Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Its 2010, you're India and can choose only up to 2 fighters for its core!

Its 2010, you're India and can choose only up to 2 fighters for its core!

Rules:
    - It is 2010, you're in charge of deciding the multi-role fighter force for the next 30 years (to 2040)
    - You can choose up to two types
    - Types can be any operational one (i.e. Flanker) or proposed ones (FGFA, AMCA, Tejas, etc)
    - You can split it into different time frames. For example 201X to 202X is plane A and Plane B, 202X to 204X is plane B and plane C
    - This is 2010, there is no MMRCA decision yet. So India still has only Floggers, Flankers, Fulcrums, M2Ks, etc. you can include them as your choice as well
    - Take into consideration India's economy and strategic needs

lets see if you can make a more minimalistic choice than the real Indian MOD and IAF

2010-2020ish
    Su-30MKI and Mirage 2000

2020-2025
    Su-30MKI and Tejas

2025 and beyond
    FGFA and Tejas

I don't think this is the most capable combination, but I think it provides the most in-house control of production and support.

Another wishlist thread ? I would assume the outcome to be a bit predictable this time. Ah, whatever:

2010 is a bit late. The Mirage 2K assembly line offer expired in 2007 IIRC- that kills this chance for standardization. Leaves only the MiG and Sukhoi as options. I'll go with the cheaper one.

2010-201X MiG-29 SMT & Tejas. A bit more comprehensive upgrades to the exisiting 29's + refurbished/new built airframes of the same standard. Lets say an initial MiG order worth 4 Squadrons, and then adding orders to the MiG untill the Tejas production is ramped up.
    202X-2030 Tejas & FGFA
    2030-2040 MCA & FGFA
    Last edited by Aurel; 21st February 2018 at 21:37.

wow so much love for the Tejas.

2010-2025: SU-30MKI and Mirage 2000
    2025-beyond: AMCA and F-35

also F-35 for the navy too

reasons:

China will become more and more of a security challenge for India, and quite frankly, I don't see them being able to take China alone in the long term.
    They will need alliances. I like and enjoyed the Russia-Indian alliance but in the future, Russia will keep drifting further into Chinas orbit.
    so it will need some deeper military alliances with the US

I also think there is a possibility FGFA will fall through. India is going to keep nitpicking and Russians will get sick and tired of India.
    F-35s can satisfy at least the A2G aspect of the 5th gen, and A2A until the Indians can make AMCA a better A2A platform than the 35.

Aurel
    2010 is a bit late. The Mirage 2K assembly line offer expired in 2007 IIRC
    Grrr. If correct that kills my first choice. Mirage 2000 and Mig31

I fully agree that India needs (needed?) to be building alliances, and the policy of doing so through purchasing is a good one.

Rafale and Mitsubishi F2 then.

USA and Russia have to tread carefully with court China or deter China. And India cannot risk being constrained by other people's politics (also it might encourage more favourable deals with force multipliers purchased from both nations)

France would have much to gain from a BIG export order, so I'll rewrite history and both sides didn't dick about this (that) time. Rafale Ms in a big order at a sensible price, with a follow on local assembly under a sensible licence. Standardising on the M model allows for a single set of documentation, training syllabus and spares for Air Arm and Air Force.

Japanese change of policy (not law) comes a bit earlier than in real land. Mitsubishi does with its jets what they and other Japanese car manufacturers have done so well. Builds and invests in its own production line in India to make use of lower labour costs, tax breaks, investment incentives and local goodwill.
    Rule zero: don't be on fire

I'd go with the Su-30MKI and probably the Mirage 2000, if we're sticking to existing inventory. Looking forward, a light fighter option could be the Tejas or even the Gripen (If the U.S. doesn't stop it).

AI.

The consideration of Japan is important and something many may miss, so good on you for bringing it up. the US-Indian-Japan triangle is rising in importance with Japan trying to push its US-2 sale

Although the F-2 is unlikely, perhaps that UK/JP 5th gen project would be of interest. Especially as I am not that confident HAL can build the AMCA alone.

Isn't obvious..? It's 2010 and it's Su-30 MKI and Mirage 2000..

Isn't obvious..? It's 2010 and it's Su-30 MKI and Mirage 2000..
    well the rules did say 2010 to 2040.
    not sure if the M2K will still be useful in the 2030s

2010 - 2020 Su-30 MKI and Mirage 2000

2020 - 2030 Su-30 MKI and Rafale

2030 - 2040 Rafale and Su-57.

But India always need third Fighters. Thus Mig 21 (from 2010 - 2020) and Tejas as the replacement (from 2020 - 2040).

It's 2010, I would get Tata and Mahindra to build a MCA with a 10year target for plane A and 20year for plane B and 10% max profit allowable. Put the issue to bed.

For me I would go for SU-30 and F-18 with a mix of E/F and G would do quite nicely up to 2040 also make the 2 to Growler units Mixed airforce and navy crews so they can go to sea with the carrier group after 2020 start working on 5 gen replacements

Why Tata and not HAL?

Quote Originally Posted by J-20 View Post
    Why Tata and not HAL?
    To bring in new companies to the sector HAL already swamps aerospace in India. it would also give the likes of Tata and Mahindra some more experience to take on global markets and companies. Tata with a bit of experience would be good for example as a bidder for UKs GKN .
    Wrinkles wrinkles my kingdom fallen to a wrinkle

Thread Information