Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IRIAF F-14 flown by soviet pilots

IRIAF F-14 flown by soviet pilots

Hello together,

I found this info in Pierre Razoux book The Iran-Iraq War, any of you have additional info on this ?

Cheers

There has never been any evidence that the Soviet Union received any Tomcats from Iran - none, whatsoever.

I'm sure Iran gave the Soviets a nice look, but they didn't let them keep one. The GRU and the KGB had the goods on the F-14 before the Shah was deposed.

Why would they need to receive them? Much easier to send few pilots over for evaluation..

I'm sure Iran gave the Soviets a nice look, but they didn't let them keep one. The GRU and the KGB had the goods on the F-14 before the Shah was deposed.
    Doubt it. The Iranians were highly distrustful of the Soviets for historical reasons and the fact that they heavily supported Iraq in its war against Iran... Russia-Iran relations really warmed up only after the war ended and the fall of the USSR.

The post asks if Soviet pilots flew the F-14.

It doesn't ask if the Soviets acquired an F-14

Change in leadership. Money talks. I still think the Soviets had a lot more on the F-14 than the West realized. The Soviets were/are great at spying. Within a couple of years of the revolution, the MiG-31 was VVS entering service. No way the Russians turned that kind of technology around in two years. The tech the Russians acquired from the West and inspired by the F-14 went into the MiG-31. Along with some powerful engines.

O-o

Don't see anything on F-14 made it to MiG-31's. Zaslon has nothing in common to AWG-9 and so is R-33's.

any more details?
    flown as in what way?

I doubt any Soviets flew the Iranian F-14s during the war
    I doubt Iran gave any F-14s to the Soviets

It is possible they may have allowed Soviets to look at the plane.. in Iran.

according to a 1997 issue of JDW,article about iranian aerospace,the iranian plan to reengine some of F-14 and F-4 with russian angine and avionic system,particulalry the radar.and russia admitted they managed to obtain 2 F-14

From the armed forces of the soviet Union a book about the F-14, by the Ministry of defence and air forces of the Soviet Union

source http://www.strizhi.ru/cgi-bin/yabb/Y...1188479278/0#0

Quote Originally Posted by Freehand
    Change in leadership. Money talks. I still think the Soviets had a lot more on the F-14 than the West realized. The Soviets were/are great at spying. Within a couple of years of the revolution, the MiG-31 was VVS entering service. No way the Russians turned that kind of technology around in two years. The tech the Russians acquired from the West and inspired by the F-14 went into the MiG-31. Along with some powerful engines.
    What has the MiG-31 had in common with F-14A is beyond me.. Tech-wise they are not even similar..

Iraqi MiG-23s shot down by mistake the IRIAF F-14 that was trying to defect. As a result USSR never had an access to intact F-14.

Powerful engines...from F-14?

Quote Originally Posted by KGB
    From the armed forces of the soviet Union a book about the F-14, by the Ministry of defence and air forces of the Soviet Union

source http://www.strizhi.ru/cgi-bin/yabb/Y...1188479278/0#0
    I have a whole set of these, including Mirage 2000 and F-15C. They include detailed kinematic graphs, pre-flight and cockpit procedures, weapons and radar data and so on and so forth. Most of it is from open source data that was available at the time, though some of it might've been gathered through more covert types of intelligence. What I can say for certain is that the USSR never got their hands on an F-15C at any rate. I reckon the same applies to the cat.

No. The MiG-31's engines. The F-14's powerplants, from the outset, were a problem until much later on.

Pretty simple. Big aircraft w/a big radar, aircrew of two, guiding for long-range AAMs. The Soviets even mounted them in the same place. R-33/AIM-54, same size, same weight, same purpose. All coincidental?

I do not want to click on the link, anyone care to share quick summary of what is stated in the link provided by KGB or in the Razoux book? I seem to recall some of Razouk's facts in other books/articles about the Iran and Iraq conflict have some flaws, or unsubstantiated claims.

The F-15 is a copy of the Mig 31. The Mig 31 isn't a copy of the F-14

The only copy talk that's ever gone on with the F-14 is that the Russians made the intakes on the su 27 similar to the F-14

Frankly, this is the first time I hear about the MiG-31 resembling a Tomcat.. But be my guest..

@ lonewolf

you should read Razoux`s book, it`s an eye opener, you would be amazed at how pragmatic nations are when it comes to their interests.

your take on the subject- "the Iranians were highly distrustful of the Soviets for historical reasons and the fact that they heavily supported Iraq in its war against Iran" etc etc - it`s beyond simplistic and has nothing to do with reality

Also, to be more precise, Razoux wrote that the Iranians allowed the Soviets to inspect/fly the plane
    Last edited by mikoyan; 5th February 2018 at 23:20.

@ lonewolf

you should read Razoux`s book, it`s an eye opener, you would be amazed at how pragmatic nations are when it comes to their interests.

your take on the subject- "the Iranians were highly distrustful of the Soviets for historical reasons and the fact that they heavily supported Iraq in its war against Iran" etc etc - it`s beyond simplistic and has nothing to do with reality

Also, to be more precise, Razoux wrote that the Iranians allowed the Soviets to inspect/fly the plane
    Well, Tom Cooper in his book "Iranian F-14 Units in Combat" says exactly otherwise. Quoting an IRIAF officer on page 67:

"All reports that we delivered F-14As or AIM-54s to the USSR are erroneous. Even years later, when Soviet officers arrived in Iran as MiG-29 and Su-24 instructors and asked us to fly our fighters, we wouldn't let them anywhere near our F-5s, let alone the F-14s."

Kinda contradicts your claim, doesnt it? And i would rather believe Cooper since he seems to be the Western aviation historian with the most contacts in Iran...
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 6th February 2018 at 19:57.

By all means, most of the claims made by Tom Cooper have proven to be completely false.. especially related to Iraq-Iran war.. Ask Sheytan..

Agreed the kills claims should probably be taken with a pinch of salt. Saying they are 'completely false' is yet another gross exaggeration of yours though , the truth must lie somewhere in the middle. Anyway, it is still a good book with lot of first-hand info.

Who is "Sheytan" btw?
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 6th February 2018 at 19:57.

Sheytan (sheytanelkebir) is an Iraqi poster on this forum.. former military background, Mirage F1EQ pilot, I believe.. providing excellent first hand accounts, no BS, great info, balanced and believable.. with all due respect, his accounts make Tom Cooper's kill claims look like complete bo!!ocks, sorry to say this..

Pretty simple. Big aircraft w/a big radar, aircrew of two, guiding for long-range AAMs. The Soviets even mounted them in the same place. R-33/AIM-54, same size, same weight, same purpose. All coincidental?
    How about looking at the requirements ? Both designed to intercept cruise missiles and handle multiple targets. Those two requirements alone dictates large radar and long range AAM. Add ECM and there you go..put IRST. I wonder how Soviet can come up with other form of solution for handling cruise missiles.

----
    Tom Cooper.. nice but i have my doubts since he said Iraq has Kh-22 missile.

With all due respect, sheytanelkebir made some claims which Tom Cooper proved incorrect, like USAF F-15C loss on January 27, 1991 (R-40 fired by MiG-25 missed and F-15 didn't suffer any damage). On the other hand, Tom Cooper still collecting information about USN F-14A loss which appears to be second confirmed air-to-air kill of IrAF.

Sheytan has info from Iraqi MoD.. that means his accounts on Iranian kill claims are much more accurate than what IRIAF jocks say to Tom Cooper.. At the same time, his info on Iraqi kills might be less accurate because it's unconfirmed

I found his posts very informative.

I think he disproved quite convincingly that some of coopers claims were total bogus.

Nic

If we follow that logic, then it' no coincidence that Buran is nearly identical to the Space Shuttle.

Thread Information