Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Medical self declaration

Medical self declaration

News just out that EASA LAPL's and PPL's will not any longer need a Class 2. They can now self declare their medical.

I believe the U.S. has had something similar for awhile.
    I wonder how it's worked out?
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Not a subject I have any knowledge of, but couldn't insurance companies demand a medical. ?
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Not for a non-commercial pilot. They might ask a question about a heart condition or medication use, and leave it at that.
    An analogy would be with an auto driver. Has your car insurance firm ever asked you to take a medical exam?
    It's a different issue if you're driving a large commercial truck or bus.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Although...... "..You must tell DVLA about a health or medical condition that could affect your driving. You'll need to enter details about your current driving licence and your condition. You might also need to give your GP's name and address..."

Doesn't the same (or similar) apply to a flying licence ?
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Yes Alan it does.

The CAA ask you to declare your health state. If you suffer any of the ailments listed then you must declare such. The Self Declaration is based upon the medical requirements for maintaining a driving licence to either a non professional (most of us) or, a professional (HGV, some of us) standard.

Thankfully, I no longer have to spend two or three hundred pounds on obtaining a Class 2 medical. The former GP derived self declaration was charged at around £15 to £25. That system was then superseded by a CAA self declaration which is the system now operating and which costs nothing.

I think that this system has been of great benefit to GA and redounds to the CAAs credit. They surely got this evidence based medical declaration correct.

Thanks for the explanation John.

Thread Information