Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Parts I.D DHP ?

Parts I.D DHP ?

Trying to identify the aircraft type for this item
    According to the brass plate the part number is A00397A. The serial number is DHP 60145 with DHP110 shown in a circle.
    I've seen DHP before but can't for the life of me remember where.
    The item is steel with welded joints and looks engine related ??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dhp2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	259140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dhp.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	259141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dhp1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	259142  

Its a brace that fits under the main fuselage fuel tank on a Vampire

DHP in a circle or rounded diamond is De Havilland Proprietary, (de Havilland Australia) and 110 is the inspectors identity number.

Also used on Venom and Sea Venom.
    Let your soul stand cool and composed before a million universes – Walt Whitman
    http://vhjet.com

BTW, is there actually any evidence that P stands for Proprietary? It is certainly not DH Australia specific as this was discussed previously on another thread - DHP is found on English built parts - eg on Rhodesian Vampire FB.9 R1382. I suspect that P actually stands for Production, which is actually more likely, since it is an inspection stamp verifying a production part. I challenged this in the other thread too, because I haven't seen any evidence and I don't believe it makes sense. The pedant I am would like to see the proof!
    As DH in England was still 'Co Ltd', and in Australia was 'Pty Ltd', it doesn't make sense that it comes from here. I don't believe that DH legal-eagles would have insisted that parts be marked as proprietary by marking them with a P as if that was the case they would want it written somewhere that that was the meaning of that abbreviation!!! lol. Sorry, just like to see the evidence. Some untruths get repeated, like the one that the Australian Tiger Moth production line was at Bankstown!

I thought the P stood for Propellers - what does Bruce say?

Yes, I was just about to add that DHP is de Havilland Propellers.

Anon.

DHP Oi Oi Oi

Nicko, stirring the possum ! I grew to an understanding some time ago that DHP was an Australian production stamp, then you come along and force me to seek proof, when I could be enjoying myself scraping rust off parts ! So here it goes. These are all Mosquito parts, DH98. First, the correct corporate moniker, based on known Australian parts and documents. First, a dataplate from an Australian made undercarriage assembly, made by Wunderlich and a dataplate from an Australian made hydraulic ram, from James Kirby, all describing the entity as DE HAVILLAND PTY LTD. This concurs with an original Airframe certificate issued from Bankstown, as well as an Australian fuel tank panel.
    So I concur that the Australian entity is DE HAVILLAND Proprietory Limited (shares held privately), not DE HAVILLAND Proprietory and the UK entity is DE HAVILLAND Company Limited (shares listed for public subscription).

Name:	DHP Corporate.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	259168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DHP Corporate fuel tank.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	259169  
    Last edited by powerandpassion; 24th February 2018 at 08:03.

Then we go to what could only be Australian Mosquito parts, looking for a DHP inspection stamp. This is harder than I think, as I see lots of DHP stamps on various parts but no context to confirm that they are uniquely Australian. The assemblies in the photos, which can only be Australian, are a PR41 Console B and control column made by Phillips. There are plenty of inspection stamps over all these and other pieces, that are not DHP, but that illustrates how much sub contract manufacture was involved in the Mosquito program. But on these assemblies, the faint DHP stamp finally appears. Inside the Console B, to the right of the inked part number, and on the control column, where the finger is pointing. The same style of DHP inspection stamp appears on the label of a G6A Australian made instrument.

Name:	DHP PR41 Box B.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	259170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DHP PR41 Box B stamp.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	259171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DHP Control column.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	259172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DHP WID Instrument label stamp.jpg 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	259173  

But, how can we definitivey say that the DHP stamp can only be an Australian production mark ? Going back to an original airframe logbook, under the WID (Works Inspection Directorate ) column for Bankstown, the DHP Inspection stamp appears, to corroborate the same style of stamp appearing on known Australian parts.

Name:	DHP WID Instrument stamp.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	259174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DHP WID stamp.jpg 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	259175  

As per the original post I concur that the part is Vampire and I would be confident to bet a beer that it is an Australian manufactured part. Cutting it open should show a wad of chewing gum or old, failed betting slip stuffed in which should definitively confirm the fact. I do not think that it is strange to find Australian parts in a Rhodesian Vampire. I understand DH UK were prevented by the UK government from selling parts to the Smith government in Rhodesia, but that would not stop the receptionist at Hadfield redirecting a sales inquiry to Australia...I am never surprised by the capacity of the tobacco, liquor or arms industries to join willing sellers with willing buyers. As a further contribution I post the WID stamps from DH UK Inspection handbook from 1953, where the shapes denote progressive and final inspection. I do not know whether this scheme applied during WW2, but the logic supports the DHP diamond shape as a final inspection mark applied in Bankstown.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

DH Australia set up a separate facility for the manufacture of Hamilton Standard products under licence during WW2. Australian parts are identified by the Hamilton Standard part number preceded by an 'A'. The inspection stamps on these parts use 'DHA' surrounded by a diamond shape, which supports the idea that the diamond shape was antipodean. The photos show Australian made CSUs and US made Merlin distribution valve with Australian inspection mark.

Name:	DHP CSU 1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	259177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DHP CSU ADH.jpg 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	259178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DHP Valve ADH.jpg 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	259179  

First things first - P+P, you owe me a beer!

DH Inspection stamps are complex, and not necessarily logical.

DHP relates to parts made at de Havilland Christchurch, where the majority of two seat trainers were built. Thus the part at the head of the page is likely from an English built T11. The 'P' stands for Portsmouth.

Propeller parts are stamped DHL - or de Havilland Lostock, which was the site of the propeller factory.

Plain DH - Hatfield, DHB, Chester (Broughton) - I am sure other countries used different rules, so there may be some overlap.

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce; 24th February 2018 at 13:36.

Bruce, you owe me a beer!
    We went through this on P+Ps thread asking about Mosquito IDs.
    DHP is found all over Vampire parts built in both Australia and the UK.
    From Day 1 all single-seat Vampire parts with DH part numbers were made at Bankstown, NSW, Australia. This is described in the monthly reports from DHA to the Department of Supply. These reports, month by month, tell how many drawings have been received from the UK, how much production planning has been completed on detail parts, how many tools have been made, etc. Those of us who are interested enough and live here and worked for the company in the very hangar where all the parts were made know well enough where exactly, for example, the cast aluminium parts were made, where the massive rubber press was, etc. Out of all of the Australian production of Vampires, Single-seaters and trainers, the only 00, 12, 13 or 15 parts that were documented as being supplied to Australia to support local production that were made elsewhere, was the 7 (or 15? I can't remember) T.33 Fuselages that came from the UK. (It would be interesting to know at this point in time how common they were to the T.11s or T.22s - variations in instrument panel fitout and some equipment, I guess.). All of the Australian parts have DHP all over them, both single-seater and trainer.
    I don't know which country flyingblind found his y-brace in, but I didn't think there was any suggestion that it came from Australia or Rhodesia!
    At this point in time, I have heard that sanction busting led to Rhodesian Vampires having some parts from France, but there is no doubt that the wings that came with FB.9 R1382 where not made in Australia and have DHP stamped all over them. I know they are not Australian built because I know what the Australian wing serials are, and the Rhodesian wings have serials that have no resemblance to the Australian ones. Considering the number of options available to the Rhodesians, I doubt that they would have sourced parts in Australia. It would be interesting to know if someone has something to say about the Australian political view at the time. Note that Rhodesia had sourced the Reims-Cessna Lynx aircraft at that time direct from France.
    Last edited by Nicko; 24th February 2018 at 23:08. Reason: spelling, typo, clarification

Let's concede that the best thing to come from this parts ID conference is the appearance of beer all round ! I will concede, between rounds, that the original part has a small dataplate with DHP stamped as a part number. I do not know where it comes from. Newfangled jet things are beyond me anyway. This is different to the use of the 'DHP within a diamond', as an Inspection stamp, which I would say, between slurps, is definitely Australian, at least for Mosquito, based on the given evidence. Pretzel, anyone?

The original part, which sparked this beer drinking session, was located in the UK. I may be able to actually supply the ID of the aircraft over the next few days

Nicko,

The Rhodesian aircraft are ex RAF FB9's I believe. Use of the DHP stamp would suggest that parts were made at Christchurch which is quite likely. How they arrived in Rhodesia, I have no idea!

Shall we agree that DHP in an ellipse, or round is different to DHP in a diamond?

Well flyingblind, you've certainly stirred up this nest. I based my comments on post 3 on what I was told by DH NZ guys in the early 60's. My current Tiger rebuild has Australian production fuselage sides, Assembly numbers U2752 (port) and U2753 (stbd) with serial numbers 63 and 64 so reasonably early Australian production and both have inspection stamps of DHP7 in a rounded diamond. I know that these are Aussie made as they were bought by me from Austerserve in Bankstown in 1965 as a pair that were bound together and had DH Australia stores labels still attached and Phil Brown who ran Austerseve was rather proud of them as they were original parts that he had bought from DH stores as part of a job lot when they cleared their Tiger parts, and they were (and still are) unflown examples. I agree with you Bruce, on your comment.

I have no real interest in stamps but can confirm an Aussie vampire rudder in my collection has DHP in a diamond stamps on it.

Thread Information