Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RAF Celebrate The Anniversary Of Pacman

@anneorac,

The Spectrum badge did cross my mind too.

@scotavia,
    I think these PR "gurus" try to be as esoteric as possible with their output, then wrap it is some trendy hipster buzzwords to sell it. I have to wonder how much taxpayers money was spent on this...
    Last edited by Bob; 12th April 2018 at 10:48.
    Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Heres the link to the designers and comment by a senior RAF bod who in my mind was aware how much had been spent and sought to justify the result with effusive praise...
    http://www.transformmagazine.net/art...rand-campaign/

It is a good plan never to criticise a designer without full insight. Forty-odd years in marketing communications have taught me that there are two things invariably responsible for weird and unfathomable logos and other design items

1) Client brief
    2) Client approval process

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

" The obscurity of its design,
    Has proved to be rather malign,
    The goal was centennial.
    The targets millennials,
    All consumed by stupidty condign!"

As a practicing Graphic Designer and occasional Design Lecturer my initial reaction is what the utter *******...? However closer examination reveals a deeper meaning...

The colours are the key... the sand and blue represent the founding constituents of the RAF, the RFC and the RNAS... which blend together into the green of the RAF as we know it... symbolised by the stylised aircraft in the form of triangle...

Simples...!

Although as Maple 01s friend suggests earlier in the thread, any design that requires forensic examination to decipher the meaning is quite frankly bad design...

Zeb
    Last edited by Zebedee; 12th April 2018 at 13:04.
    "I wish Bernard was here"
    "British Rocket Group has its own problems..."

I followed Scotavia's link (Post 32). Quote: In its unique approach to branding, Coley Porter Bell also successfully merges science and design. Combining findings taken from neuroscience-oriented research with a heritage-led creative approach, the RAF spirit of persistence and triumph in the face of adversity remains front and centre of the brand campaign.
    Ignoring "unique approach", "front and centre" and the general word-jungle, I was struck to learn that this design has something to do with "neuroscience". Having been a neuroscientist all my career, I wonder where the link is? Maybe my brain is too out of touch with the modern approach, but I don't see it.

Also, doesn't "air commodore Nigel Bradshaw" deserve some capitals for his rank? This in a piece claiming to honour the RAF.
    Laurence

I had assumed the colours were taken from this, but as yet can not fathom an RAF connection! ......
    Name:  175px-Royal_Airforce_Badge.png
Views: 532
Size:  43.8 KB

In trying to find an email to ask Media Ops WTH this is all about I was shocked to see what looks like an updated Propagandakompanie style operation being run to 'get the message out' - ah well..... got to move with the times I suppose

No doubt we 'service end-user's requirements with definite targeting operations solutions' now

I'm off to leaver some synergies

Though in my day 'running it up the flag pole and seeing who salutes it' was a job for the Orderly Officer and Cpl
    Last edited by Maple 01; 12th April 2018 at 17:20.
    Królewska Moc Powietrza nie jest lot cyrku.....

"Is it something to do with camping?" was the reply of one person shown this mess....

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

The story of the Emperor's New Clothes springs to mind.

HP111 said, "The story of the Emperor's New Clothes springs to mind. "

I quite agree. Have you watched 'Masterchef' lately? A few nights ago we had Greg and John fawning over some plate of garbage, which was basically something the size of an iced gem (remember those?), placed on a load of piranha heads (I'm not kidding). Another effort saw a similar pile of craplets placed on a bed of seashells. The day before it was a pile of pebbles. None of these (piranhas, pebbles, shells) could be eaten by the way. Of course the dreary duo had to describe this lot and the best - and most commonly-used - term they were able to summon seemed to be 'clever'. Ah yes - I love a clever pizza, me. And isn't clever food REALLY tasty!!????

Emperor's New Clothes again. Of course you can't criticise, because you'll be labelled a dinosaur or accused of 'not getting it'.

Does Private Eye still have Pseud's Corner?

Anyhow I'm off for a clever lunch now and on the way I think I'll re-brand the NHS. I was considering a Nike swoosh for the ambulances and maybe also remove those noisy sirens while I'm at it. Can't think of a name yet, but The Undead seems to cover a sense of hope and respect the heritage, while appealing to Millenials.

Is "millenials" even a word?

Etc etc etc.

I like that !

Confession. Can anyone tell me what 'Pacman' means ? My wife says that she has heard of PacaMac or PakaMac as have I, meaning a waterproof garment shaped like a black bin liner.

Could this be a new and fashionable addition to the RAF wardrobe ?

It was an early computer game John where the main character that ran around a maze eating dots and various other point generating objects while being chased by others that would kill him.

This was the pacman and you can see three in the new logo.

https://mentalitch.com/history-of-pac-man/

Thanks Tony,

I'll wipe the floor with 'em at the next pub quiz !

Close to the last operational 11 Grp 'B of B' airfield
    Also, doesn't "air commodore Nigel Bradshaw" deserve some capitals for his rank?
    If he's responsible for signing off this crap, what he really deserves is being stripped of his bloody rank......
    I was with it all the way until letting the brakes off..........

Got another reply from Hendon today.....she's a bit grumpy

"As mentioned in my first email, the green yellow and blue logo is the dynamic roundel, which is being used by all RAF Charities to mark RAF100, following the RAF’s brand guidelines.

If you have any further questions about the branding of RAF100 you should contact the RAF’s Marketing department directly."

In other words, "I don't know, and don't care, go away and bother someone else"

I have contacted them directly - the silence is deafening.....

Meanwhile a couple of ex-RAF forums I belong to have everyone asking WTF? A serving officer is going to have a word with Media Ops - don't expect anything good. I mean, OK, it's to celibate (somehow) the RAF, but how? What's the connection? What's wrong with Red, white and blue? I feel a FOI coming on....

Maybe she's grumpy because you ignored the information in her first reply.

The item in question is not something that the RAF Museum came up with so why ask them?
    pb::

Maybe she's grumpy because you ignored the information in her first reply.
    She sent a PR puff about the RAF100 logo, not the green/yellow monstrosity, but maybe it's SOP to answer the question you would like to have been asked rather than the one you were actually asked?

The item in question is not something that the RAF Museum came up with so why ask them?
    They are the ones selling it, you'd sell something you had no idea about? Here's some harmless white power for you to pass out......

Hope this helps white knight

Well I must apologise prior to this rant but here goes.....

The RAF roundel was in its first inception red white and blue, is this not what we are celebrating?, no matter weather it is 50, 100 or 150 years it will still be, red white and blue, the history of those colours are intrinsically taught within the service and are instantly recognisable to the public eye, no explanation required.

This change adaption of colours and meaning is nothing but a management excersize and a justification of some ones salary/expenses and is a cost to the tax payer no matter which way you slice it.

A sad mater of fact is that there was some consternation when the Red Arrows changed their logo to what was perceived as a corporate style affair but now is accepted as the norm by the younger generation, much the same as will happen here, tradition, history, remembrance and heritage are being slowly erased in place of being a corporate business, such a crying shame if you ask me.

John.
    ON SUN TIPPED WINGS THEY LOVED TO FLY INTO THE WIDE UNMEASURED SKY

http://www.lightnings.org.uk/

"Good luck Mr Gorsky!".

Second thread in weeks where folk are bitching about RAFM raising cash for RAF charities. This is the RAF 100 logo. You could just buy this from the same shop. Profits go to RAF charities......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAF100+logo.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	260005

So many marketing and brand strategists and experts on this forum......

My thoughts are (it's simple really) that this brand and logo push isn't for the people on this forum (shock!!! they don't exists just to please us enthusiasts) we all know the RAF, the roundel, what it means, why it is as it is etc......

But for kids and school visiting etc. who are learning and see a strong logo, a brand that catches their eye, and they like it, and they buy it, well what's not to applaud?

I'm sure the RAF Museum, and others, would like to tap into the clear passion you have for their work and promoting the cause and would welcome you all as volunteers given your strength of opinion and expertise in the field.......

The RAF is not a product which you HAVE to purchase. Therefore there really is no pressure to re brand . This costly brand affair was pointless, especially as it did involve an outside agency. Could have been done by a few people over a few meetings using the roundel and the 100 years wording.....

That sounds far too simple and straight forward.......!!! Besides which, an advertising agency would be deprived of its (excessive??) fee....
    Last edited by Planemike; 17th April 2018 at 12:11.

The RAF is not a product which you HAVE to purchase. Therefore there really is no pressure to re brand . This costly brand affair was pointless, especially as it did involve an outside agency. Could have been done by a few people over a few meetings using the roundel and the 100 years wording.....

Brands don't have to be purchased/available for sale, otherwise why have the Red Arrows? surely it's about portraying an image, an identity which surely as the armed forces grow ever smaller, a way to connect with the general public is more and more needed?

As you say, fag packet and a few meetings after a beer lunch and we'd be fine...... it really is that easy.....

An image? as a logo For the armed forces? Not needed when you have so many photos around generated by a well trained practiced team of services photographers who have for many years set a high standard with portayals of the people and equipment in role and helping with disaster relief plus sport.

How about showing some respect for those who served? As one who did so for 25% of the RAF's existence (now THAT makes me feel old!) I feel qualified to have an input. This is nothing but yet another unimaginative, lame 'branding' exercise done by someone who is no doubt chasing smarts but has no idea of the heritage behind the 'product' they are selling. It's probably why the Co-Op has gone back to its '60s/70s logo. For my 1/4 penn'orth I say it means nothing to me.

And yes the RAF Museum does need to explain itself - it has a say on what it does and doesn't sell, and I'd have expected someone there to have made the decision not to put this garbage on the shelves.

In the meantime there will be many good and great things to celebrate this year, done by people who understand. I shall be attempting to make the most of those and try to ignore the corporate BS. It will be the former that will remain in most folks' memoreies rather than the latter.

As I understand it, the design work was done for free by the agency - Apparently they then showed the logo to a focus group of their target audience who liked it. BUT, and this is the problem, they didn't like it AND connect it to the RAF, they just liked the design - as a design. Without that connection, explanation and meaning it could be the new logo for Group 4 security
    Last edited by Maple 01; 17th April 2018 at 19:18.

Quote Originally Posted by scotavia

An image? as a logo For the armed forces?
    Can we just remain clear that we aren't discussing a logo for the armed forces, we have a logo supposedly to stand for the centenary and which will die at the end of the year?

That doesn't make it any less inappropriate, but the thread has wandered off into rant from people who just don't like design and in some cases think they could do better.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Just to clarify - the complaints (at least from me) are not about the 1/4 roundel and RAF100 on a red background - those antecedents are clear.

It is about the yellow/turquoise/dark blue "Pacman" - it bears no relationship to the branch of the services in which I served. I see absolutely nothing in this design that symbolises the RAF100 mantra of "Commemorate, Celebrate, Inspire".

But then, IMHO, "Creative Poo" don't really give a toss as long as their 'focus' group say that's a 'sick' logo...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Quote: "That doesn't make it any less inappropriate, but the thread has wandered off into rant from people who just don't like design and in some cases think they could do better."

That's your opinion, but I don't think it's the case. We understand what it is meant to represent but disapprove of the daft justifications made for it. Instead of "...don't like design" I guess you meant "...don't like THIS design" or maybe, "...don't like lazy, unimaginative 'design'."

Wish we had a designer do a decent quote function on here too: most of us seem to end up copying and pasting. Same as a lot of design in fact.

Thread Information