Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Wellington serial question

Wellington serial question

I wonder if a kind soul could assist?

Looking into an aircraft loss in 1942 of an OTU Wellington, apparently a Mk !c. The recording of the possible serial in various contemporary documents is all over the shop and the paper trail doesn't quite add up. Unfortunately, I haven't a list of Wellington production batches and serials, but I need to establish if the following two are actually Wellington serials and not typos (then it's off for the Movement Cards...)

R1839
    Z1839

I suspect that at least one of them isn't a Wellington but could well be wrong.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited to apologise for typo in title!

R1839 Miles M-14A Magister

Z1839 Fairey Firefly I
    WA$.

What was the date of the loss?

Ahh perfect, thank you very much gentlemen.

It was a loss from a Bullseye exercise from 26 OTU on 8th October 1942. The ORB records the serial as R1839. R1389 IS a Wellington IC, the movement card of which shows it attached to 16 OCU and its arrival on 19th September is noted in their ORB and also its loss on 8-9th October.

I can only assume that either it was a borrowed aircraft for some reason (not too far from Wing to Upper Heyford after all) or it was transferred and not recorded as the 16 OTU ORB does make a point of their conversion to Mk IIIs at the time and their eagerness to dispose of their remaining Mk ICs.

In this thread here is your answer which I found using google search " 1839 Wellington" try google first it is easy to try different combinations....

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...er-8-to-9-1942

Thank you would have been nice.....

Thank you for pointing me towards the RAF Commands thread which hadn't been flagged in the Google searches I had carried out at Kew with the other serials.

Please understand that many of us that view and use the forum are infrequent viewers so 24 hours isn't an unreasonable delay.

Ok thanks Zidante.

Thread Information