Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: East Yorkshire Beach Finds, 21/03/2018; any clues chaps?

East Yorkshire Beach Finds, 21/03/2018; any clues chaps?

After a bonus half day off work came my way today, I decided to take a walk on the beach at Hornsea to see if anything 'interesting' had been washed up by the recent severe high tides and rough seas. This has been a fairly fruitful hunting ground previously for me which, given the wartime history of the area and the North Sea, is little surprise.
    I have to say little in the way of possible aircraft parts was evident; the beach is largely covered with the remains of literally thousands of lobster, crab, fish, octopus, and even the odd bird, porpoise and seal which succumbed to the weather. I did come across a couple of bits of aluminium aircraft skin; I intended to gather these on my return trip but they had been spirited away by the time I came back.
    In amongst the weed and other debris there were many blue practice rocket tails, legacy I assume of the former RAF Cowden range just down the coast. I did find the base of what looked like a valve or plug, whether or not this is aircraft I couldn't say!
    valve
    I also came across another bit of aluminium; I didn't retrieve this though as it could frankly have been off anything...
    20180321_140431

20180321_140437
    But one piece I did retrieve, was this, as I am pretty sure it is indeed aircraft in origin. But what...?
    20180321_144219

20180321_144229

20180321_144258
    I have given it an initial clean up, the only identifying marks I have found so far are these on the nuts holding the plate to the tube.
    20180321_144326
    H W? M H?
    The tube section is 2ft10 long, and 3 inches diameter if that helps. Over to you chaps!
    Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

Nobody? A Merlin XX engine mount has been suggested...

The pluggy thing looks very much like television

Ah! AN identification! Put it up for sale on ebay with proven identity.

Yes, I've seen a plug like that on aero stuff, Graham. I can't recall where but it is for, literally, plugging a flexible cable in to something rather than it being an installation fixed equipment plug. I have one somewhere. I bet Air Ministry will know of it.

The tube is too big for engine bearers - and anyway, they are made of steel, not ally. It looks Wellington to me. Just a hunch.

Anon.

I thought Wellington too Mike

Completely off-topic, but thanks for prompting me to try out the Flickr embed options, which I didn't realise worked on any forums that I use.

No problem Errol! I had to convert to Flickr after the photobucket "pay or we hold your photos to ransom" debacle. I really can't grumble!

Cheers for the answers so far. So, the consensus is Wimpy, which I can go with. Now we just need a Wimpy expert to come along and tell us what bit!

*edit, and no once its sussed out I won't be ebaying it. It'll either be kept by myself or found a suitable home. It's highly likely that while part of the aircraft in question has survived, the crew did not. Trying to profit from that would just be plain wrong; I know if parts of the Lanc my Great Uncle and his crew were killed in appeared on ebay I would be less than happy to say the least.
    Last edited by Blue_2; 22nd March 2018 at 07:24.

I had a spare half hour this morning, so I thought I would take a look over the random bit of metalwork I found yesterday to see if I could see any part numbers. A long, long shot after decades in the North Sea, but...
    20180322_081343
    Are those digits I see?
    After carefully removing the marine growth covering/protecting the area, this was a most pleasant surprise...
    20180322_082131

20180322_083033
    It appears to read:

5 2 42(assuming construction date) P-4(also possibly a B or R; difficult to say)

GR 30626

So, over to the numbers gurus. Any ideas chaps?

Could be Hampden Graham. Both the 52 and GR suggest this. A HP stamp in a circle will confirm
    Last edited by Whitley_Project; 22nd March 2018 at 13:14.

I hadn't considered Hampden...

Hi

The 'plug' looks like the base of a CRT given the width of the guide at the centre. Valves usually have a smaller version. If the base is over 2ins wide then it's very likely a CRT base. These bases were also used as plugs too. The answer would lie on the other side of the item. If it has single, stiff wires in the pins and glass with cement it's most likely a valve/crt, if it were a connector then the wires would most likely be multi stranded and possibly covered in an insulator.

Not rare - pic of the other side and dimensions would confirm - any writing on it?

Cheers
    James
    Last edited by jamesinnewcastl; 22nd March 2018 at 16:16.

Quick, get the letter stamps out Blue_2 :-)

Anon.

5242 B 4 is a Hampden centre section main spar tube, the GR number denotes that the centre section was made by English Electric at Preston, there might be an EEP inspection stamp as well.
    BOOMPS A DAISY, ITS ENOUGH TO MAKE YOU WEEP.

Many thanks for that Hampden Project. After being lucky enough to get a good look round the East Kirkby Hampden at the bonfire night do last year, that was going to be my next port of call!

Hope you don't mind me posting this Blue_2 but as we have a Hampden expert around I wondered what we think of this piece? It has a HP stamp - the prefix is hard to make out on the photo but in the right light looks like 52 followed by 432C25 and some other letters that I cant make out. So the number is 52432 C 25.

My money is on Hampden. There is earth brown paint, overpainted black.

IMG_8415[1] by Elliott Smock, on Flickr

IMG_8417[1] by Elliott Smock, on Flickr

Yes it is a bomb door hinge bracket, hence it been overpainted black. It is one of the two centre brackets, the broken off end fits to the hinge in the bomb bay, the edge nearest the large lightning hole fits to the door.
    BOOMPS A DAISY, ITS ENOUGH TO MAKE YOU WEEP.

Thanks for confirming Hampden Project

Not at all WP; interesting to see what comes to light! Off for a walk on the beach again tomorrow. See if anything else chooses to be found...

Regarding the plug/valve/CRT base, it's only 1 1/4 inches diameter...

Thread Information