Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: How many LO (half-stealth) planes are around there?

How many LO (half-stealth) planes are around there?

We often debate at length about airborne radars respective performances but what about the receiving end?

Putting a brand new Aesa or Pesa radar on a legacy plane is surely a big improvement but it would risk to fall short (and costly) if no adequate measures are taken about RCS reduction.

On the other end also these kind of modifications have their costs and above all they require a lot of time to be tested and sometime they are just not convenient to implement for plane about to be retired in a few years.

So, it's possible to get an idea of what percentage of the birds of a given airforce has received such type of improvement? and at what length?

Do you mean how many are flying or how many different types?

Rafale, Super Hornet and Typhoon are the most obvious designs which indicate a nod or greater towards some sort of RCS reduction.

MiG-29M2's and Su-35 also receive such treatment.

Putting a brand new Aesa or Pesa radar on a legacy plane is surely a big improvement but it would risk to fall short (and costly) if no adequate measures are taken about RCS reduction.
    Even legacy aircraft get RCS reduction treatments. F-16's have be receiving the Have Glass series for many years. This includes the canopy treatment along with Pacer Mud (over 200 lbs of RAM applied) and Pacer Gem (IR topcoat).

It may not make them truly LO, but clearly effort and investment into reducing the RCS of existing aircraft has benefit.

What about Gripen ?

The Gripen manufacturer talks big about alleged stealth treatments and releases misleading RCS numbers about it but other than that, I'm not sure that theres anything stealth about this canarded out machine

Check your Google but I put Saab Gripen in the search and the next most popular word is Saab-Gripen-Stealth. So it has been an effective marketing campaign.

I personally think that the JF-17 has a lower RCS

Well, neither of the aircraft listed here are LO/stealth (gripen included). Gripen has a few features that likely puts in ahead of, say the russian designs posted here (small size, inlets etc), as it most certainly has been given the standard 4th gen rcs reduction package (fss radome, conductive conopy, ram on inlets, ram leading edges etc)

Rafale, SH, and perhaps also the Typhoon seems to me to have more RCS reduction efforts being done than the others...

I wonder if Gripen E will manage to get down to Rafale/SH levels of RCS reduction? Perhaps it will?

Thread Information