Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Meteor "Queenie" going -poss flying March 19th

Meteor "Queenie" going -poss flying March 19th

https://www.facebook.com/groups/glostermeteor/?fref=nf
    Posted on the Facebook page incase you don't do Facebook
    "Mervin Wallace
    4 hrs
    “FAREWELL TO QUEENIE” From Baginton, Coventry Airport.

Despite our best efforts to organise a very “Last minute event”, in the form of a photo shoot with the T7 and NF11 (Recorded as having flown with Sir Frank Whittles Ashes) time has not allowed us to put everything in place.
    Though sad at the loss of such an important British Heritage Aircraft, the oldest flying jet in the UK, we wish the aircraft and her new owners well in her new home in the US, and know that at least there she will be once again flexing her wings !

The plan from the aircrafts Owners is to fly the T7 Meteor out of Coventry to Liverpool on Monday 19th March, weather permitting, with the following day, Tuesday 20th March as the back up date. The wing tips, will be removed and the aircraft wrapped and lifted on to a trailer to go to Liverpool port. She should arrive in Portsmouth VA USA 3 weeks later. Then everything in reverse at Hampton Roads airport.

After test flying and certification the plan is to fly her in formation with a Vampire and Venom at Oshkosh to commemorate RAF 100 year"

Hi All,
    It really saddens me that the UK loses valuable aircraft like this because of red tape and stuffiness along with the pandering to the Pc culture the UK
    seems to have adopted in all things....

Geoff.

That sounds very out of touch Geoff. The world always has been quite a dynamic place. If you sit in one place for too long, you’re bound to be left behind.

Hi All,
    KurtB
    Not really maybe I didn't explain enough, I accept that the wheels keep on turning but this country seems to be putting red tape into whatever and
    promoting the pc culture in which anything goes with no limitations. The US has an active jet scene so why can't the UK so long as certain rules are
    followed ? in my mind that is why nobody in the UK is interested in jet warbirds and why we see them shipped off to wherever.

Granted at the end of the day the sellers want the best price. I am sure there are buyers in the UK that if certain red tape was modified to allow for
    civil owned jet warbird operations the UK would see more buyers operating the type. Until that occurs I cannot see many interested in buying and flying
    the jets that are allowed to be flown at present particularly in the light of the Hunter crash and subsequent grounding. (RIP those who passed)

The chance for more exotic jet types should be given even if restricted to straight and level fly pasts and only at certain airfields etc. All I can see as the
    future are airshows getting fewer and fewer, limiting what aircraft are allowed to fly getting fewer and fewer, meanwhile the UK unlike the US is missing
    out on it's full flying heritage. I just believe in fairness all around no matter what and at the moment I think lots of things in the world are not but that's another debate...

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 14th March 2018 at 14:52.

It would have been perfectly possible to operate the Meteor in the UK. It was up for sale for some time, but the only interest came from the US. Sad, but there it is.

Quite, and displays I've seen by the Sea Vixen and JPs since Shoreham and the new rules certainly show that there's no need to restrict to straight and level flypasts. Still, it seems like the damage has been done, and I'm sad that I never got to see this Meteor fly, and probably won't again now...
    Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Dunsfold, August 26th, 2012. It was absolutely beautiful. Best wishes to the new owners!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5951.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	940.4 KB 
ID:	259416
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5956.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	259417

PC culture? Surely you’re referring to health and safety culture?

Both,,,

So.... A culture of Political Correctness is preventing historic British fast jets from appearing at airshows? That has to be one of the single stupidest things I've ever read on here.

Quite.

Hi All,
    Bruce - I never thought any different matey....

Meddle & Kurt - No of coarse not! I was merely suggesting that along with the Red tape + Pc culture that is prevalent throughout current society in
    any activity that is what comes first. i.e NO YOU CAN'T HAVE/DO/WANT that etc. etc.

I was also suggesting a possible reason why nobody was interested in buying the meteor could have been due to the fact a similar attitude etc.etc. are also imbedded within the CAA and other bodies that make the rules and regulations within the aviation community.

Which in turn puts the mockers on people who would otherwise look at buying and operating jet aircraft, I assume that after the Hunter accident jet operation guidelines and regulations have been tightened with sterner limits ? This in turn would have a detrimental effect on the mkt ?

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 17th March 2018 at 20:05.

It will be sad to see these two go, but if they found no buyers over here there can't be any complaints. The Meteor F.8 went to Australia for similar reasons, so it's not a new phenomenon.

Talking of classic jets in general, they seem to have everything against them and it's amazing that we have been able to see as many as we have flying over the years. They can be very thirsty, very complex and spares can be hard to get hold of depending on the type, which all adds up to high costs. There also isn't the same sort of "cottage industry" supporting them as there is for warbirds. Add to this the finite life of structures and components and rising fatigue indexes with use, you end up with a recipe where owners can spend thousands operating something that is worth much less than what they bought it for, ie you spend a lot only to devalue the aircraft by flying it. Then there's the public perception of "if it's a jet it can't be that old", which leads to a lack of kudos in owning one. The only thing keeping many types airborne is sheer passion and deep pockets, and individuals with both of those are in short supply.
    "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Looking at it from another direction, I have just booked my trip to Oshkosh for this season, so hopefully I will see the US celebration of 100 years of the RAF.

I feel sorry for the group that did so much of the work to get it near to an airworthy state and then see it fly off in to the distance. But as has been said, at least it should keep on flying.

Hi All,
    Trumper - Many thanks for the videos....

Don't get me wrong people I am glad it will still be flying, I am just saddened that the UK is so tight on jet operations that prevent the more
    exotic fast jet operations that IMPO put those who would consider owning classic jests alongside them or make others ponder classic jet operations on
    their own off the idea all together and that in turn leads to these sales.

None the less it's all good news for the aviation enthusiast as we know they are being kept alive and flying....

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 20th March 2018 at 17:41.

Thread Information