_192.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	324.9 KB 
ID:	260541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_193.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	260542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_197.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	343.0 KB 
ID:	260543  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_203.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	313.7 KB 
ID:	260544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_229.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	349.3 KB 
ID:	260545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_238.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	347.0 KB 
ID:	260546  
    Hertfordshire Airfields Memorial Group
    http://hamg.co.uk

Hunsdon, Sawbridgeworth and Matching Green airfields..
    http://www.wartime-airfields.com

Ahem! To return to the original thread; the Avro hangars, or sheds, were at Woodford until last year. It would be nice, but they're not likely to be going back there any time soon.

Anon.

Five days to the auction & no bids, it doesn't look like they're going any place yet. At least the building is safe inside the Conex & not going to be bulldozed flat.

An ideal location would be on the site of the blown up ones at Duxford. try telling that to the goons who think that an empty airfield is a good idea, and that wish to bulldoze the Land Warfare Hall!
    pb::

I don’t think Duxford would be ideal at all. These are not from a inter-war / WW2 airfield and would be quite out of place there. Somewhere like OW would be far better.

It would be appropriate if the hangars found a home at Barton and got used (again) by the Lancashire Aero Club.

Apparently they were never used as hangars. The doors only open to half-span which is a bit daft if you're trying to put an aircraft inside.

Not a problem for dh60 Moths and similar vintage aircraft with wing fold, and you've obviously never manhandled a glider out of a hangar.

The only gliders I've manhandled were constructed from paper & flown across classrooms when the teacher wasn't looking. How many gliders & Moths did Avro produce?

Bethesda, North Wales, Burtonwood & Bromley, Kent
    Woodford was another item on my bucket list that fell through the hole in my bucket before I got there!

I have done some research on the early airfield in connection with the thread about the Tudor crash which took the lives of so many important people in Avro.

I have read elsewhere that when Avro bought the farm in 1924, on which the airfield was to be situated, it brought one of the hangers from Alexander(sic) Park and the "hanger" in question was not it and no such hanger was in place in 1932. I would suggest that, probably, the only connection this hanger has with Avro is that it was on an Avro airfield and somebody painted Avro on it. As already stated the hanger is small and smaller than any other hanger I have seen Avro using. Again as already stated I would suggest that this hanger was used by club fliers as a work shop. Obviously The Lancashire Aero Club comes to mind but possible Avro ran a flying club here also.

The Lancashire Aero Club no longer operates from Barton, but from a controversial strip at Kenyon Hall Farm.

I will post further evidence to support my conclusions and would be very happy to be put right if anything I have stated is wrong.
    I had just got round to seeing the glass as half full instead of half empty, when some sod came and drank it......

There are some interesting photos of Woodford airfield in 1927 and 1932 to be found on the 'Britain from above' website with the buildings in question visible (they are not the large hangar).
    https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW038561

Turns out the vertical RSJ's were embedded in the concrete & gas-axed off, so will have to have plates welded to the bottom & bolted to a new slab.

Starting with Alexandra Park airfield. This airfield was not actually in the park of that name but located a little to the south in Hough End fields. The hangars and buildings were located in the area which carries the label "The Hough End Centre". Note on the present map the distinctive nature of the "Southern Cemetery" to the south of the airfield.

ALEXANDRA PARK AIRFIELD LOCATION 2018
    Image Google maps.

From Britain from Above EPW017389 (part of) dated 1927.

ALEXANDRA PARK AIRFIELD OLD MARK UP

Now taking a closer look at the Belfast Truss hangars at Alaxandra Park.

Alexandra_Park_Aerodrome_1923

ALEXANDRA PARK AERODROME

In these and other pictures there is no sign of the "Avro Hangers". By 1930 all airfield buildings had been cleared and and the site used for the Royal Lancashire Agricultural Show.

EPW032558 MARK UP 1930
    I had just got round to seeing the glass as half full instead of half empty, when some sod came and drank it......

Two days to go & still no one willing to post the £70,000 minimum bid. I think they're going to have to be a lot more realistic about a 40ft Conex full of scrap metal

That's almost $95,000. I can buy five new ones that size here for the same price...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-Build...4383.l4275.c10

or one 5x bigger.
    Last edited by ZRX61; 16th May 2018 at 21:34.

With the requirement for the airfield at Alexandra Park to be closed and the buildings to be removed, Avro sought a new location for an airfield and bought New Hall Farm in 1924.

The farm looked like this in 1907.

NEW HALL FARM 1907 OS XXVIII.NE. MU
    Image via National Library of Scotland.

Note the existing farm building A and the location point B.

I understand that the first hangers were Bessonneau hangars, does the following image taken in 1925 show such a hangar?

WOODFORD SEP 1925 INAUGURATION LAC

Yes indeed the Britain from Above does have many good views of Woodford with the latest pictures dated 1932.

EPW038559

In this view is a single Belfast hangar did this come from Alexandra Park?

However, the hangar for sale was not built in 1932 and does therefore not appear in any pictures of that date.

What has been mistaken for the hangars is in fact a wall-less barn! as seen below top left of picture.

first air pageant woodford SEP 1926

In the following picture taken in 1932 the barn is labelled and the location for the sale hangars is empty.

JUN 1932 EPW038560 MU

Thread Information