Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: RCAF Hurricane Looking for Cockpit Photos

RCAF Hurricane Looking for Cockpit Photos

Does anyone have any period photos of the cockpit of an RCAF Hurricane? I've found only 1 and it's hard to make out the instrument panel clearly. Trying to figure out part/ref numbers for original instrumentation. If anyone has that info would be great as well. Thanks in advance.....

Hi Salutewwii
    Im also trying to complete a RCAF Mk1 Hurricane instrument panel but like you have found it hard to source photos etc.

Not sure if you have seen the below link from this forum but there is some good information and you will see the panel i have on post 2 and 4.

https://forum.keypublishing.com/show...ane-Panel-Help

If you do source any cockpit photos can you please post them on this thread, cheers as this is ongoing for me also.

I hope this helps.

To make it a little easier here is the panel i have that flying blind previously put a thread on for help with.

https://forum.keypublishing.com/show...panel-or-is-it

Thanks for the reply and yes I've seen this thread. The original photos help, you can at least see a portion of the tach. I've been in touch with museums all over Canada and I've found one person who thinks they know the right tach. None of them can give me part/ref number that is derived from original documentation. Tried to attach photos with no luck of the two different mfrs the two different museums recommended. One is a Kollsman and one a Pioneer. Which was actually the spec, 3500RPM or 4000RPM? I've seen both. If I find anything I'll see about posting pics but I've searched for hours and hours and nothing. I have a museum contact who I know well, if you have any specific questions I can ask. But remember...it probably won't be backed up with documentation.

Take care,...well one of the pics showed up....who knew? I'm willing to bet money your tach is correct.

Well, now that I take a closer look at the original photo.......looks like it is a 4000RPM tach......so.........?????
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by salutewwii; 21st February 2018 at 00:07. Reason: Pic showed up

The original definitely looks like a 4000 RPM.

Bruce,

I've got a pic of what I believe to be the correct tach. Sent to me from one of the Canada museums from their Hurricane. I can't upload it from here but will later today when I get home from work.

This is a close up of my dial, the majority of the dials on my panel are Kollsman.

That would be helpful if you can post any extra information that you can source from your great contacts from Canada and visa versa.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would love to know who put together the panel that i now have, as im pretty sure they must of had some source to the drawings from somewhere which would be very helpful in finding the correct RCAF Hurricane cockpit panel dials etc.

Any ideas anyone?

Ahhh yes.....this is the most common used because of it's availability. The 4000 RPM versions are apparently rather rare. Been told farmers scarfed them up post war to use on tractors and farm equipment because they were mechanical drive.

Post a pic later today.

Forgot to mention, I'm working on getting photos of a museums full instrument panel. Same one that sent me the 4000 RPM tach pic. I've verified through 2 museums that they think it's the original tach used. If I get the photos I'll post them.

That will be some very helpful photos to say the least, look forward to seeing them in due time.

Well, don't hold your breath or get your hopes up......they don't respond very well and seem to be ignoring me at the moment. I know they are busy but you would think they would want ANYONE to help preserve this history and be able to pass it along to future generations. Hopefully they are just really busy and will get back to me soon.

Here is the 4k tach. Confirmed by 2 museums to be correct for the RCAF Hurricane. Looking at the only period photo I have (only see part of the tach) it seems to match. Waiting for these guys to send me pics of the rest of their panel. I do have another museums pics that's missing the tach. I'll post them shortly. I don't know how period correct a few of their instruments are though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCAF_Hurri_RPM_Pioneer_4k.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	278.2 KB 
ID:	259107

Here are pics from a different museum of the entire instrument panel. Everything looks correct as far as I know. They are missing the tach and looking for one.

Also, part numbers below from yet a different museum....only for the BFP. Probably correct but I'm sure there were variations.

Airspeed PN: AN2.3/4-16-M

Altimeter PN: 6A/685

Artificial Horizon PN: 646040

Directional Gyro PN: 649742

Vertical Speed PN: 1636-6A-B1

Turn and Bank PN: 1722-8M-C1

Name:	RCAF_Hurri_Inst_Panel2.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	259108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCAF_Hurri_Inst_Panel_1.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	259109

More photos from the same museum that has the correct tach. Unfortunately missing some instruments so far during their restoration. They also don't have any supporting documentation to verify instrument part/ref numbers.

Name:	RCAF_Hurri_ingenCanada_resized.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	259137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCAF_Hurri_ingenCanada1_resized.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	259138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCAF_Hurri_ingenCanada2_resized.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	259139

Curious gun button cover, never seen that before. Was that standard fit on CCF Hurri's?

Sorry for thread drift...
    "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Got me....I've never seen one....looks like same button on RAF version but have never seen one on a RAF Hurri either.

I would be correct in assumption, that the above Hurricane cockpits would be Hurricane 5418 (first pictures) located at the Reynolds Museum Wetaskiwin Alberta, which was restored in the late 1980's. The second set are of Hurricane 5584, which is displayed at the Canada Air and Space Museum in Ottawa, Ont.
    Hurricane 5584 is the most original RCAF Hurricane left in the world. It was repainted in the early Sixties, but has remained relatively untouched and on display since then. I would guess that the tach is still the original used operationally. Both these aircraft were used latter in the war to look for Japanese Balloon Bombs.

mrp
    Mark

Mark,

You are correct! They have both been very kind in sharing info. I just wish they had some original documents. Does anyone know what happened to the factory documentation from Canada during WWII?

It must be archived somewhere.

Here is the part number for the correct RCAF Hurri tach. Thanks to Pat at Vintage Wings of Canada.

2010-6A4-A5

Thread Information