Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TIGHAR Trashes UKs Earhart Search Efforts

I just invented a new chemical element on FaceBook after someone posted a pic of something & asked for ideas regarding it's identification:

Gillespium.

1, Something that isn't what it's claimed to be.
    2, Something that no one can positively identify.

I'm rather proud of that

Edit: & now someone else has come up with Amelium LOL!
    Last edited by ZRX61; 17th May 2018 at 19:47.
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

I can't get past Gillespie honing in on a British documentary about Earhart.....why, for any reason at all, would anyone in England care one way or the other??? Last I checked, Earhart was American...
    That's not very complimentary towards English documentary audiences; we have much broader interests than many Americans would believe (even the Scottish, Welsh and Irish audiences may be interested)!

However, I doubt very much if that general interest in a good mystery, and we're suckers for a good mystery over here, would translate into many cash donations to TIGHAR, generous or otherwise!

Also, Gillespie would be wise to tread very carefully around British documentary makers; a documentary ostensibly about the disappearance of a noted aviator may turn out to be far more interesting if it concentrates on the 'disappearance' of large sums of donated money in the vicinity of a 'colourful' American wreck-hunter!
    WA$.

're: your paragraph 3 about UK documentary film makers....
    We can only hope...
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Amelium

- Something that cannot be found but at the same time is exactly where everyone thinks it is (e.g. Pacific Ocean, Dartmoor). Often used in aviation.

Fool's Amelium - a common name for Gillespium. Gillespium may be distinguished from Amelium by being a) found and b) misidentified.
    Last edited by Beermat; 18th May 2018 at 11:36.
    www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
    It's all good. Probably.

Millerium - A missing element.

Millerium is just as rare as Amelium but is far less likely to be searched for due to its natural occurrence only in the cold English Channel (rather than Amelium which is found, or rather, not found, only on tropical islands in the Pacific Ocean).
    WA$.

There was a piece about the new Miller search in the latest Air &Space magazine.
    It made it sound like RG knows where to go and all he has to do is drop a net. Also, it mentioned the fisherman who allegedly hauled the wreck up had RC airplane experience, therefore knew aircraft.
    Oddly, coming from a author and magazine that know aviation, the fact that is likely nothing left of the tube, fabric and wood aircraft wasn't mentioned. Neither was the lack of proof on anything AE-related.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Bovine Excretium a new element on the periodic table originally known as Bull S##t Easy to flush. recently discovered around funding time
    Ian
    Last edited by Wellington285; 18th May 2018 at 16:11. Reason: grammar

Is the suggestion then, in Air & Space magazine, that Glen Miller's aircraft was dredged-up in fishing-nets by a knowledgeable fisherman who somehow managed to identify the aircraft type after his nets were hauled-in, and who noted the GPS coordinates where it was snagged in the net (not where the nets were hauled-in) but who then decided that the wreckage (engine?) was not significant, not worth keeping, not worth anything in scrap-value and not worth retaining on-board so the same wreckage didn't damage his, or anybody else's, nets in future...

...so the fisherman turfed the wreckage overboard.....again noting the exact GPS coordinates, obviously!

Yep, that sounds plausible.....now where's my cheque-book!
    WA$.

Unfoundium, a rare isotope of Unobtainium

Jeeze, what have I started? LOL!!
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

I'm sure the group doesn't know exactly where it is...after all it can't be too easy...then there would be no multi-year search program, repeated visits to the UK and (most importantly) no multi-year begging and donations.
    No money in that.

Thread Information