Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Looking for a home for a WW2 biog manuscript

Looking for a home for a WW2 biog manuscript

Years ago I put an advert out looking for WW2 memoirs - the idea was to record these before it was too late. I was sent a manuscript written by Lawrence Stow who was a pilot in Bomber Command. He flew Lancasters in 100 Sqn and took part in many raids, including one on Peenemunde. in his covering letter he states he is happy for the manuscript to be published, providing if it is a commercial venture a donation is made to the RAF Benevolent Fund.

I am not a publisher and would like to pass this manuscript on to someone who can publish it.

There are no photos. It might be possible to contact his family. Looking on the web, there are some you-tube videas about him, presumably made by his family. Lawrence died in 2009.

Can anyone help please?

I suggest you go to your local library and look at a copy of the Writers and Artists Yearbook. This lists all sorts of agencies handling publishing. Don't bother with literary agents or mainstream publishers, but check out the listings for publishing services. Here you will find reading and evaluation services. They will take a look at your manuscript and decide if it can be made commercial. But beware of vanity operators - getting you to pay to have it published.
    I wrote a book about military flying in World War Two - based in part on testimony I had gathered from veterans. 20 literary agents turned it down (and I had a track record in successful books and as a TV producer and scriptwriter). Thankfully Splash TV have put it out. You can read a sample chapter for free at: www.ofsonsandskies.com

Very interesting chapter Robert,thanks. As a keen consumer of wartime writings and historians offerings, I do note a special style of story telling in your approach. Replacing the usual standard dry detailing with picture painting and news headlines of those days i feel that there is value in the book. Hopefully it will be selected for publication.

Thanks guys

Is the manuscript in paper or electronic form, as it might be possible to sell it as print on demand.
    I see some books available via abebooks are in this form now.

Thanks Lanc35 - its on paper

Thread Information