Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Chipmunk Accident at Luskintrye NSW

Chipmunk Accident at Luskintrye NSW

DH Chipmunk VH-RSM, ex-RAF WB710, force-landed at Luskintyre NSW on the evening of the 13th February. On an evening solo flight, the pilot experienced engine trouble shortly after take off. He attempted to land in a nearby paddock, but struck the fence. Fortunately he escaped with nothing more than a severe laceration to his leg, and some bruising. The aircraft wasn't so fortunate, and is considered a write-off.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm always relieved to hear that injuries to persons were not life threatening.
    Here's wishing for a speedy recovery for the pilot.

Andy

I think that might have a chance of flight again -be interesting to see the starboard side

Looking at the shape of the stbd wing, I would hesitate before making any guesses!

The port wing attachment to the fuselage suggests some serious damage has occurred in that area too.

Usually the wing is snapped back which breaks the front wing attachment bracket and allows the trailing edge to crease the cockpit skinning.

I spares recovered a Portugese Chipmunk that was written off in a low flying incident a number of years ago. The centre section area with the tie bars is incredibly strong and also due to the fact that the bars can be replaced quite straightforward to repair . The skin damage above it I think relates to the engine departing . It needs time and money throwing at it.

Aircraft is still laying in the field & there's already been a damage assessment regarding possible return to flight or the scrap yard? I'm impressed....
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

I’ve done a few tie-bar mods and overhauls on the Chipmunk. I think it would be man hours required to inspect and repair above ability to repair. Nice little rebuilt for a skilled enthusiast. Mind you, a replacement engine won’t be cheap!

ZRX61 - from memory I have been involved with a Portugese example which required both wings - tailplane and elevator . Another was a British example which had the casting pulled out of the wing amongst other damage.

A Chipmunk has very simple structure and there are a wealth of parts available for them. You dont need to.be impressed - its very simple compared to something like a Chinook or Tornado

It was severely damaged, and was based at Luskintyre NSW, which has one of Australia's finest vintage aviation restorers based there, Luskintyre Aircraft Restorations. The accident happened immediately adjacent to the aerodrome, so an assessment was able to made on the spot, so to speak. I might add that it was removed to the workshops where the final verdict was pronounced. No doubt it it were a Spitfire, or another extremely rare vintage aircraft, then there would be a no expense-spared restoraton, but, sadly, as a Chipmunk, and therefore a relatively common aircraft, even here in Australia, the insurers will write it off.

The insurers writing it off and it being rebuilt or not, are not quite the same thing......

Indeed -a Gipsy overhaul at something like nearly 40K will write off most Chipmunks when they are in the 40-50K category.

I'm aware of that, but the aeroplane is severely structurally damaged, and it is being reduced to components, as the saying used to go.

Indeed its worth more as parts -a servicable Gipsy 10-2 head is now 1K plus .

Since when did people start considering economic viability when it comes to restoring aircraft?. Ok, I get that a new engine is worth as much as the entire aircraft.. so technically it's an "economic write-off". It's just time & materials
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

It all comes down to how badly you want it. I've got a car with about 5 times more money thrown into it then it's worth. But then again, I'd never sell it.

Economic viability comes into it if the aircraft's value is worth half what it would cost to rebuild it. Why would you spend way more than the aircraft could ever be worth? I'm rebuilding an Auster here in New Zealand and I'm doing as much of the work I can myself (under supervision since I'm an engineer just not an Aircraft one). It's from the ground up and if I paid someone to do it it would be waaaaay over NZ100K when they are selling here for barely NZ$50K. A totally rebuilt one might be worth a bit more but not over 100K. And mine had major repairs done to the fuselage and one wing by the previous owner so I'm not having to do major repairs whereas the Chippie needs major work carried out by someone who knows what they are doing and is licensed. If money is no object and the owner wants to see her fly again why then of course economic viability goes out the window. That's from the heart and there's no price on that!
    Last edited by baz62; 18th February 2018 at 03:06. Reason: Additional information

Thread Information