Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Film 'Breaking Point' (1961) & it's Airspeed Oxford

Film 'Breaking Point' (1961) & it's Airspeed Oxford

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Br...281961_film%29

As per title, I watched the latter-end of the 1961 film 'Breaking Point' yesterday lunchtime.

It was screened on the (rather brilliant) "Talking Pictures TV" channel.

Latter part of the film surprised me, as it heavily featured an Airspeed Oxford

This dominated the last 15-17 minutes of the film & it showed Gatwick Airport.

Stunned to see GRASS & loads of it underneath the Oxford's wheels & undercart.

The film also showed Dakota G-AMPZ (presume later to serve with 'Air Atlantique' ?)
    I know I went up (flight) inside G-AMPO at North Weald, circa 1984-1985
    The film also showed a smart Vickers Viscount, as well as an early production Rover P.6

Now, back to the superb Airspeed Oxford...

Try as hard as I might, I couldn't make out it's civil-registration, so, was wondering...

Does anyone here know what it was ??

Also, did this actual aircraft survive to this modern-day ?

Could it even be, perchance, the actual Oxford that I've seen in the RAF museum at Hendon ??

Grateful to any (sensible), answers to the questions, above.

Last edited by Hornchurch; 28th January 2018 at 13:27. Reason: withdrawl of comma

The Oxford was far from extinct in 1961 though I suspect only a very few flew any later than that.

G-AHGU (V3815) was with Film Aviation Services, Gatwick from 1958, used in films "Operation Bullshine" and "Babette goes to War" 58/59. Undercarriage collapsed in a heavy landing at Fairoaks in October 1960 and canx. Destroyed when acting as stand-in for G-AJLR in film.
    G-AHTW (V3388) was based at Wolverhampton, circa 1960; to Skyfame, Staverton in 1964. Skyfame flew this last airworthy example for several years. Now a static exhibit at Duxford.
    G-AITB (MP425 Airwork Services, Perth, wfu May 61, to RAF Museum 1969.
    G-AITF (ED920) painted in Japanese markings for film. Airwork Services, Hamble and Perth. canx 10.61, to RAF Museum 1971, to SAAF Museum 1984.
    G-AIKR (PK286) convtd. to Consul. Coll. of Air Training, Perth 1960; T.H. Marshall 2.62, Rapid Flying Club, Baginton, 9.62, wfu when CoA lapsed 5.65, > Woburn as side show > Airwork, Gatwick > Skyfame on behalf of National Aviation Museum Rockcliffe, Canada for restoration to Oxford standard. To Canada 10.65 - extant.
    G-AJLR, (R6029) convtd. to Consul. Appears to have been active in 1960/61. Wfu from use at Fairoaks April 1964. Stored Cardington. Extant, but static, with Singapore Airlines, representing VR-SCD of Malayan Airlines.
    G-ALTP (PH321) Coll. of Air Training, Hamble 1960; T.H. Marshall 4.61, w/o at Christchurch Jan 62 when engine caught fire.
    G-ALTR (PH368) Coll. of Air Training, Hamble 1960; T.H. Marshall 4.61, w/o in t/o. accident in France, 8.61., canx 2.62.
    G-AOUT (MP301) Eagle Aircraft Services, Ringway 1956; used for filming, still at Ringway 7.59; used as spares for G-AJLR and G-AJXH.

My brief extracts from "The Oxford, Consul and Envoy File", John F. Hamlin, Air-Britain.

There may be more than these I found in a quick search.

Tony Broadhurst

Unfortunately the film isn't scheduled for re-showing on Talking Pictures TV during the next five weeks but it's been on before and it's bound to come round again and then if someone records it and plays back with 'freeze frame', the registration mark on the fin may be identifiable. In the meantime, the channel has a number of forthcoming showings of films with a good aviation content. But I'm afaid most of you probably missed a classic there this morning - a short from the forties featuring Charles Hawtrey entitled 'How to refuel your two stroke motorcycle engine'. How that missed the Oscar nominations is beyond me! Fortunately for those contemplating jumping off a cliff at having missed it, it's available on youtube.

I know it's not re the Oxford but I think the Rover P6 came out in 1963 not 1961.

It's Airspeed Consul G-AJNE in 'Breaking Point'.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1512426

M-62A.

Further to your extract from the A-B book, the status of G-AJLR has changed since it was displayed by Singapore Airlines. The airframe had once been held by the RAF Museum as a source of parts for their Oxford. It was disposed of by the RAFM - they referred to it back then as just vestigial remains - but that really didn’t do it justice!

Singapore Airlines obtained it to display for a while during a significant anniversary of the airline. They did an amazing restoration to static display condition, painted as VR-SDC to represent their first aircaft which was a Consul. Sadly after their celebrations it was moved to a local heritage centre but unbelievably (for a wooden airframe) was put on display outdoors! The inevitable happened and it rapidly deteriorated and was seriously damaged by the weather.

Many years later the airline (I think) decided to have it restored again. Reportedly the remains were sent to New Zealand for attention. The location and status of G-AJLR are now uncertain. I tried to track it down during a visit to NZ but to no avail. It would be interesting to know if it does survive, where it really is and whether it might surface again one day.

Since Consul G-AIKR has now been restored to Oxford configuration in NZ, G-AJLR would be the World’s sole surviving Consul.
    Last edited by Consul; 14th May 2018 at 23:11.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

I've recently discovered Talking Pictures too and there is some great stuff in it -

I watched The Man in the Sky for the first time the other week - look out for it if you havent caught it - Jack Hawkins and lots of Bristol Freighter action!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_Sky

TT
    Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
    Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
    www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
    Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

Can anyone identify the film which featured G-AJLR and in which the crash damaged G-AHGU acted as the 'stand in' for the former when the plot required the destruction of the featured aircraft? So far I've failed to do so and thus to be able to determine how terminal was the screen destruction of the latter.

Thread Information