Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Vietnam era (1970) UH-1 Huey cockpit

Vietnam era (1970) UH-1 Huey cockpit

Didn't know if I should post here or on the Historic forum.....guess this would be more historic than anything but any help would be appreciated. I'm looking for pictures of an Army Vietnam era Huey cockpit. One that shows the instruments really well. I've looked online and have seen everything under the sun but can't be sure of era/mods...etc. I'm helicopter illiterate and don't usually do panels of these but have a Vietnam pilot of the 173rd I'm building a display for as a gift. Usually I do WWII but those heroes are all but gone. Any help would be fantastic, pics, manuals, part numbers....particularly of the Air Speed Indicator, RPM, Fuel...and any others. I want it to be period correct for him. As soon as I find out the variant he flew I'll post it. Thanks in advance.

AB.204 http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/uh/ab204/ab204-6.jpg Similar to UH-1D
    AB.205 http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/uh/ab205/ab205-2.jpg Similar to the "Slick"

My experience in Vietnam-era Hueys was Dk. Grey (Gunship Grey) for the interiors, everywhere, black on the dash and instrument clusters. All examples were heavily weathered and covered with the standard dark Army OD green. Top windows above the pilot/copilot was tinted green.
    Last edited by Freehand; 11th March 2018 at 03:02.

Thanks Freehand for the pics....Still don't know which variant he flew....think it was a "C" but don't know for sure. Should know this week.

Thanks for the pics and info....good stuff.

The Huey gunships in RVN were normally in the beginning the B, later replaced by the C.
    Later of course the Huey Cobra was introduced but did not replace all the early gunships.
    The cockpits of the B & C models would be very similar. Only minor differences in the instruments, I don't think in a model you could see that.
    The instrument panel would be gray with black instruments & the various placards.
    I know of no US Army Huey's with a green panel as in the photo posted above. As mentioned its an Agusta Bell variant.
    I know as I flew B's and D's in RVN during TET 1968.
    What scale will you build it in?

Good Vibs,

Thanks so much for the reply. I thought the green panel was unusual as well....no matter, I'm not "modeling" a display for him. I build these displays out of wood, usually maple, mahogany or walnut. They are basically pieces of furniture on a small scale. I draw out the instrument panel of the aircraft they flew in AutoCad, exact as I can, scale it down to just big enough to hold several instruments. I only use the actual instruments that would have been in that aircraft. Mostly AHI's, ASI's....etc. I stain and poly the wood so it's a beautiful presentation piece. I want them to have something to enjoy for the rest of their lives. I do this at my own expense and can only do a few per year. Especially now that I'm doing the Vietnam era, gauges can be very expensive. I have been doing WWII pilots but as I stated earlier, they are all but gone. This post was to gain info on the correct instruments for a 1970 Huey, as I am helicopter illiterate. My expertise lies more in WWII aircraft. I was hoping someone could post a pic and tell me beyond a shadow of a doubt it's "C" variant or "D". If you have any pics it would be fantastic if you could share and lend me your expertise. Since you are a combat pilot as well.....private message me and I'll get you my email......if you don't have anything like this I'll get you on my list (if you want to be)....Thank you for your service my friend....

Thanks TonyT.....great resource.......

Outstanding what you have planned. Good luck.

Taking photos then was completely different than now with the digital means we have. Really easy now to take dozens or hundreds if you like.

Strangely I have no cockpit photos. I guess flying & looking at them all day and night was enough.
    But on my units web site, the 121st Soc Trang Tigers, I did find a UH-1B instrument panel photo, in B&W but still very good.
    And also during the Vietnam war, despite a few small differences, the instrument panel for the B, C, D & H were all the same.

As I mentioned the instruments were all in black, etc. The panel was in a lighter gray.
    On the left side of the panel there is a red limitations decal with white letters & numbers. On the right side is a square white limitations decal with black letters & numbers.

The photo was submitted by fellow unit member Larry H., his photo. Thank You Larry.
    Name:  UH-1B 121st Avn Co, Soc Trang RVN, 1967 Larry Hardin photo.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  69.1 KB
    Last edited by Good Vibs; 22nd March 2018 at 08:09.

Beautiful photograph....thank you. Thanks to Larry as well.

I hear you on the digital cameras.....wish they existed in my Navy days so I would have more photos......there is something about 35mm that just can't be beat though!

I suspected most of the instruments would be somewhat similar across the variants at the time. Most changes were engine related it looks like (?). I've seen so many pics with upgraded instruments and claiming they are this and that, I couldn't be 100% sure. I like to go straight to the source, pilots that have been there and done that. They are the most reliable.

I've even seen museum mock ups that are completely wrong (WWII aircraft).

Thanks again for the great info...it really helps. I'm just starting my first one of these for the Vietnam era (Huey) so there will be a learning curve.

Thread Information