Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Douglas DC6 G-APSA To Be Scrapped In February 2018

Interesting about the removal by road of a 6. The people who I know are planning to fly PSA out so don't know if it is SIXC that is planned to be removed by road by GJD?? Any ideas??

Just a little update via some second hand information that PSA is not under threat at the moment. Everything is on hold while somebody I know is trying to put together a rescue bid. The site of a new home has been secured, and in fact PSA would be returning to it's first home in the UK, and by air. However money , as ever, is the issue. Will keep you posted with anything I hear.
    If anybody hears anything else please share.

let's hope it works out!

A plan to save both aircraft is trying to be put together at this moment. It is a real rescue plan and not just rumour.

Good to hear, thanks for keeping us all updated. Good luck to all involved.

Interesting thread this, I've always loved the DC6. A couple of years ago (it might be longer, time flies), I was chatting to a chap who had something to do with the company/owner in the Cayman islands. He was explaining how they needed to raise £4 million, as it needs a respar due to the spar being drilled as a start of converting it into a bar, similar to the diner idea with SIXC.

I really hope that these aircraft get saved. The last time that I visited PSA I was told that there was an issue with corrosion in horizontal stabiliser.
    The only trouble with Blackbushe is the lack of a descent hangar.

S.B.
    Props are best!

Just over the hill from Croydon's best piece of history
    I hope so too, I thought 'PSA was one of the best acts on the airshow circuit in recent years...

Latest I have heard on PSA Is £2million is required to get her airworthy, even for a ferry flight. So if she were to return to Blackbushe it would be by road. need to win the lottery!

As much as I would like to see her flying again, as seen with other projects raising that kind of money is nigh on impossible! And I'm certain if someone had that to give, it would more likely go to the Mosquito, Typhoon or Sea Vixen, types that have a recognized air show demand as warbirds. It's a nice thought, but as a realist I'd not bet a penny on APSA flying anywhere!

Call the Doctor

Pity there isnt a DC-6 close by as a stab donor

Just over the hill from Croydon's best piece of history
    £2m seems rather a lot for an aircraft that was airworthy just a handful of years ago? If it's the tailplane, I presume a swap with SIXC isn't an option?

If a respar is indeed required I would say £2 million would be realistic. Whether a spar exists or needs to be manufactured I'm not sure of.

I'm amazed the airport is still open, there is hardly any flying going on except for a few Cessna's flying now and again but thats about it. The scrub land to the north of the airfield that is used for the northern approach is now being cleared for development and JLR just about own every bit of land in the area so I think it's only a matter of time.

A slow resurrection is underway at Coventry. They have just announced that there will be a FISO in place shortly, but it looks like just one as there will times in the middle of the day they won't be available.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Small update is that it would cost £10k to move by road ,currently racking up c£150 a week parking at Coventry. As ever money is the issue, may be a attempt at crows funding but time is running short.

G-APSA Today

G-APSA at Coventry, today, surrounded by Dakotas.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks 24 Threshold. What's the unusually-marked C-47 to the left? I can't find it on a search.

*edit* Found it. A gift for the Indian Air Force museum from a benefactor. Can't find the serial or rego though.
    Last edited by JollyGreenSlugg; 12th February 2018 at 02:33.

Its G-AMSV

Are the C47s still used or are they also grounded?
    pb::

Does anyone have any further updates regarding the aircraft here?

I have just been told , that both the DC6`s have been sold and will be dismantled before going to either Bruntingthorpe or St Athan, time will tell what will happen to them.

G-ANPK

Dismantled or broken up? There seems to be a bit of confusion between the two sometimes...

Sabrejet
    No confusion I only said dismantled and moved , nothing about them being broken up, I can only report what I was told. Came from a reliable chap.

G-ANPK

Would dismantling into roadworthy sections mean cutting? I'm thinking a DC6 isn't designed to break down into roadable sections.
    "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Thread Information