Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: In which I beat TwinOtter23: Newark getting a Chinook!

In which I beat TwinOtter23: Newark getting a Chinook!

Just seen via FB that Newark is getting ex-Cranwell GI Chinook ZA717.

For those members of the group you can see the photos here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/72147682000/?fref=nf

Beaten you to it, Howard!
    Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Well done T T - I was going to add it into the Puma thread, but here will do!

More info on the NAM website http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/latest-news - unfortunately it won't be in situ for the school group I'm hosting tomorrow!!

If you'll pardon the pun it's all a bit of a whirl at the moment, both on the acquisitions front and work on the base & services for the new café & toilet facility!!
    Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
    Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Will the new cafe be open in time for Cockpit Fest this year, Twin Otter?

Anon.

Do they have access to the parts to make it a complete display?
    The photo on the website appears to show it rather incomplete.

At any rate, it's a rare find, very few are in museums because they keep getting rebuilt and modernised. Well done.
    Last edited by J Boyle; 15th February 2018 at 04:03.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Ex Chinook engineer too..

ZA717 was one of a pair of RAF Chinooks that ate their own rotors within the space of two days in 1989 due to a manufacturing error in part of the dynamic train, hence why it was never upgraded. I think the other one was reduced to produce.
    Last edited by Cherry Ripe; 15th February 2018 at 10:43.

Sorry for the delayed response folks, very busy times!

Anon – the new café & toilets should be open by mid-April; modular build well underway off-site & base now being installed.

J Boyle – NAM will have limited access to parts, but the short-term aim is to turn the ‘cab’ into an educational space; from the website “As with the Puma helicopter that was acquired recently the airframe is currently incomplete, but again it represents a valuable starting point for what the museum plans will become an interactive education resource for visiting groups of school children, Scouts, Cubs and Beavers.”

I have hosted a school group today and we went into the Wessex in three groups of eight youngsters; the idea of seating all 24 youngsters in one helicopter space is really encouraging. Part of the Chinook fit carried out at Cranwell for its training role is a LED lighting system and good access, which NAM will hope to utilise. Thanks for the positive comments.

TonyT – eventually another reason to visit NAM.

Cherry Ripe – the two incidents are known to NAM, indeed the museum’s groundsman witnessed the ZA717 crash in the Falklands and was involved in some aspects of the subsequent rescue.

Talking at the museum today the interest generated has been huge and it continues to develop; seems likely that a small fund raising appeal may be implemented to help cover the cost of the move; airframe being surveyed tomorrow by the haulage company. As a coincidence the school that visited today, is next door to the haulage company, who sponsored the hi-viz tabards that the children wear when walking to school in the village!

Any plans to repair the damage?

I have hosted a school group today and we went into the Wessex in three groups of eight youngsters; the idea of seating all 24 youngsters in one helicopter space is really encouraging. Part of the Chinook fit carried out at Cranwell for its training role is a LED lighting system and good access, which NAM will hope to utilise. Thanks for the positive comments.
    Ex Wessex too

Is this the last surviving HC1?

Fouga23 – not sure what the current repair & or restoration plans are for ZA717, not quite got that far yet!

TonyT – CH53’s?

Dave F68 – not sure about the HC.1 situation so I would need to check!
    Last edited by TwinOtter23; 16th February 2018 at 13:20. Reason: Forgotten Smiley!

According to Demobbed, it's the most complete of the two remaining "unmodified" HC1 airframes - the other being ZA768, which fell victim to the same fault a day earlier, and is minus it's cockpit

Thanks for the additional info DaveF68 I will pass on the info to NAM.

There's now been a Just Giving page set up to help with the move costs for ZA717 more details here https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/howard-heeley3

I would have a word with a local fabrication company and see if they could knock you up a single wheel ground steering arm - it would make life a lot easier

Looking at the pics -thats for the future ! Be nice if the RAF could donate some parts from ZA678

The priority at the moment is the move, which needs to take place sooner rather than later!

From what I am hearing the immediate plans would suggest a fixed location close to Hangar 1, from where power can be sourced to ‘light-up’ the existing LED lighting system etc. so that NAM can start utilising it for the education activities.

People from across the UK rotary sector are already being contacted and in a number of cases, contacting NAM – this applies to the Puma just as much as ZA717.

It’s fair to say that the interest so far, in both helicopters has been unprecedented!

Thread Information