Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Douglas DC6 G-APSA To Be Scrapped In February 2018

Douglas DC6 G-APSA To Be Scrapped In February 2018

As the title says, she's being recycled next month; shame to see an old friend go, had lots of fun flying her around Europe in 1997/98.

Dont get your hopes up but have heard mumers of progress, can say no more.

That'd be sad, if it comes about. :-(

Anon.

Would be a crime Seems only yesterday she was flying.

Ooooo, perhaps it could become a drug runner like so many other 'out of ticket' DC6/7

Let's hope it gets saved: I'd rather see a static DC.6 than yet another bl00dy Spitfire replica!

'SAVED' means left to rot - do It a favour, send the engines & props to Fairbanks & melt the rest

'Saved' means put under cover.

Or why don't we just not bother and melt everything so we can part out the bits elsewhere?

FFS.

Aaaah - you mean 'saved' like the line of beautiful airliners at Duxford, which a bunch of folk work hard to keep presentable. Indoors it seems is a dream even for English built.

I'd rather it rotted outside at somewhere like Duxford while still looking tasty enough to inspire the next generation of pilots/engineers, yeah so its not ideal to keep them outside but sometimes things end up coming in after their tour on the gate and that's how rare beasts are made! I get sick of reading negative comments aimed at people who try to the best with what they have.........

What a shame! One of my most favorite propliners around.....

Jur

I'd rather it rotted outside at somewhere like Duxford while still looking tasty enough to inspire the next generation of pilots/engineers, yeah so its not ideal to keep them outside but sometimes things end up coming in after their tour on the gate and that's how rare beasts are made! I get sick of reading negative comments aimed at people who try to the best with what they have.........
    Various thumbs up to that one. Lots of good people are trying to do good things and often in 'pointless' work on subjects which 'the public won't be interested in'. Fortunately it doesn't deter those good folks and thankfully our aviation heritage isn't presented to future generations as just being a couple of Spitfires and a Tornado.

Thanks for the great photos, maybe all we will have left along with our memories!
    http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.83 times!

I think that man in the last photo leaving the ramp might be able to put us in the picture?

Just over the hill from Croydon's best piece of history
    My abiding memory of G-APSA is of her thundering about 200' over my head as she got airborne from Biggin Hill at one of the Air Fairs... oh, that glorious sound...

This is not the former restaurant example?

I guess the Midland air museum have declined her?
    pb::

DC6 Diner is G-SIXC, which incidentally is also facing extinction as the Diner closed down and the airframe is unlikely to survive too...
    The Museum simply don't have the land space for another large aircraft such as this I'm afraid.
    Pete Buckingham
    Former RAF Engineer
    Volunteer in Aviation
    http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

Mike Collett will have done all he can. He will have been paying parking fees for more than two years with no money coming in. Thankfully most of his collection have found new homes.

Any idea what is happening with the Dakotas?

Quote from SADSACK "Mike Collett will have done all he can. He will have been paying parking fees for more than two years with no money coming in."

FYI, G-APSA is not owned by MC (nor for that matter is the Diner G-SIXC).

Tim
    Last edited by Consul; 28th January 2018 at 22:50.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

hunterxf382 wrote:
    DC6 Diner is G-SIXC, which incidentally is also facing extinction as the Diner closed down and the airframe is unlikely to survive too...
    Douglas DC6 G-SIXC at Coventry 2010
    Last edited by Jur; 29th January 2018 at 13:23.
    Jur

Shame how much can change in 10 years

The DC6 Diner website is still live, had a couple of meals there a few years back, great experience. Has it definitely closed, if so when did they shut the doors?..............Martin

I have heard there is a stay of execution on PSA while a possible deal is put together. At least something is being tried, I can say no more.

The DC-6 Diner had a 'Closed until Further Notice' sign put up around the end of October last year. As of last week it was still that way.

Oh dear ... fingers crossed ! couple of photos from better days !

Keith

NOSTALGIA ..... It's not what it used to be .....

This is really bad news, after the loss of the C-54 at North Weald, I have great memories of a night flight to Coventry in 1992 in G-SIXC, I hope somehow these 2 can be saved.

I read a post on another forum today where the director of the firm which moved the VC10 to Cosford said that it was not going to be scrapped and knowing the individual I am confident that it will live on!

Good news, lets hope it is heading south as I heard a few days ago? Time will tell.

It's a WW2 era (virtually) aeroplane in great condition. It seems just nuts to be talking about scrapping it.

Thread Information