Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Fiat G.91

Fiat G.91

I tried to find an old thread to revive so I didn't add another thread, but I think they are archived. In any case, i'm trying to build a model of a G.91 PAN, and I was curious.......the kit comes with two different canopy types. One appears to be a bit more bulged in the middle. Does anyone know anything about G.91s in terms of canopy changes? I've never read anywhere they had different types of canopies.

Secondly, were the .50 cal. guns removed on those aircraft? I thought I read they were, but a few photos of the Frecce Tricolori jets seem to show barrels protruding...any thoughts?

(Also, this is not in the Historic section because it doesn't have a propeller and my luck with jets tends to be better here...move it if you wish though.)
    Fox-4!

The Gina had indeed two different canopy types, the "lowest" was used with the original MB mk4 ejection seat, the "tallest" with the MB mk6. All the Italian Ginas had been retrofitted with the mk6 around 1975, so if you are modelling the "PAN" go for the tallest canopy.
    The Browning were replaced lead weights that looked like "guns".
    Cheers

Thanks for the help! I'm almost done, and it's a pretty nice kit, and it really underscores how small the type was. Although I had assumed it was small, until I saw a few in person, I had never realized just how small it actually was. Almost like a 3/4 scale Sabre in some ways...

It's fun to think of the capabilities of a modern version of the G.91. I can't help but think it might make a useful CAS type for those countries with a smaller budget. The role it was designed to perform it could likely do now, albeit with more modern equipment and some design changes. A moot point I suppose, but I can't help but wonder.
    Fox-4!

Thread Information