Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AVRO hangars for sale

It appears that any provenance is rapidly evaporating. Maybe Avro Heritage knew it was just some old shed that had the Avro logo painted on the front for aesthetic reasons.
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Bethesda, North Wales, Burtonwood & Bromley, Kent
    A Flight article states that Roe actually purchased 3 of the hangars at Alexandra Park. Clearly the single hangar, D, in the images so far is identical to those at Alexandra Park so it would seem highly likely that that is the case.

The 1938 OS map shows New Hall Farm, now with all the hangars in area D which are referred to as the Flight Hangars. My reference point B right at the end of the track at the entrance to the farm "yard" as shown on previous maps. The hay barn has gone and now we see a building which I have labelled "C". This building consisted of the "sale" hangar at the south-eastern end and then a series of "sheds".

NEW HALL FARM 1938 OS XXVIII.NE MU

So the map is 1938 so the "C" buildings were erected some time between 1932 and 1938.

These buildings appear in a photograph IWM APT 16382B of the Tudor IV taken in November 1947.

IWM APT 16382B WOODFORD NOV 47 MU

I have labelled some paintwork as "camouflage" however, with second thoughts perhaps dark distinctive paintwork would have been better.

The Athenas in the next picture date it circa 1948-50 and in the background is the "sale" hangar together with the other sheds.

AVRO 701 ATHENA WOODFORD C1948-50 MU

Note that there is no sign writing on the "sale" hangars.

What I find strange about the sign writing is that it is not in any recognisable "Avro" format.

Take a look on this site of a picture taken in 1996 where the writing looks fairly new. Read the un-referenced text. Is this how legends are born?

http://www.edendale.co.uk/ANW/WFD.G2.5.html

And here http://www.ipernity.com/doc/302581/37892804

My conclusions are "let the buyer beware".

I have found no evidence that the "sale" hangar was at Alexandra Park.
    The "sale" hanger did not appear on site until some time between 1932 and 1938 so at least 8 years after Avro set up shop here.
    The "sale" hanger together with the other sheds, originally with it, look more like stores or workshops or possible connected with a flying club. The Lancashire Aero Club's website claims that it had to move out of Woodford at the start of WWII so would have been on site when the "sale" hangar and other sheds were erected.

This from the Avro Heritage Museum website. " The Lancashire Aero Club also used the aerodrome briefly in the 1920s until moving to the new Barton Aerodrome and used a converted farm building as a club house and a "Dutch barn" style steel-framed hangar built for A V Roe around 1927."

http://avroheritagemuseum.co.uk/avro...ites/woodford/
    I had just got round to seeing the glass as half full instead of half empty, when some sod came and drank it......

Some daft sod has apparently paid £100,000 for it.
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Bethesda, North Wales, Burtonwood & Bromley, Kent
    You would have thought that if you had £100K to blow on a rust hacked down shed that you would have a few quid to pay somebody to look at the provenance. All the information I have gathered is readily available via Google.

Presumably there was more than one bidder to reach £100K and as somebody has already said you could build a replica for a fraction of the price paid so presumably they feel that it has heritage value.

Let's hope we get to find who the purchaser is.
    I had just got round to seeing the glass as half full instead of half empty, when some sod came and drank it......

They weren't showing any bids at all when I hit the rack last night (about 8am UK time). Checked it when I got up this morning & it was sold.

At least with a sale price of 100K we can safely assume that it won't be weighed for $150/ton as scrap. It all fit inside a 40ft conex so I'm guessing no more than 20 tons.

Thread Information